Thread: NFL unanimously approves contingency plan for 16-team postseason

Default NFL unanimously approves contingency plan for 16-team postseason

According to this article, the NFL has agreed to expand the playoffs to 8 teams from each conference if a COVID-19 outbreak forces the regular season to be shortened.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...am-postseason/

IMHO, this is a horrible decision. The NFL has already expanded the playoffs so that 7 teams from each conference make the playoffs. Expanding the playoffs to 8 teams per conference almost guarantees that a team with a losing records will make the playoffs. Presently the AFC has 9 teams with winning records, but the NFC only has 7 teams with winning records, with Philadelphia leading the NFC LEast with a record of 3-4-1. I realize that the almighty dollar rules the NFL, but expanding the playoffs to include an additional team will just make the playoffs a joke and much more difficult to watch. Although it is extremely unlikely to happen, I don't want the Patriots to qualify for the playoffs as the 8th seeded AFC team. Would any of you want the Broncos to qualify for the playoffs as the 8th seeded AFC team? The 8th seed is merely a participation trophy to earn the NFL and team owners more money!!
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

This has always been Wave's issue with the playoff system which makes sense to a degree. However, since in the current setup a division winner gets to host a playoff game regardless of record its all they have to run on currently. Not sure why expanding it in a year where injuries, practice, and so are major factors is a good idea but the more and more this all goes on the more and more i like the idea of combining both conferences to just 2 divisions total and let the best records go into the postseason.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It's just for this year, and just as a contingency. I don't see the big deal. If your issue is a team with a losing record making the playoffs, that happens often anyway when you have division winners with losing records.

5. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    It's just for this year, and just as a contingency. I don't see the big deal. If your issue is a team with a losing record making the playoffs, that happens often anyway when you have division winners with losing records.
    My issue is two-fold. (1) Team with losing record that isn't a division winner getting into the playoffs and (2) adding another playoff team during a season in which injuries, Covid-19 absences, opt-outs, and the league-wide level of play is brutal. Just leave it as it is, get through this disaster of a year and season, use this season as a learning tool, and look forward to next year and season when hopefully Covid-19 will be under more or better control and/or the NFL is able to adjust its procedures and protocols concerning Covid-19.

I think thats exactly why they are doing it this year. This year is a throw away year. They can expirament and if people don't like the results they can jjst blame covid. Its the perfect time for the league to try things out as the public already has the mindset of a throw away year. No pr needed. No manipulation. Try everything and what works great and what doesn't you have no recoil. No backlash.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

8. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Can you define "often"? I'm of the understanding it's only happened a handful of times.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Can you define "often"? I'm of the understanding it's only happened a handful of times.
    Fair enough, but I consider even once too often. I think it's ridiculous that it's a thing at all. But since it is a thing, I don't think it's a very compelling argument against it for this year. The eagles are likely gonna make the playoffs with a losing record either way, so what's the difference if a wild card team also does?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

It'll be used to get the Patriots into the playoffs. Mark my words.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    It'll be used to get the Patriots into the playoffs. Mark my words.
    I sure hope not. I don't want the Patriots getting into the playoffs as an 8th seed, especially based on what I saw Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I think thats exactly why they are doing it this year. This year is a throw away year. They can expirament and if people don't like the results they can jjst blame covid. Its the perfect time for the league to try things out as the public already has the mindset of a throw away year. No pr needed. No manipulation. Try everything and what works great and what doesn't you have no recoil. No backlash.
    If that is the case, then why didn't the NFL experiment with new PI review and/or challenge rules in this throw away year?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information