Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet, Exercise, Supplements thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
    I've been running the treadmill 30-40 minutes daily and also started taking ripped fuel on advice from a buddy of mine who is into all things healthy. I did some research and was happy to learn that all those things are ephedrin free.

It's only been a week but I'm hoping to lose around 40-50 lbs which would be a major success story and not very typical but I'm not giving up. Also, I've cut soda and fried foods out of my diet (mostly) and limit my meal portions. I try to eat 5 small meals throughout the day to keep my metabolism working and not storing fat. That's a little harder to do when I'm working but so far it's worked ok. I actually feel better in just a week since starting this. Oh, and I've also been taking vit (multi, C, garlic, and Super Omega-3).

I think the biggest thing anyone can do to change their diet is cut out soda and
    sugar and if your like me and love food, try not to eat so much in one sitting. I'm 235 right now and shooting for 200 at the very least but my target is 190.
    I wish you the very best Reid! Nothing better than enjoying how your image looks in the mirror and how you feel so much better. Best wishes.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Lets talk about nutrition and how easy and broad it can be. So many times we all want to make it harder then it really is. We all get bombarded with new workouts and diets from websites, magazines and TV. Its easy in this tiem to become overwhelmed by them to the point that we think its not even worth the work to give ANYTHING a try. So lets just start at the beginning of health and fitness. Here are the basics, you cannot go wrong with. Stop worrying, start eating right and exercising!!

Training

I see too many people asking whether "this split will work, what workout should I do, bla bla bla". Listen:

Here's how you create your own split(examples in parenthesis):

Pick a body part(let's say chest).
    Now pick few compound, freeweight movements(bench press, dips)
    You can also pick few "supplementary" lifts(cable crossovers, machine chest press)
    Now pick a set & rep scheme that feels the best for you(4 sets of 12 reps)

Do this for every body part you want to train(Chest, triceps, biceps, delts, back, legs...).

Now you can combine bodyparts together if you want to(chest and triceps)

All that's left to do is assign a day to each workout(Chest and tricep on Monday)<--- I have found this to be the "Universal" day to train Chest. Atleast for men. Women it could be lower body.

And, of course, the most important thing: Progressive overload

Without it, your workout will be worthless. With it, any workout will work.

Diet

Here are the often overlooked basics of a diet:

Do you remember the 8 glasses of water a day thing? Well you need more then 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight, or gain muscle. Water can speed up your metabolism and don't forget that Muscle is over 75% water. You need to keep yourself hydrated and H2O is the best. I carry around a gallon jug of water wherever I go. To some it looks excessive, but to me i know I need it. If I don't get in my daily water intake I can feel sluggish adn get headaches. SO start with proper hydration. If you are working out you will need more then 8 glasses.

Eat natural foods - foods that have been processed the least. Ask yourself "does this food looks like something I could find in the nature?".
    If you buy something in a box, jar, can, look at the ingredients list and pick stuff with the LEAST ingredients.
    Get your healthy fats in. <--- don't be afraid of this.

Cutting or losing weight.

In addition to the above rules, losing weight or body fat, you need:

Caloric deficit
    Reduced amount of carbs
    Increased amount of fat and protein <--- seriously...don't be afraid!!

Gaining weight/muscle...

Caloric surplus
    Increased carbs <---- just like above, don't be afraid.

If you dont see it here you can't eat it

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Ostrich
    Protein Powder ( Whey or egg white)
    Egg Whites or Eggs
    Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
    Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
    Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
    Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
    Sweet Potatoes
    Yams
    Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
    Oat Bran Cereal
    Rye Cereal
    Brown Rice / mulit gain rice
    Farina (Cream of Wheat)
    Multigrain Hot Cereal
    Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
    Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
    Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS (not canned)

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Green or Red Pepper
    Green beans
    Onions
    Pumpkin
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini

FRUIT

(if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

HEALTHY FATS
    Natural Style Peanut Butter
    Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds
    Flaxseed Oil
    Fish oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
    Eggs
    Low or Non-Fat Milk
    Bottled Water

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
    Crystal Light
    Fat Free Mayonnaise
    Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Salsa
    Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
    Chili powder
    Mrs. Dash
    Steak Sauce
    Sugar Free Maple Syrup
    Chili Paste
    Mustard
    Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
    Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
    Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

Doesn't look so complicated, does it? If you follow these simple rules, ANY DIET OR TRAINING PROGRAM WILL WORK, 100% GUARANTEED.

