Page 34 of 115 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Season Moves

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    I think you're severely underrating PL. Guy was an undrafted rookie, outperformed his deal by an stretch of the imagination, and came in and make a lot of big plays. It's one thing to say "Okay, he's not the guy," "He's not a scheme fit," "I'd rather see Royce get more carries" vs. "he sucks doesn't belong on a roster." Boone won't be in the NFL in 2 years and might not even make the final roster this year. Guys like Boone get cut at the end of every training camp for rookies. Boone is not as good as, and will never be as good as Philip Lindsay in any aspect of the RB position. Boone is a special teams gunner, and if he has to play any significant reps on offense, then this team is in trouble. There is absolutely no comparison between the two... Lindsay has actual accomplishments as an NFL running back and can make plays. Boone hasn't shown that.

The more closely I look at Boone as a back, the more laughable I find any assertion that Boone is somehow an upgrade. Is there any game situation where you would rather have Boone on the field as RB instead of Lindsay? Hell, even when Dalvin Cook went out, the Vikings preferred to activate Abdullah and give him additional carries behind Mattison instead. Boone is not an upgrade by any stretch of the imagination. This does, however, give the Broncos more roster flexibility on gameday. Usually, the special teams gunner has been a safety or a LB.

When people get past their emotions, this was the Broncos doing Lindsay a solid and letting him save-face by not playing a year on a $2 million tender where he would be on the bench. Lindsay was effectively going to be the number 3 RB, and probably having his snaps cut significantly because of his shortcomings in the areas yourself and others have mentioned. Shurmur started to trust Freeman more to spell Gordon, and Freeman had some moments where he looked like a guy that deserved more playing time.
    I think you're being exceedingly unfair to Boone. Lindsay is a more dynamic ball carrier, but he's also proven to be fairly one dimensional...

I've been a closet Boone fan for a few years now. He's an athletic freak whose potential draftniks were excited about. He's been buried on the depth chart behind one of the top 3 RBs in the league for his whole career - and I'd argue Mattison could start for a few teams as well...

Anyway, I'm not trying to be hyperbolic like Boone is going to be a revelation - but I don't think he's just some camp fodder as you're suggesting either. I think he'll be a solid contributor on special teams, and provide valuable depth at the RB position. $ for $, I'm not sure there's going to be much dropoff from the way they would have utilized Lindsay.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Avatar courtesy of Artist Faith Coyote

4. The Following 7 Users High Fived Spiritguy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    We need a stable owner in the worst way.
    Agree, this ownership by committee and family infighting is doing us absolutely no good! I'm somewhat afraid of the prospect of who would come in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Still a huge fan, will watch games, etc. but I'm not jumping up and down to spend my money on jerseys, tickets, etc. anymore. I'm right there with you.
    I find myself on Sundays watching, but going through my phone alot following other shit. That sucks! I hate it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I find myself on Sundays watching, but going through my phone alot following other shit. That sucks! I hate it.
    I think for me as well having seen a title in my adult life makes the games feel not quite as life and death as they used to. Could also be getting older and just having other shit to worry about.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Good counters from you and Davii. I just don't have a lot of optimism. Had it for the last 5 years and it's just gotten worse. My glass is empty. I hope it pans out and we get better. Just not holding my breath.
    Elway bringing in Paton breathed a little bit of hope into me. I don't think Fangio and Lock are the right guys to take us to the promised land - so at least they'll be evaluated with fresh eyes this year...

Not only has the playoff drought been brutal - but we keep starting the season in a massive hole, which means that we haven't even really had the opportunity to be playing meaningful games in the second half of the season -- which has added to the apathy in my opinion...

I'm hopeful that we'll look like Cleveland did last year. They were fairly dysfunctional in 2019 with Baker, but then turned a corner in his 3rd year. That's my optimistic take. My cynical take is that Fangio and Lock will make all the same mistakes again this year, and we'll be basically be back to square one this time next year with a complete rebuild. But at least it'll be Paton instead of John trying to find our next HC and QB? I guess that's positive?

