Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: the Head Coach candidates thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Joe Judge not looking so hot at the moment. I realize he’s five games in and his best player is out for the year, but John Harbaugh was just a special coach. Hard to duplicate that. How Ozzie Newsome saw that is what makes Ozzie Newsome the personnel genius he is.

I think it’s kind of like quarterbacks. You have to shoot your shot with these guys and hope. If it doesn’t work, do it again.
    Joe Judge is an old school type hardo who quite frankly I'm surprised is still a type of coach who gets a head job.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Is Kellen Moore really going to get head coach looks?
    that's just my speculation, but i think he could. . . what names you gonna contribute? i was hoping you'd fill in the "college coaches" section. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Is Kellen Moore really going to get head coach looks?
    Probably? If Zac Taylor did I think pretty much any young QB/offensive coach with success is in play. Wouldn't shock me if Leftwich started getting looks soon too.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    that's just my speculation, but i think he could. . . what names you gonna contribute? i was hoping you'd fill in the "college coaches" section. . .
    The one you mentioned, Riley, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near. His OU teams always get shellacked when they get to the playoffs and have to face a real team from the Big 10 or SEC. His gimmicky stuff works in the Big 12 but I wouldn't want him coaching my pro team. Granted Kliff had a lot of those same concerns and he hasn't been just awful in AZ so who knows.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    I think the coaches people want at the college level might not make the jump, but Lincoln Riley is the one that gets the most talk. It’s certainly the success of the quarterbacks that is fueling his name in the pro ranks. I like the idea of Riley better than Kellen Moore.

A name I never thought I’d hear in professional coaching talk came up in a podcast yesterday, and now I can’t remember who specifically said it, but Dabo Sweeney. I don’t think he’ll ever leave Clemson unless it’s for Alabama (alma mater), but for a national writer to bring his name up was very interesting. Caveat, that was speculation, not reporting. Might have been Robert Mays at The Athletic.

Interest in college coaches is all mostly based on quarterback success and scheme. Spurrier got his look because his quarterbacks were mildly successful and he ran a pass-heavy offense. Same thing with Kingsbury.

Other coaches, maybe, Dan Mullen at Florida maybe. This will get a strong reaction from SEC people depending on what school they root for, but he’s coached Alex Smith, Tebow, Newton, Dak Prescott. He was on the staff with Urban Meyer when McDaniels and Belicheck were talking scheme with them.

Kirby Smart might be an interesting one. Georgia. A former defensive coordinator who has built Georgia into the top tier (non-Alabama, Clemson division) of teams. I’d say outside of Saban and Sweeney he’s the best coach in the country.

For examples of those types of coaches making the jump you have, positively, Carroll and Switzer, and, negatively, Nick Saban.

All these guys are recruiters though. I don’t know how well their coaching extends to the NFL. Rhule was the type of coach that made more with lesser players.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think the coaches people want at the college level might not make the jump, but Lincoln Riley is the one that gets the most talk. It’s certainly the success of the quarterbacks that is fueling his name in the pro ranks. I like the idea of Riley better than Kellen Moore.

A name I never thought I’d hear in professional coaching talk came up in a podcast yesterday, and now I can’t remember who specifically said it, but Dabo Sweeney. I don’t think he’ll ever leave Clemson unless it’s for Alabama (alma mater), but for a national writer to bring his name up was very interesting. Caveat, that was speculation, not reporting. Might have been Robert Mays at The Athletic.

Interest in college coaches is all mostly based on quarterback success and scheme. Spurrier got his look because his quarterbacks were mildly successful and he ran a pass-heavy offense. Same thing with Kingsbury.

Other coaches, maybe, Dan Mullen at Florida maybe. This will get a strong reaction from SEC people depending on what school they root for, but he’s coached Alex Smith, Tebow, Newton, Dak Prescott. He was on the staff with Urban Meyer when McDaniels and Belicheck were talking scheme with them.

Kirby Smart might be an interesting one. Georgia. A former defensive coordinator who has built Georgia into the top tier (non-Alabama, Clemson division) of teams. I’d say outside of Saban and Sweeney he’s the best coach in the country.

For examples of those types of coaches making the jump you have, positively, Carroll and Switzer, and, negatively, Nick Saban.

All these guys are recruiters though. I don’t know how well their coaching extends to the NFL. Rhule was the type of coach that made more with lesser players.
    Yeah guys like Dabo and Mullen feel like college lifers to me. I watched 10 years of Mullen at MSU. He's a great recruiter and motivator, but his in game coaching often left a lot to be desired.

A guy I think could be intriguing, more along the lines of Rhule, is PJ Fleck. He took Minnesota from nothing to the doorstep of the playoffs last year. I could see him getting looks if he wanted to go that route.

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Yeah guys like Dabo and Mullen feel like college lifers to me. I watched 10 years of Mullen at MSU. He's a great recruiter and motivator, but his in game coaching often left a lot to be desired.

A guy I think could be intriguing, more along the lines of Rhule, is PJ Fleck. He took Minnesota from nothing to the doorstep of the playoffs last year. I could see him getting looks if he wanted to go that route.
    Fleck is a guy who should get top tier college looks or pro looks. Good coach to bring up. His schtick might be a little much for professionals, but he’s clearly a good coach.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Jimmy Lake and (I know this isn’t a popular name to bring up in Colorado, but...) Mel Tucker might be interesting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This is a guy who it's still WAY too early to tell, but Arkansas' new coach Sam Pittman is someone I'm keeping an eye on at least. Took over a team this year that hadn't won an SEC game in over 2 and a half years, and his his first 3 games they played Georgia tough, won at Mississippi State, shutting down Leach, and were robbed on a late call that would have given them a win over Auburn. Again, still way too early to know but he's off to a good start there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don’t know anything about Pittman. What’s his background?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I don’t know anything about Pittman. What’s his background?
    He was the o-line coach at georgia before this, not sure about before that. He's 58, so he does kinda have the Fangio "what took you so long to get a head coach job?" kinda feel to him, but to immediately make Arkansas so competitive is just insanely impressive. They've quite possibly been the worst power 5 program of the last couple of years.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

He was the o-line coach at georgia before this, not sure about before that. He's 58, so he does kinda have the Fangio "what took you so long to get a head coach job?" kinda feel to him, but to immediately make Arkansas so competitive is just insanely impressive. They've quite possibly been the worst power 5 program of the last couple of years.
    Kansas says “hi,” but point taken. I think his age would keep most NFL teams away.

Before that he’s a completely college lifer, it looks like.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

What about Herm!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

18. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Back to pro assistants, what are your thoughts on Leftwich Mo? He's risen pretty quickly from a QB coach to OC, seems pretty respected/well liked by his players, is a known name from his playing days, and will likely get interviews thanks to the Rooney rule. I could see him getting a job in the next few years.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Back to pro assistants, what are your thoughts on Leftwich Mo? He's risen pretty quickly from a QB coach to OC, seems pretty respected/well liked by his players, is a known name from his playing days, and will likely get interviews thanks to the Rooney rule. I could see him getting a job in the next few years.
    Don’t know how much of their success is Arians and how much is Leftwich, but he’s at least intriguing.

21. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information