Its not easy, but IT IS SIMPLE. Overcomplicating it is a recent trend, because of all the fitness gurus who want to sell something, and of course, basics(hard work, and patience) don't sell, so they need to make some sensational claims and invent some ridiculous new workouts and diets.

Remember, ROME wasn't built overnight. If you want a strong looking ripped body it takes time. If you want to lose weight and have a cut, fit body it takes time. But it all starts with the most fundamental area of them all....nutrition!
    Great post Watch! I have the added benefit of working with a weight lifter and I see him all the time eating the stuff you described here. (How could I get the smell of his tuna and wild rice out of my head...lol).

I approached him when I decided to get serious about losing weight and he gave me a few pointers also, a lot of which has been described in this thread already.

HW - Thankyou. I hope I become a success story and inspire someone else. I'll keep my peeps updated...

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Reid my man....whatever help you need fire away.

If you want to lose 40-50 pounds the "healthy" way just know its not going to be overnight.

It takes a lot of time, dedication, and hard work to do it the right way and if you do it will STAY OFF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
    I've been running the treadmill 30-40 minutes daily and also started taking ripped fuel on advice from a buddy of mine who is into all things healthy. I did some research and was happy to learn that all those things are ephedrin free.

It's only been a week but I'm hoping to lose around 40-50 lbs which would be a major success story and not very typical but I'm not giving up. Also, I've cut soda and fried foods out of my diet (mostly) and limit my meal portions. I try to eat 5 small meals throughout the day to keep my metabolism working and not storing fat. That's a little harder to do when I'm working but so far it's worked ok. I actually feel better in just a week since starting this. Oh, and I've also been taking vit (multi, C, garlic, and Super Omega-3).

I think the biggest thing anyone can do to change their diet is cut out soda and
    sugar and if your like me and love food, try not to eat so much in one sitting. I'm 235 right now and shooting for 200 at the very least but my target is 190.
    I haven't read everything thing in this thread- but if you are trying to lose weight I wanted to add the best time to do your cardio is first thing in the am before you eat anything. I do about 20-25 minutes of something (I vary it day to day, stair climber, tae bo etc) every morning. You will lose fat quickest this way... this is how I lost all my fat a total of three times- once just getting in shape and then twice after pregnancies.
    Oh and another nice thing is once you lose the weight and put on some muscle (I lift too- just light) you can ease up on the diet a bit and relax the training sometimes too. I don't kill myself anymore like I did when I was trying to lose- now I just take it easy and do my daily stuff. My metabolism stays high cause I vary what I do and what I eat.

Also it is a proven fact that it takes a person about 21 days- 3 weeks to have something become habit... so if you can last 3 weeks you know you have made a huge first step because you are on your way to having this change become a habit- which makes it easier to stick with.

Before I started working out- which was maybe 9 years ago (yikes) I was in terrible shape- I wasn't fat or anything just not in shape... I could barely do 10 minutes on a stair climber without feeling like I was going to die... and forget running! Now it is just part of my life... so much so that I can only take one day off every so often or I feel bad (lifting I take more time off but aerobics you can really do everyday as long as your not going nuts).

Anyway- I just wanted to say good luck and you have the extra advantage of support here... which is really a great bonus.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Thought i would bump this for this time of season.

Share some weight managing tips of your own

Many Americans gain weight this time of season. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the average American will gain 1-3 pounds this Holiday season. Whether you work the traditional mon-fri 8-5 shift, rotating shifts, or are a college student, many of us have a hard time squeezing a solid meal in.

My tip #1: I work a swing shift ( 4pm to 2 am) and bring my food with me to work every night--eat through the shift like it was a day shift. Prepare some meals the night before. Take a cooler with you if you can.

We all run into the Christmas parties, work parties, Family get togethers..and just the large meals that are consumed on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My tip #2: One thing people have a tendency to do is starve themselves throughout the day knowing that night they are going to a party. Don't do it!! You think that if you don't eat you will be more hungry at the party or if you don't eat throughout the day you can eat more calories at the party and not feel guilty. Well thats not a good thing. If anything, eating normally throughout the day will actually spark your metabolism and you will be MORE hungry at the party then if you starved yourself. In any case, never starve yourself throughout the day because you might have a LARGE meal coming up later that day. Your telling your body to hang on to all of the food it consumes at the party and your body will ration it out as needed, but want to keep all of it in fear it will be starved again tomorrow.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Has anyone tried the '5 Hour' energy drink? Winter here can get dreary and depressing sometimes so I'm looking for an alternative other than coffee, soda, or the "red bull" drinks to keep me motivated and going. I'm in fairly decent shape could lose about 10 lbs but no more than that. I just don't want to look like my father, you know the big pot belly so I do plenty of sit-ups.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad B View Post
    Has anyone tried the '5 Hour' energy drink? Winter here can get dreary and depressing sometimes so I'm looking for an alternative other than coffee, soda, or the "red bull" drinks to keep me motivated and going. I'm in fairly decent shape could lose about 10 lbs but no more than that. I just don't want to look like my father, you know the big pot belly so I do plenty of sit-ups.
    I have tried it and it really does work. Like I said earlier, I work nights and there was a day when I drank one of those at the beginning of my shift and it really kept me alert. Its mega mega doses of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. All of which are mostly water soluble so whatever your body doesn't use, it just flushes away.