10. The Following 7 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Do you cover your eyes every time Lindsay has a big run? As a runner, Lindsay makes game-changing plays. Boone never has. Those big runs aren't "stories," they are actual plays that take place on the football field that swing the momentum of football games. Boone is a special teams gunner and couldn't hold Lindsay's Gatorade when it comes to running the football.

Balancing Lindsay's strengths as a runner with his scheme fit, weaknesses in the passing game, and weaknesses in the interior running game, it is easy to see why the decision was made to mutually part ways. Lindsay was just going to be an insurance policy for Gordon if he got injured or suspended, and possibly could have even been deactivated on gameday depending on how the 53 man roster played out.
    Do I cover my eyes when Lindsay runs? Nah but I know he’s going down via an arm tackle majority of the time and lately he’s always nicked up and hurt. Lindsay rookie year was great for what his story was. Your only attached to him and his story. Let Boone get the touches the broncos had to force to Lindsay and watch what happens lmao.

Anyways it’s over now apparently, good luck to Lindsay wherever he goes aslong as it’s the NFC, if he goes to a division rival then lol he can ride the injury report like he been doing.

I think for me as well having seen a title in my adult life makes the games feel not quite as life and death as they used to. Could also be getting older and just having other shit to worry about.
    Unfortunately that is just settling into the fact of stinking and not a damn thing we can do about it.

14. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Elway bringing in Paton breathed a little bit of hope into me. I don't think Fangio and Lock are the right guys to take us to the promised land - so at least they'll be evaluated with fresh eyes this year...

Not only has the playoff drought been brutal - but we keep starting the season in a massive hole, which means that we haven't even really had the opportunity to be playing meaningful games in the second half of the season -- which has added to the apathy in my opinion...

I'm hopeful that we'll look like Cleveland did last year. They were fairly dysfunctional in 2019 with Baker, but then turned a corner in his 3rd year. That's my optimistic take. My cynical take is that Fangio and Lock will make all the same mistakes again this year, and we'll be basically be back to square one this time next year with a complete rebuild. But at least it'll be Paton instead of John trying to find our next HC and QB? I guess that's positive?
    I don't think Fangio is it. Nice guy and he settled things down much the way of Fox, but Fox had a killer instinct that I think Fangio has on defense, but not as a head coach in charge of everything. The time management stuff just keeps happening so I don't know if he has the ability to fix it.

I still love me some Elway, but I am happy we moved on and I do have some trust in Paton, I am excited in his belief in the draft. I want to be excited for draft day again and have confidence that our scouting dept has done their job.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post

If we have to replace the HC the only reason I have more faith in Paton choosing is I know he hasn't been in the building long enough to be swayed by the Denver connection to people. Dennis Allen doesn't get the job because he was here and did a good job as DC, nobody with the last name Kubiak automatically gets a headstart, etc.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It's a shame he never worked out here. I liked the pick at the time taking a gamble on the talent but he just couldn't stay healthy.

19. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Good counters from you and Davii. I just don't have a lot of optimism. Had it for the last 5 years and it's just gotten worse. My glass is empty. I hope it pans out and we get better. Just not holding my breath.
    Still a huge fan, will watch games, etc. but I'm not jumping up and down to spend my money on jerseys, tickets, etc. anymore. I'm right there with you.
    I'm in this group too. It sucks, but there is multiple factors in my decision to dial it back a little bit when it comes to sports in general.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

It's a shame he never worked out here. I liked the pick at the time taking a gamble on the talent but he just couldn't stay healthy.

That was his problem. He has the talent, or at least had it, but he wasn't available enough to show that he had it.

22. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

That was his problem. He has the talent, or at least had it, but he wasn't available enough to show that he had it.
    The best ability is availability.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

24. The Following 6 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information