Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Citing COVID-19 concerns, Broncos players will skip voluntary in-person OTAs

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    All I found so far besides the Broncos is the Seahawks

Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks players say they won't report to voluntary offseason workouts
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eason-workouts
    Bucs too....

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    This is 100% them trying to do away with OTAs. No player likes OTAs. Okay, maybe 90% and the other 10% is about the 17 game season that none of them wanted. Sorry, you’ll never convince me that the Broncos players can’t get or haven’t gotten themselves or their families vaccinated. They’re millionaires who are currently in their 4th month off and pretty much every state is allowing anyone over 18 to get vaccinated, there just isn’t an excuse anymore. If the rest of us working schlubs can make time around our work and family schedules to get it done, they can.

They just don’t want to have to go to work. These guys were 5-11 last year with a second year QB who struggled, a young Oline who struggled, WRs who couldn’t catch anything so there’s probably no risk of catching COVID for Jeudy and Hamler, and a ton of injuries (probably from not being in game shape). But yeah, go ahead and take the time off for “fear of COVID”... stupid is as stupid does. When we look back in January 2022 as to why we didn’t make the playoffs again, this will be reason #1.
    Too funny.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

It reminds me of teachers who refuse to teach even though they’ve all been vaccinated. Their job is to play football and put a product on the field that fans want to watch. They were 5-11 last season. That’s not acceptable. I haven’t missed a day of work since the pandemic started. There are hundreds of millions of Americans who go to work every day so those players can have water, power, stocked shelves at the grocery store, stuff shipped from Amazon every day, fuel for their cars, and yes medical professionals who do more than tend to COVID patients to care for them and their families needs as they arise. Why are they so special? I really, and I mean REALLY hate the COVID excuse. You’ll never convince me that they’re more at risk at the controlled Broncos facility, with protocols in place, practicing outside, than they are doing whatever dumb shit they’re doing in their spare time with their families and friends. Sure, you can Zoom and Webex meetings, but it’s really hard to run routes and catch passes and look off the Safety and hit the sled laying on your couch eating Cheetos.
    To be fair, the health systems just recently started opening up vaccine portals last month? Anyone receiving a 2-dose jab would not yet be fully vaccinated at this point. Reading more specifically into the player demands, it seems the frustration is that the league is leaving COVID protocols up to individual clubhouses and no uniform guideline on safety measures has been agreed upon for OTAs. During the season, players had extensive lists of safety protocols they had to adhere to. Now? The measures being taken depend on local ordinance and it creates an odd landscape where 32 teams are operating under 32 rules, and the union is still concerned about exposure while those who want a vaccine are in the process of receiving their 2nd dose.

I don't think the union is being unreasonable here in asking for a league-wide set of facility guidelines. By the time the season starts, everyone that wants a vaccine should have been able to get one. Right now, it is close but not quite the case.

4. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

well, this will undoubtedly really help lock's development. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

6. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

If any teams are holding out the league should make them all virtual. Even the playing field as much as possible.

8. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    If any teams are holding out the league should make them all virtual. Even the playing field as much as possible.
    Yeah makes sense, then they should probably just set a deadline by which every player would reasonably have a chance to be fully vaccinated and at that point, it's back to work and if you don't want to get the shot and are worried about coming back, that's on you at that point.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Yeah makes sense, then they should probably just set a deadline by which every player would reasonably have a chance to be fully vaccinated and at that point, it's back to work and if you don't want to get the shot and are worried about coming back, that's on you at that point.
    Allow opt outs like last year

11. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

The only problem I have with it is your were 5-11 dude..... get the reps in on the field!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm fine with it on the assumption that they are balls out improving in whatever way is smart within team rules.

It's totes fine to treat covid as a still-lethal thing. Maybe smartest would be if the team ensured 100% vaccination. Idk, this gets into some nuance and so on.

Like Davii said, NFL should sack up and lead this.

HP, my reaction was like yours but I'm giving benefit of doubt that this was based on a wise admin decision rather than player lackadaisical nonsense. I don't think for a minute that our players (who didn't actually gaf about covid protocols and if we remember that led to Kendall Hinton starting a game) are the root. Maybe NFLPA, but then it would be more league-wide you would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The league is not mandating any player get vaccinated. Technically, they can’t force them to. They are, however, mandating any team employee who isn’t a player who comes in contact with the players or enters the “players’ area” be fully vaccinated. But, because this vaccine is only approved for “emergency use”, nobody can force anyone else to get vaccinated. It’s not the same as school vaccinations or military vaccinations or what have you. Until the COVID stuff is fully vetted and approved for normal use, they can’t force anyone.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 04-14-2021 at 12:43 AM.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm fine with it on the assumption that they are balls out improving in whatever way is smart within team rules.

It's totes fine to treat covid as a still-lethal thing. Maybe smartest would be if the team ensured 100% vaccination. Idk, this gets into some nuance and so on.

Like Davii said, NFL should sack up and lead this.

HP, my reaction was like yours but I'm giving benefit of doubt that this was based on a wise admin decision rather than player lackadaisical nonsense. I don't think for a minute that our players (who didn't actually gaf about covid protocols and if we remember that led to Kendall Hinton starting a game) are the root. Maybe NFLPA, but then it would be more league-wide you would think.
    It’s 100% the NFLPA pushing this. I’m sure every team will fall in line eventually but this is all the Union. They still swear that last year with no OTAs and minimal training camp that the product on the field was “better than ever”

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It’s 100% the NFLPA pushing this. I’m sure every team will fall in line eventually but this is all the Union. They still swear that last year with no OTAs and minimal training camp that the product on the field was “better than ever”
    Rog.

What a shitshow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

So, does this mean everyone gets to forfeit their workout bonuses? I mean, Von’s alone is $500 grand... that’s a lot of money to piss away because you’d rather sit around the house and eat Cheetos and play Madden for another week or two. I think it would be funny if the team forfeited all their workout and offseason show up for voluntary workout money. They’re bitches though, so they won’t because COVID...

Also, what about the rookies? We’re about to draft some young players to what, tell them to take the summer off and show up ready to play in August?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

The vaccine shouldn't be mandated. Its a personal choice as it should be. The NFL can decide to make it mandatory to be vaccinated to play and as a business can and does have the right to do so, but at the moment, we aren't there yet. Also why get fired up over players not going to voluntary OTA's. Who gives a crap if they were 5-11 or 12-4. They didn't want a 17th game and a longer season, and they don't want to go to voluntary workouts who cares.....Many of them are working out on their own and getting ready for the season. The offense is the same as it was last year and so is the defense. I'm sorry but they have every right to their free time like everyone else. Its voluntary OTA's!!!!!. I expect pretty much every team to follow suit except NE lol. Nothing is voluntary there
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 04-14-2021 at 02:03 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

19. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

It wasn't in Denver's case but they are actually quite a few metrics to back up that it was quality play all over the NFL last season even without a off-season, so the NFLPA has a solid case to fight not going or recommend not going to voluntary OTA's. Even before Covid many players were opting out of these Voluntary OTA's
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 04-14-2021 at 02:04 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information