No sugar, no carbs, and the amount of caffeine you would find in one cup of coffee. Not too bad for you.

One thing its not going to do it give you a BIG jolt of energy. Its real steady over the 5 hour period. If you are looking for something to help you workout, I wouldn't necessarily recommend 5 hour energy. There are other alternatives out there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Matt Prater | Place Kicker

I have trouble swallowing pills and it is hard to find small vitamin pills. I bought a case of vitamin water and I drink two a day. They each have their own flavor and like the one I am drinking right now has dragonfruit it is called power-C. They aren't "write home to mama good" or anything but they aren't bad!

I lost 30lbs+ within the last year and it is nice to lose it... but you do have problems if you don't supplement your diet with something to help boost your system. You can't eat only healthy foods and you simply can't get all of the necessary vitamins you need to make you healthy.

MY advice (or 2 cents anyway) for the holidays: People get toooo caught up with the "omg I am going to eat and gain weight." It takes more than ONE piece of pie or ONE Christmas dinner. Enjoy it! Don't say "oh no thanks, I am watching my weight" passing up that great looking dish of dressing or mashed pot. Just have a little bit, enjoy it and once it is over... get back to reality. Thank goodness we don't have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners every month!, but like I said, at least it works for me... enjoy a small piece and get up and expend some energy. You can burn off any extra you eat by taking a good brisk walk. (expecially if it is a little chilly out!)

My back doesn't allow me to work out anymore. I used to do it like a machine every day except Sundays. I would do the "Firm" ( a cardio workout with weights) workouts at my house, and it was my time for ME. I have had back surgery and will need it again, so I can no longer do the step, or any sort of jogging but I can walk, and I use the excercise ball working my abs and lower muscles. I do use weights for my arms and chest, but can't get too heavy as I usually have to sit to do it.
    Any ideas how to increase my cardio with out hurting my back. Even walking has to be a slower pace for me. I have tried sitting on the ball and using my legs to bounce and it does get my heart rate up a bit, but I can't do it long for fear of my back.

I love this THREAD!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Hamza Abdullah

P90X

Try it. It is great.

I just started.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I have tried it and it really does work. Like I said earlier, I work nights and there was a day when I drank one of those at the beginning of my shift and it really kept me alert. Its mega mega doses of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. All of which are mostly water soluble so whatever your body doesn't use, it just flushes away.

No sugar, no carbs, and the amount of caffeine you would find in one cup of coffee. Not too bad for you.

One thing its not going to do it give you a BIG jolt of energy. Its real steady over the 5 hour period. If you are looking for something to help you workout, I wouldn't necessarily recommend 5 hour energy. There are other alternatives out there.
    No I can get motivated to PT but like I said living in this frozen tundra sometimes it takes a toll on remaining motivated and the '5 hour' energy drink sounds like what I need because coffee and soda make me crash and I have never tried the red bull drinks. About 10 years ago I use to run 5 miles a day but now I have a set of dumbbells, an elliptical (wish I would gotten a treadmill, damn salesman and my gullibleness), and I do simple push-ups and stomach exercises. I use to have a Power Tower wish I would never had given it away when we moved here because I used to love doing pull ups and dips. Oh well, thanks for the tip!

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by schnooks1 View Post
    I have trouble swallowing pills and it is hard to find small vitamin pills. I bought a case of vitamin water and I drink two a day. They each have their own flavor and like the one I am drinking right now has dragonfruit it is called power-C. They aren't "write home to mama good" or anything but they aren't bad!

I lost 30lbs+ within the last year and it is nice to lose it... but you do have problems if you don't supplement your diet with something to help boost your system. You can't eat only healthy foods and you simply can't get all of the necessary vitamins you need to make you healthy.

