Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos front office restructure

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I get the sentiment, but really doubt Elway has nothing but the Broncos' success first and foremost. I don't think his "ego" is a real thing, other than fans talking about it.
    It's human nature to have an ego. He's the most successful figure in Colorado sports history. It would only be natural him for him to have a high opinion of himself. This isn't a criticism. It's praise that he was willing to essentially fire himself for the good of the franchise. Not many people would do that.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    It's human nature to have an ego. He's the most successful figure in Colorado sports history. It would only be natural him for him to have a high opinion of himself. This isn't a criticism. It's praise that he was willing to essentially fire himself for the good of the franchise. Not many people would do that.
    I would argue that Joe Sakic is more successful than Elway, especially considering the state of the Avalanche now with all that he's done as GM, but I get your point.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    There has been industry speculation that Elway isn't the hardest working GM out there... Now you see that his right hand man Matt Russell is burnt out and ready to retire -- if nothing else I think it's good that they're bringing in someone new who is potentially hungrier than they are.

My concern is that Elway will bring in someone who he is comfortable with who won't really rock the boat or necessarily provide anything more than a buffer for Elway. I hope he brings in a strong voice and a fresh perspective... I will reserve judgment - for now I think this is a positive.
    Totally agree. If we just bring in a retread yes man who's going to keep the status quo in place, then nothing will change. I want someone with no ties to Elway who won't be beholden to his view of things. I don't want Peyton either. That's just swapping one retired QB with no prior front office experience with another. I want someone who has been in a front office and who believes in analytics to inject a fresh perspective into this franchise.

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I misunderstood the initial announcement - I thought it said Elway was retaining final say over the roster, but this is huge if he's truly turning over all roster decision making to the new GM. What a massive unexpected move this is.

7. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I misunderstood the initial announcement - I thought it said Elway was retaining final say over the roster, but this is huge if he's truly turning over all roster decision making to the new GM. What a massive unexpected move this is.
    Yes, it seems like a semi-retirement for Elway where he retains a fancy title and a nice office but isn't actually making the day to day decisions any more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Yes, it seems like a semi-retirement for Elway where he retains a fancy title and a nice office but isn't actually making the day to day decisions any more.
    But my initial concerns remain. If he just brings in some old school GM who thinks like he does, then this doesn't move the needle much... Really need to shake things up with someone who isn't just a yes man.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I get the sentiment, but really doubt Elway has nothing but the Broncos' success first and foremost. I don't think his "ego" is a real thing, other than fans talking about it.
    Very well said - totally agree.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

My other concern would be that we are kinda doing this backwards, hiring a new GM before getting a new owner. Say we get a new owner in 2 years who wants to bring in his own guys, we're just back to square 1 again. I'm hopeful this will all work out, but I could see it going either way.

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Rick Smith is a hard pass for me.
    Yea, I cringed when I read the name. No thank you.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

I read that he still makes final personnel decision.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I read that he still makes final personnel decision.
    Schefter worded it poorly. All the Denver media I follow is saying Elway will relinquish final personnel decisions to the new GM.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

My other concern would be that we are kinda doing this backwards, hiring a new GM before getting a new owner. Say we get a new owner in 2 years who wants to bring in his own guys, we're just back to square 1 again. I'm hopeful this will all work out, but I could see it going either way.
    Honestly, I think a worse position to be in would be another losing season next year and Elway overseeing another rebuild. The pressure is still on Fangio and Lock next year or they're probably gone - but at least we've gotten in front of that potential problem...

The new owner will want to put their stamp on things regardless, but we don't know if that'll be in 1 year, 3 years, never, etc. So I think it's good that Elway is managing to things he can control for now, and letting the ownership cards fall where they may.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Some things

John Elway will turn over the Denver Broncos' day-to-day operations to a full-time general manager in 2021.

The longtime general manager and president of football operations, Elway announced Monday he would hire a GM with full authority to oversee the personnel and football department.

"While I'll continue to be President of Football Operations in 2021, the GM will have final say on the draft, free agency and our roster. This person will be empowered to make all football decisions, working in partnership with Vic.

The Hall of Fame QB got off to a hot start as an executive with five straight division titles. Ending the Tim Tebow era, Elway recruited Peyton Manning, which led to postseason success, including two AFC Championships and a Super Bowl win. Elway's .565 winning percentage (96-74) ranks fourth in the NFL among current general managers.
    https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-to-...all-operations

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

21. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

What do we think about Adam Peter's? Has some ties but has also been with San Francisco under a different crew learning new things. Reportedly on short list for an upcoming GM gig somewhere

Don't know anything about this site but this is an article on the GM candidates out there.

Top 2021 NFL GM candidates to watch for

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Cleveland Browns VP of Football Operations
    Adofo-Mensah’s journey to the NFL is an interesting one. A Princeton grad, Kwesi worked on Wall Street until he was hired by the San Francisco 49ers. In San Francisco, he was the Director of Football Research and Development. Andrew Berry and the analytics-driven Cleveland Browns front office brought him in. Adofo-Mensah is an intriguing GM candidate, as he is regarded as an innovative front-office mind and possesses a “new school” mentality. A minority candidate, Adofo-Mensah will likely receive his fair share of interviews with the Browns’ recent success.

Mike Borgonzi, Kansas City Chiefs Director of Football Operations
    Mike Borgonzi has become a hot name in recent months with his quick ascension up the Chiefs’ front office. He’s been a scout for 11 years and has worked his way up the reigns, becoming promoted six times in 10 years. Working with one of the best general managers in the NFL in Brett Veach (as well as Chris Ballard during his time in Kansas City) and learning from former Chiefs’ general manager Scott Pioli have helped Borgonzi’s evaluations and developed his football mindset.

Borgonzi is at his best as a talent evaluator and takes a hands-on approach during the draft process — an area where the Chiefs have excelled as of late. Meshing that mindset and the skills learned under Veach about managing the cap and leading a Super Bowl team should make Borgonzi an appealing candidate for every vacancy.

etc. / more...

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/n...es-watch-2021/

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information