Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet, Exercise, Supplements thread

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by -HW- View Post
    I'm not worried WTM....2 paks on their way to my mailbox! Thank you.

Did you see the price from Fitness One? Better?
    Yeah, thats where I get mine from. I think they have the best prices out there. I never go to - Rob you blind - GNC.

I think you will be pleased with the product. I definatly feel better because of it and am not even working out at the moment ( bicep injury )

I ran out ONCE and that was all it took until I placed another order...

BUT please remember, you must take it with food adn you must EAT!!! The directions will say to take it 30 minutes after your meal before you workout, but I would just take it first thing in the morning with breakfast. The time release will work for you throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Yeah, thats where I get mine from. I think they have the best prices out there. I never go to - Rob you blind - GNC.

I think you will be pleased with the product. I definatly feel better because of it and am not even working out at the moment ( bicep injury )

I ran out ONCE and that was all it took until I placed another order...

BUT please remember, you must take it with food adn you must EAT!!! The directions will say to take it 30 minutes after your meal before you workout, but I would just take it first thing in the morning with breakfast. The time release will work for you throughout the day.
    I WILL start eating, like you suggested (and what). I know you have a long history of experience with this WTM, so all is good! I have lost nearly 20 pounds over about 6 months time now, so I'm on a roll right now, losing it slowly, eating better overall, but I will start taking my breakfast more seriously. I've noticed my habits have started to rub off onto my daughter a bit as well----skipping breakfast, so it's time I turn that around and her and I eat something together in the morning.

Question: How did you hurt your bicep?

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

I WILL start eating, like you suggested (and what). I know you have a long history of experience with this WTM, so all is good! I have lost nearly 20 pounds over about 6 months time now, so I'm on a roll right now, losing it slowly, eating better overall, but I will start taking my breakfast more seriously. I've noticed my habits have started to rub off onto my daughter a bit as well----skipping breakfast, so it's time I turn that around and her and I eat something together in the morning.

Question: How did you hurt your bicep?
    COngrats on your accomplishment!!

And to answer your question...I was playing golf. Hyperextended it on a swing where I hit the ground instead of the ball......and it just hasn't been the same since.

I kept working out through it but every morning I would wake up and it would throb, so I am taking some much needed time off and rest.

i just had a banana!!

________
    HunkCock
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:09 PM.

COngrats on your accomplishment!!

And to answer your question...I was playing golf. Hyperextended it on a swing where I hit the ground instead of the ball......and it just hasn't been the same since.

I kept working out through it but every morning I would wake up and it would throb, so I am taking some much needed time off and rest.
    I understand the hyperextension of a knee, as I've had that occur a few times to my own, but at a joint....it makes more sense to me. Does it effect your elbow or shoulder as well, pain-wise? Your hand? I'm still a bit of a novice golfing myself, and hitting the ground goes with that territory - I'll have to keep that in mind.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

I understand the hyperextension of a knee, as I've had that occur a few times to my own, but at a joint....it makes more sense to me. Does it effect your elbow or shoulder as well, pain-wise? Your hand? I'm still a bit of a novice golfing myself, and hitting the ground goes with that territory - I'll have to keep that in mind.
    It did happen at my elbow, but I have a lot of pain in my bicep and forearm because of it, but not at my actual elbow.. Sometimes it does radiate to my shoulder if I have slept wrong or something. Annoying is all it is and a lot of the pain has gone away since I have taken a break.

Well I have been taking a dietary supplement called BioAstin or something. Its made on the Big Island of Hawaii and it was on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. It contains a very powerful antioxidant, way more powerful than prunes, called Astaxanthan, and is attained from algae.

There is Vitamin A and E along with astaxanthan in the gel capsules. I personally think it has been working, especially the Vitamin A (beta-carotene). I wear glasses and I have blurry vision without them, but I noticed that since taking it (which actually has a LOT of beta-carotene), my vision has improved. Still blurry, but not as blurry.

Just my two cents.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

I just need to get my fat ass back to working out - i can basically eat what I want if im actvie and not over indulging in anything - but i havent been exercising at all and drinking way too many margs (500 calories a pop) well needless to say nothing from last summer fits

I want exercise equipment for my house, ive always found that the best way for me to stay on track - i tried the gym thing a few times and the only time it worked is when I worked right across the street and could walk over at lunch and take a really awesome cardio/weight class

I want to have my abs back - i want to be back in shape (but I dont want to give up the margs )
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by NickTranOwnz View Post
    Well I have been taking a dietary supplement called BioAstin or something. Its made on the Big Island of Hawaii and it was on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. It contains a very powerful antioxidant, way more powerful than prunes, called Astaxanthan, and is attained from algae.