MY advice (or 2 cents anyway) for the holidays: People get toooo caught up with the "omg I am going to eat and gain weight." It takes more than ONE piece of pie or ONE Christmas dinner. Enjoy it! Don't say "oh no thanks, I am watching my weight" passing up that great looking dish of dressing or mashed pot. Just have a little bit, enjoy it and once it is over... get back to reality. Thank goodness we don't have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners every month!, but like I said, at least it works for me... enjoy a small piece and get up and expend some energy. You can burn off any extra you eat by taking a good brisk walk. (expecially if it is a little chilly out!)

My back doesn't allow me to work out anymore. I used to do it like a machine every day except Sundays. I would do the "Firm" ( a cardio workout with weights) workouts at my house, and it was my time for ME. I have had back surgery and will need it again, so I can no longer do the step, or any sort of jogging but I can walk, and I use the excercise ball working my abs and lower muscles. I do use weights for my arms and chest, but can't get too heavy as I usually have to sit to do it.
    Any ideas how to increase my cardio with out hurting my back. Even walking has to be a slower pace for me. I have tried sitting on the ball and using my legs to bounce and it does get my heart rate up a bit, but I can't do it long for fear of my back.

I love this THREAD!!!!
    Your absolutely correct!! I love your statement about one piece of cake or pie is not going to hurt you. I have heard the statement "Rome wasn't built in a day" about losing weight and or building muscle or whatever your goals are. That keeps it in perspective. The same way you are not going to transform your body into a rock hard fit specimen over night, you are not goint to turn into some fat blob over night either after a slice of cake or pie.

This is the time of season to enjoy and have some good food. Just don't endulge too much..

Schnooks, a few things you might be able to try with your back pain could be Pilates or Yoga. Yoga might actually be very good for you. And with cardio have you ever tried the Eliptical machine? Walking is very good so if thats all you can do for cardio that is good enough. If the pace can't be too brisk, maybe a 1 or 2% incline to up the heart rate. Last, what about a stationary bike, whether it be upright or recumbant depending on how long you can sit might work as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Matt Prater | Place Kicker

Your absolutely correct!! I love your statement about one piece of cake or pie is not going to hurt you. I have heard the statement "Rome wasn't built in a day" about losing weight and or building muscle or whatever your goals are. That keeps it in perspective. The same way you are not going to transform your body into a rock hard fit specimen over night, you are not goint to turn into some fat blob over night either after a slice of cake or pie.

This is the time of season to enjoy and have some good food. Just don't endulge too much..

Schnooks, a few things you might be able to try with your back pain could be Pilates or Yoga. Yoga might actually be very good for you. And with cardio have you ever tried the Eliptical machine? Walking is very good so if thats all you can do for cardio that is good enough. If the pace can't be too brisk, maybe a 1 or 2% incline to up the heart rate. Last, what about a stationary bike, whether it be upright or recumbant depending on how long you can sit might work as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Have't tried the bike at all because I have only used those for warm up in the gym and never considered them as a "work-out" tool. Maybe I will put one on my Santa list and give it a try!

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Thanks for the suggestions. Have't tried the bike at all because I have only used those for warm up in the gym and never considered them as a "work-out" tool. Maybe I will put one on my Santa list and give it a try!
    Not sure where you live, but if you have a Play it again sports you can find a used one for pretty cheap. Or try craigslist.com (online worldwide garage sell with no bidding ) for the ones people have bought and used once and are now selling them . Walmart even sells decent ones for $100. You can get a really good cardio workout on a bike and it usually allows you to watch tv or read a book at the same time because you aren't jumping up and down like on a treadmill or eliptical. Time flies and before you know it its been 30-45 minutes.

Good luck!!

Look at goodwill or pawn shops to keep the costs down unless you will really follow the program for sure. Better to get into it and see if it works for you. If it does then make a major purchase and get a top notch model..

My brother works out and has for years.He started yoga about a year ago.I thought it was weird when he told me but he has a high stress job and says it has done ALOT for the stress and just makes him feel good physically.

I like to walk and did alot when I had my dog(she got old and we had to put her to sleep) but she really motivated me to take her walking.I did a little bit of walking earlier in the year.

How do I keep myself motivated? That is my biggest problem.I have lost some weight and have my blood pressure good now.Went to the doctor for a
    check up yesterday and it was 118 over 78 which is good for me cause when I was working at my other job it was always 160 over 95.Amazing what stress will do to you.

Anyway how does one motivate themselves.I would really like to get myself in better shape as I have lost 14 lbs in the last 6 weeks and want to lose more and keep it off...HELP!!!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information