Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet, Exercise, Supplements thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
    Bump.....

So earlier in this thread I posted I was running the treadmill daily to shed some pounds. That lasted for maybe a month and then the fatigue of high impact running set in and I basically stopped.

Recently I have hopped back aboard the health train and I have a goal in mind to initially lose 36 pounds. I am currently 236 so I'm shooting for 200. I've enlisted the help of weight watchers which I used to discredit but I'll try anything once so we'll see if it helps. So far I've lost 2.5 pounds this past week so I'm not sure if that's do to portion control and eating right from the program or exercising the half hour daily on the elliptical.

I plan on weight training soon but I'd like to get a little lighter before bulking up. Some of the supplements I've been taking are NO explode, animal pak, Whey protein and Ripped fuel. Probably excessive for my light workout but they can't hurt.

Anyway, I'll try to keep updated on my progress. I have bet with a friend at work, we are racing to 205 lbs. He needs to gain weight (muscle) to 205 and I need to lose. Should be competitive and fun!
    Actually lifting weights helps you more than cardio does. It speeds up your metabolism. Doing both is great though. You can start light weight lifting now, so that when you want to bulk up you will be ready to start adding weight. Be careful on the supplements though.

My workout schedule has worked pretty well so far. It looks like this:

Mon - Chest
    Tues - Back/Biceps
    Wed - Off
    Thurs - Shoulders/Triceps
    Fri - Legs

Abs every day.

I do a 30 minute low intensity cardio training every day except Sunday. I am working up to doing an additional 30 minute cardio training each day too. Just been a lazy procrastinator though.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Actually lifting weights helps you more than cardio does. It speeds up your metabolism. Doing both is great though. You can start light weight lifting now, so that when you want to bulk up you will be ready to start adding weight. Be careful on the supplements though.

My workout schedule has worked pretty well so far. It looks like this:

Mon - Chest
    Tues - Back/Biceps
    Wed - Off
    Thurs - Shoulders/Triceps
    Fri - Legs

Abs every day.

I do a 30 minute low intensity cardio training every day except Sunday. I am working up to doing an additional 30 minute cardio training each day too. Just been a lazy procrastinator though.
    Yeah LDB, you are one lazy SOB....

I've heard that too about weight lifting vs. cardio workouts but I think for me anyway I need to condition myself first. I have been a FB for too long and eaten crap for too long so this will be a lot of work. Lucky for me though I did concrete construction for 8 years so I do have a somewhat muscular frame beneath it all. My target weight is 167, but no way in hell I'm getting that light. I would look like a beanpole....

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

(Stolen from a post on another board that I frequent)....

Have been a little lax with my water intake the last few weeks. Did a little search on the board and found this gem, which will ensure I won't be slack again.

For those of you that have been a little lax with your water intake (like me of late) or don't drink enough

It's so simple, yet so often ignored. Water. The stuff of life. About 70% of the earth is covered in it, the same as the amount found in your body. Water is needed for every single metabolic process, including protein synthesis. So if your training intensity is high, one of the simplest things you can do for your body is to drink more water.

1. You Aren't Getting Enough
    Soda and coffees don't count. In fact, though they are liquid beverages, the caffeine in both can increase fluid loss through diuresis. When this happens, the body begins storing water (see #4). Conventional wisdom tells you 6-8 glasses of water is enough per day. Since you're training for an unconventional physique, you need more. Aim for at least a half gallon to a gallon per day, depending your level of conditioning.

2. Water Clears Out Toxins
    Water flushes out toxins and other metabolic waste products from the body. Water is especially important when following a "high protein" diet, as it helps remove excess nitrogen, urea (a toxic substance), and ketones. If you're eating big to gain weight, then you need even more water to help your kidneys do their work.

3. Water Helps Metabolize Fat
    Without enough water, the kidneys can't function properly. When this happens, some of the load is transferred to the liver. The liver metabolizes stored fat for energy. If the liver is doing some of the kidneys' work, it burns less fat. In addition, water can actually reduce feelings of hunger.

4. Water Reduces Fluid Retention
    Contrary to popular belief, drinking water can actually help you shed excess water weight. When water is in short supply, the body, thinking there's a shortage, begins hoarding it. This water is stored in extra cellular spaces. In other words, your skin starts looking soft and puffy.

5. Water Keeps You Regular
    Too little water, and your body steals it from organs such as the colon. When this happens, you experience constipation. Plus, water allows you to digest your meals efficiently. This is especially true when you're consuming over 4,000 calories a day.

6. Water Helps Individuals Who Get Too Much Salt
    If water retention is a chronic problem, it may be because there's too much salt in the diet. The higher the sodium intake, the more the body tries to retain water (to dilute its concentration). Either reduce salt intake or drink more water.

7. Water Helps Your Supplements Work Better
    Supplements like creatine work in part because it pulls water in muscle cells, thereby creating an anabolic environment needed for growth. For this to work properly, you need plenty of water. Plus, if you're training hard, then you need a basic mega-vitamin. Many vitamins are water soluble, and water unlocks the power of those vitamins.

5. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

My progress so far....

2/25 - weighed in at 232 lbs
    3/03 - 230 (-2)
    3/10 - 228.4 (-1.6)
    3/17 - 224.6 (-3.8)
    3/24 - 221.4 (-3.2)

Total loss in 28 days : 10.6 lbs

So far so good!

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Reidman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Want to lose weight? Want more energy throughout the day? Get sick more then you should??

Let me define cortisol: A nasty hormone released by our bodies when we stress ourselves that causes breakdown of muscle tissue, water retention, and weight gain in the abdominal regio... Hummm...something to think about if you are stagnating in your weight loss- Time to get some extra sleep!

