Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos eyeing Mitch Trubisky

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Convince me he's better than what we have.
    I mean, that's a pretty easy argument to win even if the only thing you account for is actual game experience.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Convince me he's better than what we have.
    He was a starting QB on a playoff team. I feel extremely confident neither of our backups would have done that. He's also just a few years removed from being a top 5 pick. I'll take my chances on that over two late round/undrafted guys.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I mean, that's a pretty easy argument to win even if the only thing you account for is actual game experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    He was a starting QB on a playoff team. I feel extremely confident neither of our backups would have done that. He's also just a few years removed from being a top 5 pick. I'll take my chances on that over two late round/undrafted guys.
    Thanks. I was just curious where you were coming from.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Just curious the type of player any of you are expecting to have as the backup. Or is everyone fine rolling Driskel and Rypien back out there?
    I just dont think Tribisket is really an upgrade nor a veteran presence. Either roll with what we have or sign a guy like Fitz. To me signing Tribisket would add more issues because he is still very young and if Lock messes up there would be this "Qb battle" that MO often talks about. At least with a guy like Fitz you know he is on borrowed time. But i also dont think Mitch is looking to be a backup anywhere to be honest.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Thanks. I was just curious where you were coming from.
    I have no allusions he'd ever play meaningful games for us and that it would go particularly well, but Lock's backups were a disaster last year. We're absolutely going to add someone with some sort of starting experience to come in and be the backup/push Lock. And I feel like Mitch is as good as any of those options. That is assuming we don't pull some miracle and land Watson.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I just dont think Tribisket is really an upgrade nor a veteran presence. Either roll with what we have or sign a guy like Fitz. To me signing Tribisket would add more issues because he is still very young and if Lock messes up there would be this "Qb battle" that MO often talks about. At least with a guy like Fitz you know he is on borrowed time. But i also dont think Mitch is looking to be a backup anywhere to be honest.
    I don't think Mitch will have a choice. No one is going to sign him as their starter. I don't really see Fitz as any different than Mitch. He was pouty last year when they benched him for Tua, so I think he'll be every bit as hungry to start.

I don't really care if it's Mitch or some other guy, but we're gonna bring someone in with starting experience and he's going to push Lock. Then we find out if he really has the goods.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I don't think Mitch will have a choice. No one is going to sign him as their starter. I don't really see Fitz as any different than Mitch. He was pouty last year when they benched him for Tua, so I think he'll be every bit as hungry to start.

I don't really care if it's Mitch or some other guy, but we're gonna bring someone in with starting experience and he's going to push Lock. Then we find out if he really has the goods.

Yea, not sure i agree. If guys like Nick Foles can still get starting gigs i dont think it would be hard for Mitch to get one. He is still young, and has been in the playoffs on his resume.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, not sure i agree. If guys like Nick Foles can still get starting gigs i dont think it would be hard for Mitch to get one. He is still young, and has been in the playoffs on his resume.
    All the more reason to get him as our backup if we can! I want a guy who thinks he can start and will push Lock. Make Lock earn it and show he can handle adversity! If he wilts, we know he's not the guy and we can move on to the next one!

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I honestly don’t care if we bring in a guy to compete with Lock, but it better not:

1) be Ryan Fitzpatrick, the soul crusher. He’s the absolute least consistent QB ever. Plays a couple good games, looks great, Fitzmagic gets rolling, fan base gets excited, throws 5 ints in a make or break game for a playoff spot... every damned time. Just look at him vs us this year. He had Miami rolling and gave them hope only to throw a shitty pick to end the game when he didn’t have to.

2) cost us more than say, a 4th round pick. A 4th round pick is acceptable for a guy who might just end up a backup but who could, if he asserts himself, push for a a starting spot. If we’re spending a pick above a 4th round pick on a backup, just get a dude like Bortles or one of the many street FA journeyman backups for vet minimum.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Just stick with Drew Lock. 2020 was his first full season. He didn't play full season in 2019. Season 2021 will be his last chance to prove himself to be an NFL quarterback. IF GM Paton wants a new QB... I am interested in Watson or Trevor Lawrence. That's it.
    I get it but we can't roll with Case rypien and Driskel it would be negligent as a GM. Trubisky is in the same boat as lock, no one really knows what kind of playter he is. I'm sorry but Lock is feeling zero pressure from someone like Driskel or Case. a guy like Trubisky means we are protecting against a lock injury or downgrade in performance, while also pushing Lock to get better. The good/great Qb's perform when challenged. Big reason why Flacco was so shitty, and a guy like Aaron Rodgers at 37 has a MVP campaign after being challenged by the drafting of a 1st rd pick. Hell even Alex smith played well after Mahomes was drafted......