There is Vitamin A and E along with astaxanthan in the gel capsules. I personally think it has been working, especially the Vitamin A (beta-carotene). I wear glasses and I have blurry vision without them, but I noticed that since taking it (which actually has a LOT of beta-carotene), my vision has improved. Still blurry, but not as blurry.

Just my two cents.
    Thats very interesting. I have never heard of that supp before, but if its working for you in a positive way and improving your vision then thats a good thing.

The thing about a lot of supplements is that people take them and don't even need them. They see some informercial, or magazine add and think they need it.

Before taking a supplement that you think you need whether it be for working out, staying in shape, losing fat, or in NickTran's case...take the time to see a nutritionist and ask them if there is any benifit to using it. Notice I didn't say DOCTOR??

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    I just need to get my fat ass back to working out - i can basically eat what I want if im actvie and not over indulging in anything - but i havent been exercising at all and drinking way too many margs (500 calories a pop) well needless to say nothing from last summer fits

I want exercise equipment for my house, ive always found that the best way for me to stay on track - i tried the gym thing a few times and the only time it worked is when I worked right across the street and could walk over at lunch and take a really awesome cardio/weight class

I want to have my abs back - i want to be back in shape (but I dont want to give up the margs )
    That is the case for so many people 420. We can all eat whatever we want in moderation if we just stay active.

Living an active lifestyle is very simple to do. Many believe you need to spend hours upon hours at a gym in order to lead an active lifestyle. That is not the case. You need to get moving. Walking, jogging, running, hiking, lifting weights, biking...etc.

You can do this in many different ways. The most basic is to hit the road, or stationary bike, treadmill, or gym to start off your day if you are a morning person. Some have the time and like to go at lunch. Some go after work. The main thing is to just get moving.

If you can't do any of those, park your car at the farthest spot in the parking lot wherever you go...work, school, shopping market, etc.

Take the stairs. If your office is on the 4th floor, skip the elevator ride and climb the stairs.

420, back to your home gym thing. Home gyms are great if you can provide for yourself everything you need. If all you want is to tone up and do cardio then some adjustable dumbells and recumbant or stationary bike from Walmart is for you.

You can also go to places like Play it Again Sports ( re-sell sporting goods ) and find nice workout equipmen.

But above all, the first step in getting back your "abs" is nutrition.

You can do 1000 sit ups a day but if your diet is not in check then it will be all for not. Even if you can't work out regularly, you still need a solid diet.

As for the MARGS, moderation is the key. NOt sure how many you have a day, but cut it down to 2-3 times a week. Eventually, cut it down to one day a week, ONE MARG a week as a reward. It will taste sooooo much better and you will feel sooooo much better because of it.

Thats very interesting. I have never heard of that supp before, but if its working for you in a positive way and improving your vision then thats a good thing.

The thing about a lot of supplements is that people take them and don't even need them. They see some informercial, or magazine add and think they need it.

Before taking a supplement that you think you need whether it be for working out, staying in shape, losing fat, or in NickTran's case...take the time to see a nutritionist and ask them if there is any benifit to using it. Notice I didn't say DOCTOR??
    Actually I got it for free from a wheel spinning thing they had at Macys. My uncle who is a pharmacist was with me and checked it out and said it was okay to take, so I started taking it. I also mainly took it for the antioxidants.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Default speaking of nutrition...

Lets talk about nutrition and how easy and broad it can be. So many times we all want to make it harder then it really is. We all get bombarded with new workouts and diets from websites, magazines and TV. Its easy in this tiem to become overwhelmed by them to the point that we think its not even worth the work to give ANYTHING a try. So lets just start at the beginning of health and fitness. Here are the basics, you cannot go wrong with. Stop worrying, start eating right and exercising!!

Training

I see too many people asking whether "this split will work, what workout should I do, bla bla bla". Listen:

Here's how you create your own split(examples in parenthesis):

Pick a body part(let's say chest).
    Now pick few compound, freeweight movements(bench press, dips)
    You can also pick few "supplementary" lifts(cable crossovers, machine chest press)
    Now pick a set & rep scheme that feels the best for you(4 sets of 12 reps)

Do this for every body part you want to train(Chest, triceps, biceps, delts, back, legs...).

