Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1195

Thread: 2021 Draft Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I think the dilemma here is that if you draft a OT in 2 or 3...and James is NOT injured...then you have a high draft pick that won't contribute to a 5-11 team. If you get one later in the draft, then they aren't ready to step in immediately. It's a bit of a conundrum for a GM that is saddled with the unknown that comes with the James situation.
    Exactly - if anything Elway should be taking more heat for this disaster of a contract. Paton's hands were tied. Now he still could have gotten a 3rd day guy instead of 14 defensive backs, but I don't blame him at the top of the draft so much.

I think the easy answer and what they were already looking at doing prior to James going down is signing a FA RT.

My hunch is if they got one they liked in the draft then they would cool on the search. If not, they were going to go snag one. I think that was the plan to snag one anyway and then james went James again. Draft pick or not- we needed to sign at least 1 tackle - simply for TC purposes, so it was inevitable. Now, we can sign an actual good one, that will cost a bit more, but be a solid starter for us. So I am quite okay with how all of this has turned out.

IMO I would sign 2 T and leave the CFA to battle out Isiah, but I know no one is going to sign his stupid ass.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

3. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Exactly - if anything Elway should be taking more heat for this disaster of a contract. Paton's hands were tied. Now he still could have gotten a 3rd day guy instead of 14 defensive backs, but I don't blame him at the top of the draft so much.
    I don't blame him for focusing on the secondary. When we're trotting out the likes of OJ, Bassey, Dawson, Motley and a slew of 3rd rate safeties...and expecting results...we need to find quality depth. Especially when Callahan can't stay on the field...Darby has had his injury issues and Fuller is 30 and on a 1 year deal.

I look at 2022 and the only return starters I see are Simmons and Darby. So filling 4 or 5 secondary spots is a need at some point. So was tackle depth, but we only have so many high draft picks.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I think the easy answer and what they were already looking at doing prior to James going down is signing a FA RT.

My hunch is if they got one they liked in the draft then they would cool on the search. If not, they were going to go snag one. I think that was the plan to snag one anyway and then james went James again. Draft pick or not- we needed to sign at least 1 tackle - simply for TC purposes, so it was inevitable. Now, we can sign an actual good one, that will cost a bit more, but be a solid starter for us. So I am quite okay with how all of this has turned out.

IMO I would sign 2 T and leave the CFA to battle out Isiah, but I know no one is going to sign his stupid ass.
    I think Calvin Anderson is entrenched as the swing tackle, so getting a starter is priority #1 right now. And there are a few solid options out there that we can get for the same or less than we were going to pay James.

7. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I don't blame him for focusing on the secondary. When we're trotting out the likes of OJ, Bassey, Dawson, Motley and a slew of 3rd rate safeties...and expecting results...we need to find quality depth. Especially when Callahan can't stay on the field...Darby has had his injury issues and Fuller is 30 and on a 1 year deal.

I look at 2022 and the only return starters I see are Simmons and Darby. So filling 4 or 5 secondary spots is a need at some point. So was tackle depth, but we only have so many high draft picks.

What do you think about the LSU kid? kevin Jr or whatever his name is. The 7th rd pick. I watched more and more of him and I really like him. He did not play a ton, but he played really really well when he did. Can he be as good as bryce in the slot? Talk about a steal if so.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Adopted Bronco:

What do you think about the LSU kid? kevin Jr or whatever his name is. The 7th rd pick. I watched more and more of him and I really like him. He did not play a ton, but he played really really well when he did. Can he be as good as bryce in the slot? Talk about a steal if so.
    Kary Vincent. Right now he relies on just his athletic ability...and that did well for him at a high collegiate level. If he can learn from Fangio and Donatell...I think he has the potential to be a really good slot corner. is size will limit him to that anyway. When they drafted him, I had completely forgot about him because I thought he was drafter much earlier.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Yes I agree the secondary needed overhauling. But we had 10 picks -- obviously hindsight is 20/20 -- but this was a knowable and foreseeable risk. There is a reason Rashawn Slater was the odds on favorite to be our #1 pick - because the rest of the league saw the deficiency at the position...

Again, I don't blame Paton for hoping that James would get healthy and start -- his contract forced him to take that path... But not having a backup plan in the later rounds is a mistake. It's his first real blunder imo.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Yes I agree the secondary needed overhauling. But we had 10 picks -- obviously hindsight is 20/20 -- but this was a knowable and foreseeable risk. There is a reason Rashawn Slater was the odds on favorite to be our #1 pick - because the rest of the league saw the deficiency at the position...

Again, I don't blame Paton for hoping that James would get healthy and start -- his contract forced him to take that path... But not having a backup plan in the later rounds is a mistake. It's his first real blunder imo.
    Unless, as others have said, he saw the tackle market that currently exists in free agency and considered those guys better options as a backup plan than whomever was still there in the 5th round.

Adopted Bronco:

From what I understand, there were a few tackles he had an eye on, but other teams beat him to them. Which led to a big investment in the secondary. Brendan Jaimes of Nebraska was one...but he was off the board before we got Johnson. And I think I read Larry Borom was another, but he went right before we drafted Stearns.

So, it sounds like the intent was there...but the opportunity didn't really present it self in a space of value. I really like Stearns and Johnson, but I would happily give up Stearns for Jaimes.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Unless, as others have said, he saw the tackle market that currently exists in free agency and considered those guys better options as a backup plan than whomever was still there in the 5th round.
    I think every team sees what's available and compares that with potential cuts. It certainly worked for them with Fuller...maybe it works with another option.

14. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Right. That is the hope. Feels like wishful thinking though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Right. That is the hope. Feels like wishful thinking though.
    I mean, we're probably one of the most desirable spots for any tackle on the market right now, as we have a starting spot that they'd all but be guaranteed to step right into. I can't imagine a ton of teams are offering that at this point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Y'all are acting like Rodgers hasn't played with a shitty RT before.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

A FA RT, you say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

What do we know about the Titans tackle that we are bringing in for a visit? He allowed no sacks and no hold penalties I saw. Must have been decent enough, ya? they cut him loose though.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information