Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bills’ patient approach with Josh Allen could be model for Broncos and Drew Lock

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Buffalo Bills’ patient approach with Josh Allen could be model for Broncos and Drew Lock

Wyoming offensive coordinator Brent Vigen still remembers the sound. The hiss. The vroom. The hum when Josh Allen threw the football.

“Some guys, you can hear when the ball is thrown — you don’t need to see who threw it,” Vigen said in a phone interview with The Denver Post this week. “That’s how it was with Josh. There was just a different sound when the football cut through the air. His has been the loudest.”

Now with the Buffalo Bills, Allen is making noise in a thunderbolt of a third NFL season that has him among the league’s top passers and his franchise on the cusp of a division title for the first time in 25 years, the last coming months before Allen was born. The rocket arm has been matched by play-making efficiency.

The Bills (10-3) visit the Broncos (5-8) on Saturday led by Allen, who is among the league leaders in touchdowns (28, tied for sixth), passer rating (103.3, seventh) and completion percentage (68.6, fifth among passers with at least 400 attempts).

When Allen arrived as the seventh overall pick in 2018, he had the arm talent and athleticism. The work by Vigen and Wyoming coach Craig Bohl was built upon by Bills head coach Sean McDermott and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. There were all kinds of downs during his first two seasons, capped by a come-from-ahead playoff loss at Houston.

But this year? All highs.
    rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/1...cos-drew-lock/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

As long as Drew continues to improve week to week he should be fine.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I would like to go back and read the Josh Allen takes from that draft year.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I was dead wrong on him. He just screamed bust to me.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I was dead wrong on him. He just screamed bust to me.
    Same here but i was mainly looking at his accuracy percentage. Ive been right about Jackson so far though.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

The thing is, there is no choice whatever. Drew Lock has to continue to start and Vic Fangio has to come back next year. That's not my opinion. That's Joe Ellis's view.

The Broncos are not respected by the NFL, or the national media. The disrespectful way they treated the Broncos over the COVID incident made that brutally clear. Until now Joe Ellis has been given a long leash. He was carrying out Bowlen's wishes.

But, the Broncos suck, and the heirs are fighting and there's no ownership in place. The NFL commissioner and the owners have clearly had enough.

Joe Ellis has 1 year left on his contract as does John Elway. The last thing he wants is to start all over again, hire a new head coach, fire everybody and find yet another starting QB. That would just emphasize the dysfunction of the Broncos front office and the lack of direction the last 5 years.

Better by far to have Drew Lock start to improve, and start him over next season. By then the court case between the heirs should be resolved one way or another.

If the trust wins, then they can either sell the team or appoint Brittany Bowlen. If Beth Bowlen wins, then she will fire Ellis and replace John Elway and clean house and start all over -- and hope that the other owners will permit that.

Most likely they sell the team. But, Ellis and Elway want to walk out as winners, having at least set the team back on the road to success. Not to have to walk away as total failures.

And the best chance for that is to just stay the course with Fangio and Lock and hope for the best. Because stripping it down to the studs and starting over with a new head coach, a new GM a new coaching regime, and drafting a new QB would just take too long.

2 or 3 years minimum, even if the right QB is available in the draft. And the front office just doesn't have that much time left. They have to get this ship in order pronto or the other owners will intervene and force a sale of the team. That might happen anyway of course. Its starting to look like it will be sooner rather than later. Ie. we might get some resolution in 2021.

In the mean time, if Lock looks at least marginally competent, let alone like last week, they will just cross their fingers and continue to hope he develops. Because there's really no alternative.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The thing is, there is no choice whatever. Drew Lock has to continue to start and Vic Fangio has to come back next year. That's not my opinion. That's Joe Ellis's view.

The Broncos are not respected by the NFL, or the national media. The disrespectful way they treated the Broncos over the COVID incident made that brutally clear. Until now Joe Ellis has been given a long leash. He was carrying out Bowlen's wishes.

But, the Broncos suck, and the heirs are fighting and there's no ownership in place. The NFL commissioner and the owners have clearly had enough.

Joe Ellis has 1 year left on his contract as does John Elway. The last thing he wants is to start all over again, hire a new head coach, fire everybody and find yet another starting QB. That would just emphasize the dysfunction of the Broncos front office and the lack of direction the last 5 years.

Better by far to have Drew Lock start to improve, and start him over next season. By then the court case between the heirs should be resolved one way or another.

If the trust wins, then they can either sell the team or appoint Brittany Bowlen. If Beth Bowlen wins, then she will fire Ellis and replace John Elway and clean house and start all over -- and hope that the other owners will permit that.

Most likely they sell the team. But, Ellis and Elway want to walk out as winners, having at least set the team back on the road to success. Not to have to walk away as total failures.

And the best chance for that is to just stay the course with Fangio and Lock and hope for the best. Because stripping it down to the studs and starting over with a new head coach, a new GM a new coaching regime, and drafting a new QB would just take too long.

2 or 3 years minimum, even if the right QB is available in the draft. And the front office just doesn't have that much time left. They have to get this ship in order pronto or the other owners will intervene and force a sale of the team. That might happen anyway of course. Its starting to look like it will be sooner rather than later. Ie. we might get some resolution in 2021.
    This post alone increased the odds Fangio is fired and they move on from Lock. I’m even worried about John’s job after reading some of this.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I don't know why Elway would even want to come back. I understand wanting to walk out a winner, but is that realistic? He should just cut his losses and retire.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

HP56 nailed it, Broncos fans don’t have the fortitude to support Allen.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    I don't know why Elway would even want to come back. I understand wanting to walk out a winner, but is that realistic? He should just cut his losses and retire.
    He’s built a talented roster.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

16. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Bump them.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    As long as Drew continues to improve week to week he should be fine.
    I’ve seen movies last longer than this optimism
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    HP56 nailed it, Broncos fans don’t have the fortitude to support Allen.
    Nah, he really didnt. Its been discussed at length before that Allen was actually showing progress as time went on. Lock right now is way to up and down but its ok none of make the big life or death decisions with the team anyway. I wouldnt lose any sleep over comments on a message board precious.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I’ve seen movies last longer than this optimism
    Who gives a shit? I mean really? Are you really that hurt about it? LMAO

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Who gives a shit? I mean really? Are you really that hurt about it? LMAO
    Dude, I love this, I predicted this. You go ahead and think what you want but in no way/shape/form am I negatively affected in the least.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information