Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: the Head Coach candidates thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Scott Frost will be the next Broncos HC!
    So we can win four games a year and truly have a better backup quarterback than starter, and so we can pass on the eventual Heisman winner because Adrian Martinez?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Is that Jack Frost's son? Good bloodlines.
    Layne Frost, both are good for about 8 seconds .
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

3. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

so, some of these guys are about to be front and center. . . some of the names that i mentioned in the first post are getting a lot of love in the news/interview cycle. . . specifically, bienemy, matt eberflus and robert saleh. . . somewhat surprisingly to me, urban meyer seems to be the top name among college coaches. . . i know his results were impressive, and pro owners may not care that much about college scandals (pete carroll has done okay in the NFL), but i would have thought meyer's reported health problems might give people more pause. . . apparently not, though-- it's already been reported that the Jax job is his if he wants it, and that other teams are supposedly looking to interview him. . .

we saw kellen moore get interest for a college HC job, then get an extension as the OC in dallas. . . i haven't looked at the contract numbers yet, but florio from PFT has speculated that this is a similar HC-in-waiting arrangement to the one dallas did years back with jason garrett. . . jerruh has been similarly effusive in his praise for moore, and has stated publicly that he wants kellen there for years to come. . .

the other name from the original post who's also gotten some love is actually the guy who'd be at the top of my list for this year-- especially if denver was hiring a new HC, but i think he'd be a good fit in a number of places. . . that's brian daboll, the bills OC. . . we know everybody wants the guy who can develop a young QB, and daboll has done a lights out job with josh allen. . . i also like the fact that his resume does extend further than just one spot, even if this is the key accomplishment on there. . . he's a vet who's been around for a while, including several other stints as an OC, so he's not a completely wet-behind the ears guy whose only qualification is that they coached for mcvey or andy. . . daboll has sufficient experience in a lead, playcalling role. . . without being old enough to have that "career assistant" vibe. . . a nice mix of experience and upside, IMO. . . and he's shown that he can build an offense around a young, mobile QB, while also proving this year that he can have a lot of success running a modern grown-up passing game. . . i also don't mind that he had up close experience with belichick, given that he isn't some pats scrub who gets consideration solely based on the fact that he's on their staff-- he got a look at their program, but mostly earned his spurs elsewhere. . . of all the first-time guys on the market, he'd be my first interview. . .

so far, out of the vet coaches, marvin lewis and jim caldwell are the names i've seen mentioned the most. . . granted, they could also be rooney rule interviews, but i can see lewis maybe making sense if a team with a vet QB (like atlanta or detroit) wants to make a win-now type of hire. . .

in regards to future hiring cycles, i agree that leftwich is another name to keep an eye on-- he fits the profile, and i actually meant to mention him when i started this thread. . . the other name that i forgot is joe brady. . . he's raw, but we all saw what he did with burrough in college, and how joe came into the NFL looking ready-made for stardom. . . people will like the fact that he's young, but already has experience in both the NFL and the high-level college ranks. . . he's basically a more impressive version of kingsbury, with sean mcvey "boy wonder" type of upside. . . he and rhule did a solid job as mutual first-timers with very little to work with in carolina. . . the results weren't there in terms of record, but they were competitive with a very weak roster, and their best player out basically the entire season. . . i think JB is definitely a name to watch going forward. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 01-04-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Joe Brady is 3 years older than me. WTF

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Joe Brady is 3 years older than me. WTF
    you're not really all that young anymore. . .

this isn't exactly your first rodeo. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:

so, according to early returns, titans OC arther smith is a hot candidate, with interviews set with five of the six potential destinations. . . rams DC brandon staley also has multiple interviews set up. . . and it looks like the future could be now for joe brady, who has interviews with three teams. . .
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Dan Campbell knows a guy.

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

eric bienemy; i'm honestly not sure why he didn't get hired this year, and that in and of itself begs the question-- is he brian shaw, or is he just a victim of institutionalized racism? . .
    No.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I think it's absolutely possible that institutional racism exists at a high rate in the NFL -- that black coaches are serially underrepresented -- AND that Bieniemy might be a flawed candidate. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. It's gotten tiresome how the national media has anointed him. He was just atrocious when he was offensive coordinator at CU - I would give him a look but be very cautious about thinking that his proximity to Reid and Mahomes suddenly make him a can't-miss candidate.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I think it's absolutely possible that institutional racism exists at a high rate in the NFL -- that black coaches are serially underrepresented -- AND that Bieniemy might be a flawed candidate. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. It's gotten tiresome how the national media has anointed him. He was just atrocious when he was offensive coordinator at CU - I would give him a look but be very cautious about thinking that his proximity to Reid and Mahomes suddenly make him a can't-miss candidate.
    Bieniemy is also an Ass hole, all of the above is most likely why he’s still not given a HC job.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

From the little I know about him, I like Robert Saleh. I kind of want him to succeed with the Jets. This quote was interesting in its honesty --

“Players want two things from a coach. First: They want to know you care about their well-being. As a coach you make a personal investment in people.

