Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Diet, Exercise, Supplements thread

Did a hike up Trail Ridge Rd area, woooo, kicked my ass with that thin air up there! Was about a 45-60 degree angle. Did it though. Using that to build up to doing the manitou incline. Hoping to do that at the end of Septemberish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b3329c42deb0fda2ec33424ad766652c.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	21438

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Wowza, that looks steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Wowza, that looks steep.
    Oh yea, it's intimidating!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230720_151827.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	21439

Trail Ridge!

Stupid sideways crap!

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Two workouts into my third week of working with a trainer. Came REALLY close to cancelling Monday morning. even though I still would have paid (need to cancel 24 hours in advance). Glad I didn't. Sad to see how much I struggle with some exercises that are low weight, or bodyweight, but I guess that comes with not regularly working out for decades and having an office job.

He has be doing circuit type training. After warmup, one resistance exercise standing (dumbbell deadlift or squat, kettle bell, etc.), and then down on the mat for something like crunches, leg lifts, commandos, pushups (modified, because I'm still a big bowl of jello), etc. Then up for another resistance exercise standing, then down to the mat for a bodyweight/core exercise.

20 reps of each exercise, and we've now moved up to three sets.

Kicking my ass as I do it, but feel good that I'm sticking with it and I know the results will show in the long run.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Two workouts into my third week of working with a trainer. Came REALLY close to cancelling Monday morning. even though I still would have paid (need to cancel 24 hours in advance). Glad I didn't. Sad to see how much I struggle with some exercises that are low weight, or bodyweight, but I guess that comes with not regularly working out for decades and having an office job.

He has be doing circuit type training. After warmup, one resistance exercise standing (dumbbell deadlift or squat, kettle bell, etc.), and then down on the mat for something like crunches, leg lifts, commandos, pushups (modified, because I'm still a big bowl of jello), etc. Then up for another resistance exercise standing, then down to the mat for a bodyweight/core exercise.

20 reps of each exercise, and we've now moved up to three sets.

Kicking my ass as I do it, but feel good that I'm sticking with it and I know the results will show in the long run.
    You'll wake up one day and see some definition that wasn't there before and go whoa! It's working!

I love those days when you just happen to see something that wasn't there before. They are the best!!

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    You'll wake up one day and see some definition that wasn't there before and go whoa! It's working!

I love those days when you just happen to see something that wasn't there before. They are the best!!
    He has me doing some fairly simple, but not easy for me, circuits. Three circuits, with each one having 7-8 exercises of 20 reps. This morning after warmup stretching/calisthenics was crunches, dumbbell deadlifts, leg raises, dumbbell squats, lat pull down, seated bench press (machine) and finally overhead shoulder press with dumbbells. Those vary a bit, especially what I'm doing on the floor, on Friday it was commandos I think instead of the leg raises.

During the 45 minutes, my average heart rate has been 140-145 and I'm briefly hitting 175-185 at two to three points in the workout, according to my watch.

As long as I keep it up (and while paying monthly, I committed to three months to get better pricing and schedule out a few months to get times I want), I'm sure I will start seeing gains sooner than later.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

He has me doing some fairly simple, but not easy for me, circuits. Three circuits, with each one having 7-8 exercises of 20 reps. This morning after warmup stretching/calisthenics was crunches, dumbbell deadlifts, leg raises, dumbbell squats, lat pull down, seated bench press (machine) and finally overhead shoulder press with dumbbells. Those vary a bit, especially what I'm doing on the floor, on Friday it was commandos I think instead of the leg raises.

During the 45 minutes, my average heart rate has been 140-145 and I'm briefly hitting 175-185 at two to three points in the workout, according to my watch.

As long as I keep it up (and while paying monthly, I committed to three months to get better pricing and schedule out a few months to get times I want), I'm sure I will start seeing gains sooner than later.
    As long as you have the diet part right you’ll crush it with the exercise. Diet will make you lose weight, proper diet and exercise will get you losing weight, adding muscle, and burning the shit out of your body fat.

The key is you can’t outrun or outwork a bad diet.

15. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    As long as you have the diet part right you’ll crush it with the exercise. Diet will make you lose weight, proper diet and exercise will get you losing weight, adding muscle, and burning the shit out of your body fat.

The key is you can’t outrun or outwork a bad diet.
    Yea, knowing that diet is the biggest component of weight gain/loss, over the last 2.5 years, I've just focused on what I was eating. Intermittent fasting as a way to reduce calories, and trying to eat as much whole foods as possible, and as little calorie dense food as possible. However, I always knew I was going to at some point get serious with exercise, as my approach wasn't building muscle and probably not even preserving it.

The guy I'm working with is pushing the diet part hard, asking me at the start of each session, what I ate the day before, etc., but then during our sessions, his goal is to build muscle, since more muscle equals higher metabolic rate/more fat burn. Also, he's getting me to look at macros, which I hadn't done before. I was always looking at total calories for the day, and not as much the mix. I'm struggling to get all the protein he wants me to have, to support the muscle break down/rebuild process. Instead of eating 4-6 ounces of meat, I need to eat a lot more to hit the protein targets he's set (and or get it from other sources).

I'm halfway through week four with him (did a session this morning), so hopefully am approaching the point where it's a habit.

I'm about to go on a two week RV trip, and plan to bring a mat, some dumbbells and maybe a kettlebell, to keep up the resistance work while on the road. Don't want to go two weeks without exercising/resistance work, as I'm afraid it will be hard to get back in the habit when back if I don't do anything for two weeks. I'm also going to do three sessions with him over that time, on days where we won't be getting ready in the morning to drive to a new destination.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information