Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th pick possible?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I would never trade Von in a million years.

I would just take the best player available, preferably o-line or some baller defensive stud.
    That's where I'm at as well. Not a fan of mortgaging the future to pick a QB. I think Elway agrees with that sentiment as well. Assuming the picks given up to move to #1 and draft Lawrence were all perennial starters with a couple of possible Pro Bowlers sprinkled in, the sum of those picks would outweigh the sum of Lawrence, however good he may be. At #5, you have the opportunity to pick a player that will be, ideally, a day one starter at any other position. Also assuming that Bouye isn't with the team next season, CB will also be an area of immediate need. Safety will also be a concern depending on what happens with Jackson and Simmons, but I think Will Parks could step in and be an above average starter. Denver may also have D-line needs if Shelby departs and if Denver opts to ditch Casey. Draft the best player available that fills a glaring need is what I would do. Right now, QB isn't on my list of wants at five or ten or wherever Denver will pick.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    #5, Chubb, Simmons and a future #1’.
    Simmons won't be under contract when the season expires, so that idea is dead in the water.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    I think people are quick to forget that this is youngest roster in the NFL. If anything, simply staying the course and stocking new talent while developing young players will pay off soon, and keep paying off. This team needs an outside cornerback and an ILB that can cover/blitz. The defense is holding, but they aren't making enough plays to force turnovers. The situation with the offense is improving every week, and committing more heavily to the run game will do wonders next year.
    I like our ILB starters in Alexander and the white guy who's name is escaping me at the moment. The OLB situation is good. DE is good. DT is a concern depending on what happens with Shelby and Casey. Safety and corner worry me most on that side of the ball.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

We currently give up 230 yds passing a game, 131 yds rushing a game, and 27 points a game. I think there are more problems on defense than people are realizing.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    We currently give up 230 yds passing a game, 131 yds rushing a game, and 27 points a game. I think there are more problems on defense than people are realizing.
    Get back Von, Casey, our top 3 or 4 CBs and the D is not my biggest concern. There are spots we could upgrade for sure.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I hear you, but when the offense constantly gets stymied and gives it right back every time with a punt or a turnover and good field position...

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

A lot of that is that the opponents have more opportunity. Denver turns the ball over more than almost every team in football and has the worst turnover differential in football. More opportunity leads to more production generally. The biggest problems on defense this season have been injuries, suspensions, and COVID. The personnel hasn't been the biggest problem. Imagine if we had a healthy Von, healthy Callahan, healthy Casey, and if Bouye wasn't suspended. The defense is SOLID personnel wise. Had everyone been relatively healthy and not suspended, the defense would be stout. If the offense was 50% better and healthy, Denver has a really solid team on paper. A lot of the draft needs are going to depend on guys like Juwaan James, Shelby Harris, AJ Bouye, Kareem Jackson, Justin Simmons, etc.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Im just not sold that our LB's are that great and our run stopping has not been that stellar this year regardless of Denver's turnover issues. We need bonafide playermakings at both ILB and DL.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Im just not sold that our LB's are that great and our run stopping has not been that stellar this year regardless of Denver's turnover issues. We need bonafide playermakings at both ILB and DL.
    Inside backers yes we desperately need. I loooove our D line.

13. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    I don't think we "desperately" need new ILB starters. The white guy I referenced earlier, Jewell, is only in his third year and will continue to get better. Alexander is a badass and I'm glad Elway took a flyer on him. If they pick defense with their first round pick, I'd almost guarantee it's a DB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I don't think we "desperately" need new ILB starters. The white guy I referenced earlier, Jewell, is only in his third year and will continue to get better. Alexander is a badass and I'm glad Elway took a flyer on him. If they pick defense with their first round pick, I'd almost guarantee it's a DB.
    Jewel is a liability on passing downs. Slow and white

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Fact is we havent had a bonafide ILB since Al Wilson.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Fact is we havent had a bonafide ILB since Al Wilson.
    Imagine Al Wilson in today’s NFL, that’s exactly what the Broncos need.

EDGE- Von Miller
    ILB- Wilson
    ILB- John Mobley
    EDGE- Chubby

I just got the weirdest boner.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

20. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Who’s taking bets on Shelby Harris coming back on a reasonable 3 year/$21mil kinda deal?

Everyone in town seems to think he’s gonna break the bank (like we all thought this time last year), I can’t see teams paying max money on a DL that is better at defending passes than he is at sacking the QB.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Who’s taking bets on Shelby Harris coming back on a reasonable 3 year/$21mil kinda deal?

Everyone in town seems to think he’s gonna break the bank (like we all thought this time last year), I can’t see teams paying max money on a DL that is better at defending passes than he is at sacking the QB.
    Yeah, but he does have more passes defensed than I think our whole secondary does combined... he’s the new “JJ Swatt”. His value is still a mystery to me, though. Obviously if we let Casey walk we can re-sign Harris. I dunno what the FO is gonna do though. The defense was solid (not great, but good) without Von, Casey, Purcell (although the run defense got worse without big Mike), and the other DL in and out of the lineup all year. Do we want to spend big to keep Von and Casey? I mean I love Von and hope he retire a Bronco, but we all know loyalty is rare late in a career. DT, Sanders, CHJ, etc are all evidence of that. Refresh my memory, did we sign Purcell to an extension? I thought we did like right before he went on IR.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information