Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best drummer. Metal, rock, whatevs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    To be the greatest rock drummer, not only do you need to be great, but you'd have to live like a rock drummer. It's my only knock on Neil Peart.
    Bonham and Moon had vodka for breakfast with a couple of hookers and a pet cheetah- that's rock.
    Peart had granola at his mom's house - and not that there's anything wrong with that. He could be the greatest classical, orchestral, jazz drummer.
    There's no rocknroll in granola.
    I thought Peart was a bit more into vices. Did you read his bio? I honestly don't know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Vodka for breakfast? Easy

Who else performs monster drum solos while blowing huge bubble gum bubbles?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Neil Peart is the best drummer ever. Period. Not my favorite, but the best.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I don't have a best drummer. Yet. But I found a top-100 list and some of the names surprised. Like Minutemen's George Hurley. But it makes sense.

"You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

This guy got a nod too.

Here's the list. I haven't made it to the punchline(s) yet. I'd guess it's the regulars--Moon, Bonham, or Peart.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...stanier-28397/

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I like lists like this RS list because it tells me about people I've never heard of like JR Robinson, the drummer on MJ's Off The Wall and a lot of 80's hits. He calls himself the most recorded drummer of all time...

I have a soft spot for the unheralded drummer who embraces the role of timekeeper...like this dude says:
    But he's equally at home sitting in the pocket and keeping a sturdy beat. "[As the drummer], I'm the employee," he told Esquire. "My job is to listen, learn, lead. And I understand I'm not the boss." With a sixth sense for what makes music pop and the patience to take direction, he's ended up as a go-to studio beatsmith for the Rolling Stones...
    The Hal Blaines of the world. Those are my guys.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I think one drummer that is often overlooked is Vinny Paul. Jay Weinberg and Joey Jordison should also be mentioned amongst the top tier of drummers.

A couple of my favorite drummers:
    Vinny Paul
    Chris Adler
    David Deipold
    Matt Greiner
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Here's the list. I haven't made it to the punchline(s) yet. I'd guess it's the regulars--Moon, Bonham, or Peart.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...stanier-28397/

I'm glad to see that they have Mitch Mitchell in the top ten, and my guy Carter Beauford is at least in the top 50. Seems like a solid list.

But is Ringo Starr really that good?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I'm glad to see that they have Mitch Mitchell in the top ten, and my guy Carter Beauford is at least in the top 50. Seems like a solid list.

But is Ringo Starr really that good?
    Idk man, I wouldn't have thought so either. But then you get this:
    Says Jim Keltner, "He was the guy that we all tried to play like in the studio."

13. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Thats tough because different styles call for different drummers. I'd almost say a session drummer like Steve Gadd should be near the top as they have to adapt to several styles of music. I don't know a TON of drummers but my top are (in no particular order):

Al Jackson Jr (worked with Otis Redding and Eric Clapton)

Now I'm on a Benny Benjamin deep dive...he was an OG motown drummer (Marvelettes, Four Tops, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Gladys, Wilson Pickett, Smokey, Supremes...just...dayum)

I ran across this spotify list a few weeks back, got some great drumming on it

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37...Ri-FEKDTAaGnAQ

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Now I'm on a Benny Benjamin deep dive...
    that's a name i was getting ready to dig for. . . nice one!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Ingo Schwichtenberg, former Helloween drummer, was the best drummer no one ever heard of. I'm sure Northman will agree.

Rip 1994
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:

Now I'm on a Benny Benjamin deep dive...he was an OG motown drummer (Marvelettes, Four Tops, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Gladys, Wilson Pickett, Smokey, Supremes...just...dayum)

I ran across this spotify list a few weeks back, got some great drumming on it

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37...Ri-FEKDTAaGnAQ
    also, if you haven't watched the documentary "standing in the shadows of motown," i cannot recommend it enough. . .
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

I thought Peart was a bit more into vices. Did you read his bio? I honestly don't know now.
    https://www.latimes.com/health/la-he...725-story.html
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

20. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information