Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New GM talk

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I can smell the meltdowns now if we hire a pats guy.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I can smell the meltdowns now if we hire a pats guy.

It’s Champ Kelly, not Champ Bailey... Klis should learn to proof read.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    It’s Champ Kelly, not Champ Bailey... Klis should learn to proof read.
    Looks like he deleted that tweet. For anyone who missed it, the text with correct names:

"Confirming Broncos have sent permission slips to Patriots for Dave Ziegler, who was with Broncos from 2010-12 and Vikings assistant GM George Paton, whose nephew Rob Paton is a Broncos scout. Bears Champ Kelly received permission for GM interview earlier today. #9sports"

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Rick Smith hiring Bill O'Brien was what soured me on him.
    BOB was actually paying off, it’s BOB you should be blaming for BOB.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Looks like he deleted that tweet. For anyone who missed it, the text with correct names:

"Confirming Broncos have sent permission slips to Patriots for Dave Ziegler, who was with Broncos from 2010-12 and Vikings assistant GM George Paton, whose nephew Rob Paton is a Broncos scout. Bears Champ Kelly received permission for GM interview earlier today. #9sports"
    JFC! No more Cheatriot ass-holes.

Especially an Executive, their roster is hot garbage.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

7. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    JFC! No more Cheatriot ass-holes.

Especially an Executive, their roster is hot garbage.
    Now I want it to happen even more!

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Rick Smith and Elway were both all in on Brock Osweiler... Wouldn't exactly inspire a ton of confidence to have those two teaming up to find the QBOTF.
    Brock re-signing here would have turned out okay. Many of the games we lost were because our offense completely stalled. Brock had chemistry with DT and Sanders, but his issues in Houston were developing chemistry with Hopkins and not being offered the same flexibility that he was in Denver. Brock was completely supported by the organization here and actually well liked by the fans at the time. I have every reason to believe that the Broncos would have been a playoff team instead of being 9-7 with Brock instead of TS, but I think that's another conversation entirely.

Brock was one of many failed Texans free agent signings, and I think they have a tendency to get into imaginary bidding wars for mid-range talent. Ahman Green, Ed Reed, and Brock Osweiler. Brock was definitely the worst, but only because Rick Smith had mismanaged the contract and the cap so horribly that the Texans actually had to give up a 2nd round pick to dump the contract. Rahim Moore and Jeff Allen were also signed to bad deals. The difference between a Rick Smith/Shanahan bad signing and an Elway bad signing is that the team isn't financially crippled from an Elway screwup. Even the Manning contract had escape clauses in the event of a flare up of his neck issue.

When I look at the Texans cap management since 2005, it reminds me of the Shanahan days in Denver where the team overpaid for middle of the road talent, and was always up against the cap. Don't get me wrong, Elway did briefly fall into this pitfall after 2015 with some of the extensions (as most champions do in all sports, with the Patriots being the exception), but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I think Elway has left Denver in solid cap shape and done a good job overall, especially when you compare this organization to ones like the Texans or Eagles that seem to have no clue. When this team was going to be in bad shape, Elway was actually able to get value for Talib, Sanders, and DT. Obviously, Talib and DT are now out of the league.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Brock re-signing here would have turned out okay.

He did re-sign here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brock.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	18160
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

He did re-sign here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brock.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	18160
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about when he left for Houston.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about when he left for Houston.
    Yeah at the point he came back here he was pretty much broken. I do think had he never left he could have blossomed into a decent starter for us, maybe a Ryan Tannehill type.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Brock re-signing here would have turned out okay. Many of the games we lost were because our offense completely stalled. Brock had chemistry with DT and Sanders, but his issues in Houston were developing chemistry with Hopkins and not being offered the same flexibility that he was in Denver. Brock was completely supported by the organization here and actually well liked by the fans at the time. I have every reason to believe that the Broncos would have been a playoff team instead of being 9-7 with Brock instead of TS, but I think that's another conversation entirely.

Brock was one of many failed Texans free agent signings, and I think they have a tendency to get into imaginary bidding wars for mid-range talent. Ahman Green, Ed Reed, and Brock Osweiler. Brock was definitely the worst, but only because Rick Smith had mismanaged the contract and the cap so horribly that the Texans actually had to give up a 2nd round pick to dump the contract. Rahim Moore and Jeff Allen were also signed to bad deals. The difference between a Rick Smith/Shanahan bad signing and an Elway bad signing is that the team isn't financially crippled from an Elway screwup. Even the Manning contract had escape clauses in the event of a flare up of his neck issue.

When I look at the Texans cap management since 2005, it reminds me of the Shanahan days in Denver where the team overpaid for middle of the road talent, and was always up against the cap. Don't get me wrong, Elway did briefly fall into this pitfall after 2015 with some of the extensions (as most champions do in all sports, with the Patriots being the exception), but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I think Elway has left Denver in solid cap shape and done a good job overall, especially when you compare this organization to ones like the Texans or Eagles that seem to have no clue. When this team was going to be in bad shape, Elway was actually able to get value for Talib, Sanders, and DT. Obviously, Talib and DT are now out of the league.
    One thing I always look at is dead money from year-to-year. I think that is a very good indicator on how well a GM is able to negotiate contracts. Elway has been really good in front-loading or back-loading contracts to be able to avoid lots of dead money. He has also done a good job of not over-paying. There are a couple of head-scratchers, like Juwan James, but all in all he's done a good job in the contract department and Denver hasn't had a whole hell of a lot of dead money rolling over from year to year. That dead money is called "dead" for a reason and prohibits teams from actually using that money to sign players.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

16. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Yeah at the point he came back here he was pretty much broken. I do think had he never left he could have blossomed into a decent starter for us, maybe a Ryan Tannehill type.
    Osweiler is probably a real estate agent somewhere now.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Champ Kelly is currently the guy I hope we hire. With Elway staying with the organization, I'm thinking Denver targets a personnel director moving up in the ranks instead of a retread GM. Personally, I like this more because we've seen the body of work of a lot of these retreads, and it is completely a mixed bag.

Rick Smith gets all of this credit for JJ Watt, Hopkins, Watson, but then you look at some of his personnel decisions like signing Ed Reed (and letting Glover Quinn walk), and all you can do is shake your head. Let's give someone who has learned in a great organization how to run personnel their first shot at being the guy.
    The Bears have given permission to the Broncos to interview Kelly. This is who I'm hoping for as well!

19. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Agreed, it's been said the guys in the locker room loved him. Really dumb move going to Houston. He's as much as said so on The Fan.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Osweiler is probably a real estate agent somewhere now.
    With 40 mil in NFL money to sit on

22. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

SR

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information