Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do about Von...

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Default What to do about Von...

Taking emotion completely out of the equation and assuming the legal stuff doesn't destroy his career on it's own, what do we do with Von going forward? Extend? Cut? Pick up option? Trade?

https://t.co/FgKc8GrvwG

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I actually have no problem trading him if we can get something worth while out of it. He isnt getting any younger and the defense this past year showed it can survive without him on the roster. In a perfect world it would be nice to have him retire a Bronco but that really isnt the reality of the NFL the past couple of decades. At worse we could always do with him that we did with Atwater when he finally retired. Never the less, the issues that have come up recently certainly dont help his situation currently.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Assuming he's cleared of the legal stuff, the only way I'm trading him is if it returns a legit QB. Otherwise, I'm keeping him.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Assuming he's cleared of the legal stuff, the only way I'm trading him is if it returns a legit QB. Otherwise, I'm keeping him.
    At $22mil?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    At $22mil?
    As long as we're not paying a QB I have no issue paying him that. We have plenty of cap room still.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Von is 32 years old and a future Hall of Famer. Bringing Von back is an EASY decision, even at $18 million. It's a no-brainer to me. Maybe you approach him about a 4 year extension with more guarantees in exchange for dropping his salary, but unless he finds himself in more legal trouble, I just don't see the organization moving on from him. The Texans had a similar dilemma with Watt coming off an injury and a high salary, but at the end of the day this is an All-Pro player when healthy who is a face of the franchise.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Von is 32 years old and a future Hall of Famer. Bringing Von back is an EASY decision, even at $18 million. It's a no-brainer to me. Maybe you approach him about a 4 year extension with more guarantees in exchange for dropping his salary, but unless he finds himself in more legal trouble, I just don't see the organization moving on from him. The Texans had a similar dilemma with Watt coming off an injury and a high salary, but at the end of the day this is an All-Pro player when healthy who is a face of the franchise.
    And how is that working for Houston? I wouldn't use their decision making as a basis for any argument right now.

That said...I'm for short extension/restructure. Not paying 18+ million for him going forward.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    And how is that working for Houston? I wouldn't use their decision making as a basis for any argument right now.

That said...I'm for short extension/restructure. Not paying 18+ million for him going forward.
    He came back and was First Team All-Pro. Point is, you don't cut loose a first ballot Hall of Famer at age 32. Von is worth every penny to this franchise and has lived up to his end of the deal.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'm indifferent on him at this point. There's no guarantee he's going to come back next year and get 10+ sacks. There's no guarantee he's going to be 80% of what he's been. He could also be potentially facing league discipline under their personal conduct policy if I'm not mistaken. At this point though, cutting him to save money is not an option. If Elway makes the decision to unload Von, it HAS to be through a trade and the net HAS to be right.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

16. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I'm indifferent on him at this point. There's no guarantee he's going to come back next year and get 10+ sacks. There's no guarantee he's going to be 80% of what he's been. He could also be potentially facing league discipline under their personal conduct policy if I'm not mistaken. At this point though, cutting him to save money is not an option. If Elway makes the decision to unload Von, it HAS to be through a trade and the net HAS to be right.
    Totally agree. He's still a premium asset. I'd love to keep him, and I'm sure as hell not giving him away, but if we get a killer trade offer, I'm definitely listening. No player (other than a Mahomes level QB) is untouchable.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Totally agree. He's still a premium asset. I'd love to keep him, and I'm sure as hell not giving him away, but if we get a killer trade offer, I'm definitely listening. No player (other than a Mahomes level QB) is untouchable.
    It's looking more and more like Watson will ultimately get trading if he waives his no-trade clause. I think New Orleans will be a dark horse team that could land Watson in a trade, but Denver must consider all viable options to try to land Watson. There are not many teams in the league that are in a position to field a competitive team and have the cap space available to make a trade for a player that has Watson's hit. If it takes Von and a package of players/picks to make that happen, they have to do it. Otherwise, Denver should just hang on to him and try to re-work his contract some.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

It's looking more and more like Watson will ultimately get trading if he waives his no-trade clause. I think New Orleans will be a dark horse team that could land Watson in a trade, but Denver must consider all viable options to try to land Watson. There are not many teams in the league that are in a position to field a competitive team and have the cap space available to make a trade for a player that has Watson's hit. If it takes Von and a package of players/picks to make that happen, they have to do it. Otherwise, Denver should just hang on to him and try to re-work his contract some.
    Watson would probably foam at the mouth to land in NO.

22. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Watson would probably foam at the mouth to land in NO.
    I didn't realize NO was in such bad shape cap-wise until just reading UA's thread. I retract my previous statement.

24. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Houston would not want Von. They would want Chubb(or other young players and draft picks). Von is a player you would go after if you're interesting in winning right now, which the Texans would not be doing if they traded away Watson.

I would probably put his value at 2 3rd round picks, maybe a 2nd. A lot of his value will be determined by what JJ Watt goes for.

I can't think of an obvious suitor for Von either. Maybe Dallas? Baltimore? The Jets? Cleveland? Miami? New England? Extremely difficult to forecast what those teams would value Von at. If Von comes back healthy, he is a 10+ sack player for us. Would a 3rd round pick be worth that production in a playoff-or-bust year for Fangio? Probably not. Even if Paton has a guy in mind for HC, I don't see him hanging Fangio out to dry by getting rid of Von unless the deal makes sense.

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Houston would not want Von. They would want Chubb(or other young players and draft picks). Von is a player you would go after if you're interesting in winning right now, which the Texans would not be doing if they traded away Watson.

I would probably put his value at 2 3rd round picks, maybe a 2nd. A lot of his value will be determined by what JJ Watt goes for.

I can't think of an obvious suitor for Von either. Maybe Dallas? Baltimore? The Jets? Cleveland? Miami? New England? Extremely difficult to forecast what those teams would value Von at. If Von comes back healthy, he is a 10+ sack player for us. Would a 3rd round pick be worth that production in a playoff-or-bust year for Fangio? Probably not. Even if Paton has a guy in mind for HC, I don't see him hanging Fangio out to dry by getting rid of Von unless the deal makes sense.
    I think Von could be had for a second and third. He's worth that much. I don't think JJ Watt's trade value affects Von's because they play different positions and JJ has taken more of a beating over his career than Von has. I also could see the side of, well, if they're going to trade him away just to unload his salary, take what you can get. But I think a packaged deal with Von and Denver's second could net a pretty good return.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information