Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best drummer. Metal, rock, whatevs.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

In defence of Ringo Starr – a masterful drummer and the Beatles' unsung genius
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...beatles-genius

His beats may not have had the furious technical clarity of Led Zeppelin’s John Bonham, say, or the phenomenal precision of James Brown’s drummer, Clyde Stubblefield. But what he had was perfect for the Beatles, where Bonham would have been too showy and Stubblefield too tight.

Most drummers recognise this. “Define ‘best drummer in the world’,” Dave Grohl said in a tribute video for Starr’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame presentation. “Is it someone that’s technically proficient? Or is it someone that sits in the song with their own feel? Ringo was the king of feel.”

What this means is that many of Ringo’s best performances go unnoticed. These are beats designed to enhance the song rather than show off the drummer’s abilities. Take She Loves You, the song that kicked off Beatlemania. Ringo’s brief introductory tom roll is the shot of adrenaline that gets the heart of the song thumping; it is teen mania in sound, and one of the most important drum rolls in recorded music history.

Consider Tomorrow Never Knows, one of the most influential Beatles songs. How would it sound without Ringo’s beautifully lopsided breakbeat, his unexpected twitching snare pattern emphasising the song’s feel of psychedelic discombobulation? How would Strawberry Fields Forever feel without Ringo’s fantastically weary tom fills, which seems to drag the listener down into Lennon’s nostalgia?

Some people consider Ringo to be a terrible drummer because he doesn’t play solos. But who, apart from other drummers, really enjoys a solo? Ringo knew this and for years resisted all attempts to get him to play them, eventually giving in for the 15-second break on Abbey Road’s The End. It’s not flashy or difficult, but it has an understated funky charm and when it turned up on Beastie Boys’ The Sounds of Science 20 years later, it was hard to resist a smile.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    In defence of Ringo Starr – a masterful drummer and the Beatles' unsung genius
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...beatles-genius
    Yeah. This gets missed by showy technicality sometimes.

Ringo was the king of feel.”
    Another drummer on that RS list said, about a prominent drummer, "he understands a wider vision for the landscape of the song and where it might lead." It's not about you, Dr. Strange!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ringo.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	18411

As the glue for the music, isn't the best attribute to marry all the parts in a way that draws no distraction? Isn't the pinnacle to be the invisible yet irresistible groove?

By the way, The End is one of my fav cuts by the 'Pudlians. When Jeff and I were swapping our weekly Beatles Top 20 in fifth or sixth grade, whenever it was, that one made it to #1 one week. No shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

3. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Adopted Bronco:

He often gets overlooked because he was a jazz drummer, but any list has to include Buddy Rich.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Nothing wrong with jazz drummers, there are some good ones out there.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Anyone seen the movie Whiplash? Buddy Rich is the kid's idol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

11. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Anyone seen the movie Whiplash? Buddy Rich is the kid's idol.
    Fantastic movie.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Art Blakey deserves some props.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

15. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information