Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Texans Releasing JJ Watt

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Default Texans Releasing JJ Watt

Boom. Good for you JJ. Go to a team and win a ring.

As someone who lives in Houston and has seen first-hand how important he has been to this city, especially after Harvey, it's bittersweet. He deserves better from the team he's on and he needs to go win a Super Bowl.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

2. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Houston Texans agree to release J.J. Watt at his request

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have released star defensive end J.J. Watt, granting his request.

Watt was drafted by the Texans in 2011 with the No. 11 pick and became the face of the franchise, winning three NFL Defensive Player of the Year awards from 2012 to '15. Watt is one of three players to win that award three times.

"I have sat down with the McNair family and I have asked them for my release and we have mutually agreed to part ways at this time," Watt said in a video posted to Twitter. "I came here 10 years ago as a kid from Wisconsin who'd never really been to Texas before. And now I can't imagine my life without Texas in it. The way that you guys have treated me, besides draft night. I mean, you guys booed me on draft night. But every day after that, you treated me like family. And I truly feel like you're my family.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...t-asks-release

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Would be great if we could get him at reasonable cost.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Guess he wasnt as beloved there afterall. Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Guess he wasnt as beloved there afterall. Lol
    Huh? They released him at his request when they could have traded him and got draft picks back. The team did him a huge solid precisely because of how respected he is there.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The Oilers might have got something decent in return if they had made him available LAST spring. Instead, they just let him walk. Could have probably added a 4th or 5th-rounder.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    The Oilers might have got something decent in return if they had made him available LAST spring. Instead, they just let him walk. Could have probably added a 4th or 5th-rounder.
    They might be the most mismanaged team in football right now. I honestly wouldn't blame any Texans fan for bailing at this point. They literally have a pastor with not much background as their GM. I have no clue what they are doing.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Huh? They released him at his request when they could have traded him and got draft picks back. The team did him a huge solid precisely because of how respected he is there.

So they simply gave in? To someone they really love? Yet they are willing to let Watson sit just to keep him on the roster? Im not saying the Texans hate Watt but the guy asked to be released and they dont even blink tells me he wasnt quite as desired as some might think. It comes across more as "thank god he asked to go" more than "yea, sure man no problem". At least to me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

So they simply gave in? To someone they really love? Yet they are willing to let Watson sit just to keep him on the roster? Im not saying the Texans hate Watt but the guy asked to be released and they dont even blink tells me he wasnt quite as desired as some might think. It comes across more as "thank god he asked to go" more than "yea, sure man no problem". At least to me.
    I think this is more an indictment on how incompetent their current front office is than anything. He is a god in Houston. He's basically that franchise's Elway in terms of popularity with the fans and he loves Houston. That tells you what a trainwreck that franchise is right now that even he wanted out. They literally don't even have football people running their football ops.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Pulled this form Wikipedia, this is the background of the GM of the Texans. Guy was a team chaplain with the Chiefs and Pats and somehow went from that to being a GM. How this happened makes no sense to me.

A*Columbia, South Carolina*native, Easterby lettered in basketball and golf at*A.C. Flora High School*and*Newberry College*and studied theology at*Erskine College*and*Liberty University.*He served as an operations intern with the*Jacksonville Jaguars*in the summer of 2004.

In 2005, while working as an academic tutor at the*University of South Carolina, Easterby was hired by*Dave Odom*to serve as the "character coach" of*Gamecocks*men's basketball team, and worked extensively with*Dawn Staley*and the women's team.

After leaving South Carolina, Easterby served the Kansas City Chiefs as chaplain, where he ministered to the team following the murder-suicide of*Jovan Belcher. Placekicker*Ryan Succop, who attended South Carolina when Easterby was there, recommended him to*Scott Pioli*for the position.

Easterby was hired*New England Patriots*in 2013, in part to deal with the*Aaron Hernandez*crisis. Throughout his tenure, he was the only man in the league to hold a paid position of character development coach. He described his work as "to serve the players mentally, physically and help them as people”.*He also helped the team with draft evaluations, helped orient new players, and held Bible studies and religious services. He grew close to*Bill Belichick, and by his fourth year, the football operations staff reportedly reported to him.*

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think this is more an indictment on how incompetent their current front office is than anything. He is a god in Houston. He's basically that franchise's Elway in terms of popularity with the fans and he loves Houston. That tells you what a trainwreck that franchise is right now that even he wanted out. They literally don't even have football people running their football ops.
    Dont disagree with this and this is what i was talking about when he wasnt as beloved. I wasnt speaking about it from a fan perspective but from a front office perspective. I dont blame Watt at all from wanting out and i can only assume this will encourage Watson to want to get out more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Not at all the case. Watt is as respected in Houston as anyone and when he speaks, people listen. He is, without a doubt, one of the most respected athletes in the world.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Not at all the case. Watt is as respected in Houston as anyone and when he speaks, people listen. He is, without a doubt, one of the most respected athletes in the world.
    Yea, read my post above yours as i explain what i meant more,

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Yea, read my post above yours as i explain what i meant more,
    Yeah, I still think you're wrong here. He is SO respected within the Texans organization that they let him go so that he could pursue a championship elsewhere knowing full well they aren't anywhere close to one. If that isn't a sign of respect from the team to the player, I don't know what else would be.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Yeah, I still think you're wrong here. He is SO respected within the Texans organization that they let him go so that he could pursue a championship elsewhere knowing full well they aren't anywhere close to one. If that isn't a sign of respect from the team to the player, I don't know what else would be.
    I would probably agree with you except they arent applying that "respect" to Watson who also would like to go somewhere and win a ring. There is no consistency with the FO in Houston in terms of respecting its players so i dont really buy into your viewpoint here.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information