“And two: Can you help them make enough plays on Sundays for them to get paid as much as possible.”
    https://nypost.com/2021/01/21/robert...paid-is-unique

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Is Kellen Moore really going to get head coach looks?
    https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021...or-john-fassel
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Feels like “we can’t have Frank Reich back so we’ll take his coordinator.”

19. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    hopefully, as denver fans, this is a discussion we won't be having any time soon. . . sadly, though, i'm not holding my breath-- and moreso, it's just a topic that i find interesting. . . coaching matters in the NFL-- a lot. . . here are some of my top candidates for the next couple of hiring cycles. . .

eric bienemy; i'm honestly not sure why he didn't get hired this year, and that in and of itself begs the question-- is he brian shaw, or is he just a victim of institutionalized racism? i have heard some whispers that he was a serious "party guy" at CU, and i would definitely spare no expense to do a super deep dive on character. . . but given the results achieved (under less than ideal circumstances) by pederson and nagy, plus the emphasis on offensive minds, IMO this guy belongs at the top of the list. . .

matt eberflus; yes, offensive mids are hot-- but that talent pool is also starting to get pretty tapped. . . and guys like sean mcdermott and brian flores are doing fine. . . eberflus got to learn from monte kiffin, and he is getting fantastic results this year in indy, without any overwhelming talents, and he did a great job developing LBs when he was a position coach in dallas. . .

kellen moore; he's raw, but promising offensive talent gets snapped up in today's NFL. . . dude has actually called plays at the NFL level, unlike the zach taylors of the world. . . he does have some pricey talent to work with (though this year's line is a shell of past iterations), but there's no doubt he's made the most of it. . . plus, former NFL backup QBs tend to make strong coaches-- kubes, doug pederson, frank reich, etc. . . they tend to be smart, low ego guys. . .

mike lafleur; he's basically the next zach taylor-- he's been with kyle shanahan since 2014, but i don't think he's the playcaller. . . his brother matt didn't have a ton of experience either, but he's thriving in green bay. . . given the demand for coaches on that side of the ball, i can see someone potentially rolling the dice. . .

the college coaches; kingsbury is getting some positive results, and rhule looks good out of the gate. . . as teams continue to mine for offensive talent, more of them are likely to look to the college ranks. . . i don't know shit about college other than people would love to make a run at lincoln riley, so here's where you folks pick me up and fill out this section. . .

more names to watch; greg roman, brian daboll, keith butler, robert saleh, steve bellichick, chuck pagano. . .
    Almost exactly two years later, I'm afraid it's time to dust this bad boy off again. It seems clear that Bienemy really does have some demons in his past. He'll undoubtedly be in the interview mix again as a Rooney Rule guy, but I no longer view him as a serious candidate. Eberflus did get hired by the Bears. Kellen Moore was big on the interview cycle this past off-season, and I expect him to be a hot name again next year-- the work he has done with Cooper Rush will likely gain some positive attention. I still think Mike LaFleur is a name to watch, as the Jets have made tremendous progress this year, and Shanny tree coaches continue to be in demand. Brian Daboll and Robert Saleh are both killing it right now. With the review out of the way, let's take a look at some guys I expect to be in demand in the coming cycle.

The veteran coaches are a small group. Sean Payton is the obvious crown jewel of the class. Jim Harbaugh is another name that will draw attention, but he does come with a huge ego and some obvious red flags. Dan Quinn got a lot of press last year, and his defense is balling again. Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano are still out there, and Leslie Frazier, but none of them are getting any younger. Frank Reich is a guy to keep an eye on if the Colts let him go.

On the offensive side, there's Moore and LaFleur, and Byron Leftwich. I think you can add Joe Lombardi, Shane Stiechen, Mike Kafka, and Ken Dorsey to the list of guys who may start getting some consideration in years to come. Maybe Brian Callahan as well.

On the defensive side, IMO Demeco Ryans is probably the top name to watch, and I do think Ejiro Evero is doing work this year that may get his hat into the ring at some point. Jonathon Gannon got a couple looks last year, and his unit is performing well again.

I still don't know anything about college coaches, and I'm not sure it matters.
    Last edited by dogfish; 10-24-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I was pretty against Dan Quinn last year but I think I'd be more in favor of it this year. He's coached on a team with Russ so there is a familiarity there, even though it was the opposite side of the ball. He has experience so he won't be learning on the job the nuts and bolts of head coaching. If he came packaged with a hotshot OC and Quinn just focused on the game management and let Eviro and the OC run those sides of the ball, I could get on board.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information