Page 25 of 105 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast

Thread: Watson apparently not happy.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler13 View Post
    Two #1s is my limit on this Watson thing. The thing that has me questioning this is why not just draft Fields? His pro comparison is Watson imo so if there that he’ll bent on dumping lock why not just draft Fields and save all the draft capital?
    Somebody name for me the last Ohio State QB that was a star in the NFL? Terrelle Pryor? Art Schlichter? Tom Matte? Kirk Herbstreit? Fact is, most of the great Buckeye QBs turn into guys like Dwayne Haskins at the next level.

Yes, I said the same thing about Texas Tech before Mahomes was drafted but Mahomes is just some sort of space alien that defies logic.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Somebody name for me the last Ohio State QB that was a star in the NFL? Terrelle Pryor? Art Schlichter? Tom Matte? Kirk Herbstreit? Fact is, most of the great Buckeye QBs turn into guys like Dwayne Haskins at the next level.

Yes, I said the same thing about Texas Tech before Mahomes was drafted but Mahomes is just some sort of space alien that defies logic.
    The Texas Tech evaluation was fair though. Graham Harrell is the last hot take QB that I can remember coming out of TT and he sat on GB's bench for a while before he disappeared. But that game against UT where he and Crabtree dominated was a hell of a game.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    The Texas Tech evaluation was fair though. Graham Harrell is the last hot take QB that I can remember coming out of TT and he sat on GB's bench for a while before he disappeared. But that game against UT where he and Crabtree dominated was a hell of a game.
    Hell, i remember liking Kingsbury (i think he went to Tech) coming out of college but ultimately he didnt do squat as a player. Mahomes is just an aberration that KC managed to get lucky on which is unfortunate for the rest of the NFL especially the AFCW.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Hell, i remember liking Kingsbury (i think he went to Tech) coming out of college but ultimately he didnt do squat as a player. Mahomes is just an aberration that KC managed to get lucky on which is unfortunate for the rest of the NFL especially the AFCW.
    Most power five college programs only produce one high-level quarterback ever, because it’s so hard to be a high-level quarterback. The “don’t draft quarterbacks from XXX university” isn’t a thing. You could say that about Tennessee until Peyton Manning (they haven’t had one since). You could say that about Pitt until Dan Marino (again, haven’t had one since). You could say that about just about every college program until they do have a good one. You could’ve said that about Oklahoma until Mayfield, and the jury is out on their group of three in the league anyway. Just so few programs that ever have two, let alone three big time quarterbacks ever. Stanford with Plunkett, Elway and Lock? Notre Dame’s storied history and Joe Montana is their only Hall of Famer, and it’s been 40 years since he was in college. Does that mean don’t draft the next Irish quarterback because he went to Notre Dame? No. “Don’t draft quarterbacks from XXX university” just isn’t a thing.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Most power five college programs only produce one high-level quarterback ever, because it’s so hard to be a high-level quarterback. The “don’t draft quarterbacks from XXX university” isn’t a thing. You could say that about Tennessee until Peyton Manning (they haven’t had one since). You could say that about Pitt until Dan Marino (again, haven’t had one since). You could say that about just about every college program until they do have a good one. You could’ve said that about Oklahoma until Mayfield, and the jury is out on their group of three in the league anyway. Just so few programs that ever have two, let alone three big time quarterbacks ever. Stanford with Plunkett, Elway and Lock? Notre Dame’s storied history and Joe Montana is their only Hall of Famer, and it’s been 40 years since he was in college. Does that mean don’t draft the next Irish quarterback because he went to Notre Dame? No. “Don’t draft quarterbacks from XXX university” just isn’t a thing.
    On a larger scale I agree with you. But I think when you have schools like Texas Tech that have what has been considered a more gimmicky offense in a conference with a lot of bad defenses that inflates QB stats (Oklahoma is this school now) I think it's fair to have some trepidation when they pump out QB after QB who puts up massive college stats and does nothing as a pro. That's not to say you should automatically rule out a QB because he went to a given school, but in a case like with Mahomes I can see why people might have been gunshy.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    On a larger scale I agree with you. But I think when you have schools like Texas Tech that have what has been considered a more gimmicky offense in a conference with a lot of bad defenses that inflates QB stats (Oklahoma is this school now) I think it's fair to have some trepidation when they pump out QB after QB who puts up massive college stats and does nothing as a pro. That's not to say you should automatically rule out a QB because he went to a given school, but in a case like with Mahomes I can see why people might have been gunshy.
    If I was an owner and a GM ever told me he wasn’t taking a player because X other player wasn’t good, I’d fire him on spot. If someone passes on Fields because Troy Smith was bad, what are they even doing?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

If I was an owner and a GM ever told me he wasn’t taking a player because X other player wasn’t good, I’d fire him on spot. If someone passes on Fields because Troy Smith was bad, what are they even doing?
    I dont think that is really what we are saying here brother.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I dont think that is really what we are saying here brother.
    That’s exactly what Hoof is saying, he’s said it before.

11. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

OU QBs have been having quite a bit of success in the NFL lately, no? I don't think you can say OU QBs are doing nothiing as pros.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

That’s exactly what Hoof is saying, he’s said it before.
    Well, that is Hoof i mean come on. lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Well, that is Hoof i mean come on. lol
    Lol...but also if Chicago took Trubisky because of Kliff Kingsbury ... ouch.

15. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Sure, saying "don't draft OSU guy because the last few OSU guys were bad" is dumb. But if it's more of a system thing like "be careful of this air raid guy who passed for 5000 yards and didn't have to make reads" because this coach has a QB who does this every year and they never translate to the pros, I think that's a fair stance to take. That's not to say you should never draft an air raid QB, I'd just have to be damn sure they actually had the talent and weren't a product of the system.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Sure, saying "don't draft OSU guy because the last few OSU guys were bad" is dumb. But if it's more of a system thing like "be careful of this air raid guy who passed for 5000 yards and didn't have to make reads" because this coach has a QB who does this every year and they never translate to the pros, I think that's a fair stance to take. That's not to say you should never draft an air raid QB, I'd just have to be damn sure they actually had the talent and weren't a product of the system.
    I think NFL Scouts for the most part have seen through that. The other Texas Tech quarterbacks were sixth round, seventh round and UDFA until Mahomes. Fields, by all reports, is completely different than Haskins, who had all sorts of red flags in terms of attitude. Fields has none of that attached to him from what I can tell and has the talent (which Haskins does have).

18. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think NFL Scouts for the most part have seen through that. The other Texas Tech quarterbacks were sixth round, seventh round and UDFA until Mahomes. Fields, by all reports, is completely different than Haskins, who had all sorts of red flags in terms of attitude. Fields has none of that attached to him from what I can tell and has the talent (which Haskins does have).
    While the Texas Tech thing certainly shouldn't have been a deal breaker for Mahomes, I can still understand why a GM would have been hesitant to have taken him, say, in the top 2 or 3. If you like his talent but aren't completely sold that he wasn't a system guy and you're worried about him being a bust and you getting fired for being tricked into the run-n-gun QB who ate up bad Big 12 defenses, I can get making a safer pick there. Obviously in hindsight it seems ridiculous that he didn't go first, but at the time I think most people might have had similar reservations that would have made them gunshy picking him THAT high.

He also landed in the perfect situation with Reid. He would be good anywhere, but he goes to a Bears team with bad coaching and talent, I don't think he's in his second super bowl already.

20. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I wouldn't use the Ohio State QB theory. Maybe Fields is considered to be a UGA QB too? Didn't a certain Bengal begin at OSU? Fields can play IMO. He just didn't want to wait his turn at Georgia.

22. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information