I want Lock to be like F that. I'm the guy so let me show you....I would hope he had that same mentality even if Watson came in.....We need a Trubisky, Dalton, McCown, Fitz type number 2...I really do believe that.....I'm also with Wave if they outperform Lock in preseason and off-season well that's locks fault and he isn't the guy then....I have high faith and hope for Lock I really do. I think he is going to ball out next year, but I would also like a little bit of pressure and challenge to be given as well.
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 02-03-2021 at 06:14 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

14. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I honestly don’t care if we bring in a guy to compete with Lock, but it better not:

1) be Ryan Fitzpatrick, the soul crusher. He’s the absolute least consistent QB ever. Plays a couple good games, looks great, Fitzmagic gets rolling, fan base gets excited, throws 5 ints in a make or break game for a playoff spot... every damned time. Just look at him vs us this year. He had Miami rolling and gave them hope only to throw a shitty pick to end the game when he didn’t have to.

2) cost us more than say, a 4th round pick. A 4th round pick is acceptable for a guy who might just end up a backup but who could, if he asserts himself, push for a a starting spot. If we’re spending a pick above a 4th round pick on a backup, just get a dude like Bortles or one of the many street FA journeyman backups for vet minimum.
    I do still believe Bortles would be good in Denver as a number 2
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    I get it but we can't roll with Case rypien and Driskel it would be negligent as a GM. Trubisky is in the same boat as lock, no one really knows what kind of playter he is. I'm sorry but Lock is feeling zero pressure from someone like Driskel or Case. a guy like Trubisky means we are protecting against a lock injury or downgrade in performance, while also pushing Lock to get better. The good/great Qb's perform when challenged. Big reason why Flacco was so shitty, and a guy like Aaron Rodgers at 37 has a MVP campaign after being challenged by the drafting of a 1st rd pick. Hell even Alex smith played well after Mahomes was drafted......

I want Lock to be like F that. I'm the guy so let me show you....I would hope he had that same mentality even if Watson came in.....We need a Trubisky, Dalton, McCown, Fitz type number 2...I really do believe that.....I'm also with Wave if they outperform Lock in preseason and off-season well that's locks fault and he isn't the guy then....I have high faith and hope for Lock I really do. I think he is going to ball out next year, but I would also like a little bit of pressure and challenge to be given as well.
    All this. Time to light a little fire under Lock's seat and see what he does.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I remember when Trubisky lit us up in the preseason his rookie year and I was convinced he was going to be pretty good...

My main problem with him is that he possesses a lot of the same flaws as Lock. He can torch bad defenses, he can create a little bit of time getting out of the pocket, and he can hit open WRs. He doesn't really throw with good anticipation, doesn't have a great track record against solid defenses, and doesn't seem to have that high football IQ you need from the position.

As an aside, I hate the politics of the NFL where it's very unlikely the Broncos would pair Lock with another 1st rd QB draft pick this year. Conventional wisdom says that you either have to give Lock another year and pair him with a veteran backup or you have to replace him with an experienced starter... Why not just treat it like another position where you're building depth? If you suddenly have two competent QBs, that's a great problem to have. Not knowing who may be there for us this year, I hope we are at least leaving all options open in the first round - including drafting another QB.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I remember when Trubisky lit us up in the preseason his rookie year and I was convinced he was going to be pretty good...

My main problem with him is that he possesses a lot of the same flaws as Lock. He can torch bad defenses, he can create a little bit of time getting out of the pocket, and he can hit open WRs. He doesn't really throw with good anticipation, doesn't have a great track record against solid defenses, and doesn't seem to have that high football IQ you need from the position.

As an aside, I hate the politics of the NFL where it's very unlikely the Broncos would pair Lock with another 1st rd QB draft pick this year. Conventional wisdom says that you either have to give Lock another year and pair him with a veteran backup or you have to replace him with an experienced starter... Why not just treat it like another position where you're building depth? If you suddenly have two competent QBs, that's a great problem to have. Not knowing who may be there for us this year, I hope we are at least leaving all options open in the first round - including drafting another QB.
    I think any and all options need to be considered at the QB position this offseason. Keep throwing darts until one hits. This becomes even more vital if the raiders (barf) land Watson.

22. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Conventional wisdom says that you either have to give Lock another year and pair him with a veteran backup or you have to replace him with an experienced starter...
    This is where im at.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information