Now you can combine bodyparts together if you want to(chest and triceps)

All that's left to do is assign a day to each workout(Chest and tricep on Monday)<--- I have found this to be the "Universal" day to train Chest. Atleast for men. Women it could be lower body.

And, of course, the most important thing: Progressive overload

Without it, your workout will be worthless. With it, any workout will work.

Diet

Here are the often overlooked basics of a diet:

Do you remember the 8 glasses of water a day thing? Well you need more then 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight, or gain muscle. Water can speed up your metabolism and don't forget that Muscle is over 75% water. You need to keep yourself hydrated and H2O is the best. I carry around a gallon jug of water wherever I go. To some it looks excessive, but to me i know I need it. If I don't get in my daily water intake I can feel sluggish adn get headaches. SO start with proper hydration. If you are working out you will need more then 8 glasses.

Eat natural foods - foods that have been processed the least. Ask yourself "does this food looks like something I could find in the nature?".
    If you buy something in a box, jar, can, look at the ingredients list and pick stuff with the LEAST ingredients.
    Get your healthy fats in. <--- don't be afraid of this.

Cutting or losing weight.

In addition to the above rules, losing weight or body fat, you need:

Caloric deficit
    Reduced amount of carbs
    Increased amount of fat and protein <--- seriously...don't be afraid!!

Gaining weight/muscle...

Caloric surplus
    Increased carbs <---- just like above, don't be afraid.

If you dont see it here you can't eat it

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Ostrich
    Protein Powder ( Whey or egg white)
    Egg Whites or Eggs
    Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
    Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
    Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
    Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
    Sweet Potatoes
    Yams
    Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
    Oat Bran Cereal
    Rye Cereal
    Brown Rice / mulit gain rice
    Farina (Cream of Wheat)
    Multigrain Hot Cereal
    Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
    Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
    Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS (not canned)

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Green or Red Pepper
    Green beans
    Onions
    Pumpkin
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini

FRUIT

(if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

HEALTHY FATS
    Natural Style Peanut Butter
    Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds
    Flaxseed Oil
    Fish oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
    Eggs
    Low or Non-Fat Milk
    Bottled Water

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
    Crystal Light
    Fat Free Mayonnaise
    Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Salsa
    Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
    Chili powder
    Mrs. Dash
    Steak Sauce
    Sugar Free Maple Syrup
    Chili Paste
    Mustard
    Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
    Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
    Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

Doesn't look so complicated, does it? If you follow these simple rules, ANY DIET OR TRAINING PROGRAM WILL WORK, 100% GUARANTEED.

Its not easy, but IT IS SIMPLE. Overcomplicating it is a recent trend, because of all the fitness gurus who want to sell something, and of course, basics(hard work, and patience) don't sell, so they need to make some sensational claims and invent some ridiculous new workouts and diets.

Remember, ROME wasn't built overnight. If you want a strong looking ripped body it takes time. If you want to lose weight and have a cut, fit body it takes time. But it all starts with the most fundamental area of them all....nutrition!
    Last edited by Watchthemiddle; 09-04-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Where's the Ketchup?

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Where's the Ketchup?
    High fructose corn syrup babe!!

Bad stuff but I love it sooooo much!!!

What do you put it on? I can give you some alternatives..hopefully...

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

I've been running the treadmill 30-40 minutes daily and also started taking ripped fuel on advice from a buddy of mine who is into all things healthy. I did some research and was happy to learn that all those things are ephedrin free.

It's only been a week but I'm hoping to lose around 40-50 lbs which would be a major success story and not very typical but I'm not giving up. Also, I've cut soda and fried foods out of my diet (mostly) and limit my meal portions. I try to eat 5 small meals throughout the day to keep my metabolism working and not storing fat. That's a little harder to do when I'm working but so far it's worked ok. I actually feel better in just a week since starting this. Oh, and I've also been taking vit (multi, C, garlic, and Super Omega-3).

I think the biggest thing anyone can do to change their diet is cut out soda and
    sugar and if your like me and love food, try not to eat so much in one sitting. I'm 235 right now and shooting for 200 at the very least but my target is 190.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information