Another thing to consider is that your immune function is broke down when you have high cortisol levels- you will feel tired all the time, get sick more often, and get into a cycle of feeling too tired to work out- This is because of alterations in blood sugar levels (the ups and downs that cause us to crash and burn), and metabolism of muscle tissue (yes, cortisol acutally breaks down your muscle that you are working so hard to gain!) Defeating to say the least!!!

When you lower your cortisol levels, the body’s immune system repairs itself, you begin to retain muscle mass, blood sugar levels are regulated so there are no "sharp ups and downs" that cause storage of fat because of impaired insulin use, and believe it or not, you’ll be able to think faster and more clearly- opposed to staying up for days at a time to "get things done."

So, here’s a little piece of advice that we all need to remind ourselves of sometimes... When you want to reach for something that is not a good protein and carb for a snack- remember...it’s the evil cortisol signaling your brain to want the foods that are a "quick fix" for unstable blood sugar levels- remember you’l crash and burn about 30 minutes after you grab that ice cream or burger at the drive through. Also, when you feel too tired to get in that workout, remind yourself that cortisol levels are lowered by "destressing..." Get in that workout that makes you drip with sweat and your muscles scream, "no more!" Then, shower, turn the lights off, pull the covers up around you, and close your eyes... Rejuvenate yourself with 7-8 hours of sleep and increase your productivity- in your fitness goals, in school, and in work....

9. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek "aaarrruuuuuu" Wolfe

I've been looking for a way to bottle my Metabolism for years.....I burn off what I'm eating AS I'M CHEWING IT!!! I tried force feeding myself just to gain some weight.....

PEACE!!!
    SAKUNA MATATA - Black Forest, CO

^Thanks MasterShake^

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
    My progress so far....

2/25 - weighed in at 232 lbs
    3/03 - 230 (-2)
    3/10 - 228.4 (-1.6)
    3/17 - 224.6 (-3.8)
    3/24 - 221.4 (-3.2)

Total loss in 28 days : 10.6 lbs

So far so good!
    Nice work....Sounds like you are on the right track.

I need to drop about 25 pounds (I always get sloppy during tax season). I just started hitting the treadmill again this week. I actually enjoy the workout.

Good luck to you.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Man I am going to be sick of chicken by the end of the summer. *sigh*
    The bronco chemist.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
    I've been looking for a way to bottle my Metabolism for years.....I burn off what I'm eating AS I'M CHEWING IT!!! I tried force feeding myself just to gain some weight.....

PEACE!!!

Embrace that high metabolism...

If you are looking for ways to put on some weight...

1. Drink Whole Milk...no 2%, fat free...etc.
    2. PB&J sandwiches. Economical and loaded with good calories.
    3. Red Meat red meat red meat
    4. If your budget allows it, pick up some protein poweder or weight gainer shake mix at an online supplement site. If you can't afford it, in a blender mix 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of whole oats ( raw ), bannana, and peanut butter. Calorie packed shake, very filling. If you can throw in a cup of protein powder in that shake even better.
    5. Try getting in 7-8 meals a day...about 2-2 1/2 hours apart. Eat until your full, and eat some more.
    6. Don't forget the weights. You don't want to crame down all this food daily and not be hitting some kind of barbell.
    7. Beans, whole wheat bread, tuna, whole wheat pasta, eggs...all very affordable that you can buy in bulk, cook in bulk, and eat in bulk.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSoldier View Post
    Man I am going to be sick of chicken by the end of the summer. *sigh*
    What kind of diet do they have you on Soldier? I am very interested if you don't mind sharing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    ...Get in that workout that makes you drip with sweat and your muscles scream, "no more!" Then, shower, turn the lights off, pull the covers up around you, and close your eyes... Rejuvenate yourself with 7-8 hours of sleep and increase your productivity- in your fitness goals, in school, and in work....
    This made me feel all warm and fuzzy...

I know what you mean though, nothing like the feel of the burn and sweatin
    your ass off... and sleep is usually no problem after that...

Since I've started working out I have more energy than I ever have...

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    What kind of diet do they have you on Soldier? I am very interested if you don't mind sharing.
    Right now I am on a high protein, low fat, and mid level of carbs. That is why chicken is ideal right now. I am also having a lot of spinach salads (lettuce isn't as nutritional) for my carbs. I am trying to get my weight up around 210 and I am at 199 right now. So I prefer to get more muscle than fat.
    The bronco chemist.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

For Clay, Red.....Reid....whoever....

Lets do this....

Everyone has a few pounds they want to lose....

We can accomplish our goals in numbers...

Clay you are not alone....

Well, I am 15. I lift weights on a daily basis. And, I need to increase my maxes. Is there anything I can do that helps? I seem to be sluggish after lunch as well, but I make sure I have good things for lunch. Maybe my food is to starchy?

Right now I am on whey protein, and I take a one-a-day active each morning and a Vitamin C pill. Would you be able to point me in the right direction, or do I need to give more information.

Thanks in advanced.

The Cutler Hippo:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by KozmicKlown View Post
    Well, I am 15. I lift weights on a daily basis. And, I need to increase my maxes. Is there anything I can do that helps? I seem to be sluggish after lunch as well, but I make sure I have good things for lunch. Maybe my food is to starchy?

Right now I am on whey protein, and I take a one-a-day active each morning and a Vitamin C pill. Would you be able to point me in the right direction, or do I need to give more information.

Thanks in advanced.
    Your first mistake is lifting weights on a daily basis. You only lift to break down muscle cells not build muscle. If you Lift every day you don't give the muscle cells enough time to recover and build. The most important part of weight lifting is the recovery period (off days) and feeding the muscles properly.

Could get into all the muscle and recovery terminology but thats what you do in simple terms.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information