Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL has lost its mind

I guess I don't an issue with holding a group of people who are sticklers for rules accountable.

Regarding Hawg's point about math and the like - that's actually a point for 'my side' of the argument, but that will turn into politics.

No one should have a problem with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Majority of the country agrees with you, Lawdog. It is a joke.
    Source?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I guess I don't an issue with holding a group of people who are sticklers for rules accountable.

Regarding Hawg's point about math and the like - that's actually a point for 'my side' of the argument, but that will turn into politics.

No one should have a problem with this.
    Yes they should.

It's horseshit.

Not the end of the world tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yes they should.

It's horseshit.

Not the end of the world tho.
    Don't tempt 2020 into making this somehow the end of the world, Hawg.

Plz.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

100k because ipse dixit and pushback.

Eh, way of the world.

It's patently asinine, Fangio shouldn't be fined.

This is why we teach math, and then physics.

This will end up in politics.
    You think he should have been suspended instead of fined? Even though the league warned clubs after the week one violations, I think a fine makes more sense than suspending a head coach.

8. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    You think he should have been suspended instead of fined? Even though the league warned clubs after the week one violations, I think a fine makes more sense than suspending a head coach.
    Rules is rules. No prob with that.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Rules is rules. No prob with that.
    From what I saw on Redzone channel, all 32 teams should have been fined for coaches, or staff not wearing. Look at tonight’s game, if Gruden, and Payton, Raiders, and Saints aren’t fined, it is even more a joke.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    From what I saw on Redzone channel, all 32 teams should have been fined for coaches, or staff not wearing. Look at tonight’s game, if Gruden, and Payton, Raiders, and Saints aren’t fined, it is even more a joke.
    Power struggle. Maybe the coaches don't pay and fight it, who knows. That's a big ass fine.

I don't know. My own view is one thing and the NFL has some rules, so there you go. As far as the product on the field, well, it's in slings, braces, and not dressing on gameday, so...

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

given what he makes, i wish elway could've fined him 200k for not taking the gawd damn timeouts last week. . . he should write this one off as a fair exchange, IMO. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

14. The Following 8 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Fangio fined $100,000 and the Broncos $250,000 for not wearing a mask on the sideline.

With all the testing and restrictions, there is essentially zero risk here. The players on the field don’t wear masks. Not being political in any way, but this is effing stupid.
    As a lawyer, I think you understand the stick and the carrot. It's punitive by design, just like all the other fines in the NFL.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    As a lawyer, I think you understand the stick and the carrot. It's punitive by design, just like all the other fines in the NFL.
    I'm not suggesting that there isn't a rule in place, and that the NFL can levy fines for those who break said rule. I'm saying that the rule itself is stupid on its face because 1) the extensive protocols in place for testing, etc. throughout the week, and 2) the obvious conflict between allowing 47 players from each team to not wear masks while physically exerting themselves, but requiring everyone else on the sideline to wear a mask as if it has any basis at all in logic.

I think Tned mentioned that the rule was a result of the NFLPA and the NFL setting covid rules so the season could move forward. How does the player's union have any standing at all to agree to mandate that sideline personnel have to wear masks during games while the players do not?

Additionally, I think the level of fines is way, way beyond "reasonable." Carrot and stick requires some sort of balance - the carrot can't be a piece of gum and the stick a piece of dynamite.

Does Bill Bellicheck wearing a mask with the bottom half folded in exposing his mouth and nose meet the "wear a mask" guideline? How does allowing a coach to pull down the mask to make a play call, but then put it back up make any sense? Where do you draw the line on what was too long before recovering your mouth and what was "just right"? How does an inactive player in street clothes not wearing a mask on the sideline be allowable because he is a player and not a coach? I could go on, but why? It's a stupid situation.

I'm back to having moved on...

18. The Following 6 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a rule in place, and that the NFL can levy fines for those who break said rule. I'm saying that the rule itself is stupid on its face because 1) the extensive protocols in place for testing, etc. throughout the week, and 2) the obvious conflict between allowing 47 players from each team to not wear masks while physically exerting themselves, but requiring everyone else on the sideline to wear a mask as if it has any basis at all in logic.

I think Tned mentioned that the rule was a result of the NFLPA and the NFL setting covid rules so the season could move forward. How does the player's union have any standing at all to agree to mandate that sideline personnel have to wear masks during games while the players do not?

Additionally, I think the level of fines is way, way beyond "reasonable." Carrot and stick requires some sort of balance - the carrot can't be a piece of gum and the stick a piece of dynamite.

Does Bill Bellicheck wearing a mask with the bottom half folded in exposing his mouth and nose meet the "wear a mask" guideline? How does allowing a coach to pull down the mask to make a play call, but then put it back up make any sense? Where do you draw the line on what was too long before recovering your mouth and what was "just right"? How does an inactive player in street clothes not wearing a mask on the sideline be allowable because he is a player and not a coach? I could go on, but why? It's a stupid situation.

I'm back to having moved on...
    I suggest that you interview for the job of head council for the NFLPA and then in future negotiations you can address their, and the NFL's, insanity.

The players are ALSO fined for not wearing masks at the practice facility, when not practicing/physically exerting themselves when wearing a mask isn't feasible. Fined for going to a bar or nightclub (I believe all players are required to wear tracking devices), but for some narrow, allowed cases (less than 10 people in bar AND wearing a mask), etc.

The players and the NFL know that there is an 11 billion dollar golden egg, of which the players get more than half, at stake. They are working together to try and insure that there is a season, complete to the Super Bowl. Whether it's players breaking the AGREED upon rules that get fined, or coaches breaking the AGREED upon rules that get fined, that's on them, not the NFL or NFLPA.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Testing can be wrong and people break the rules.

/argument.

It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I suggest that you interview for the job of head council for the NFLPA and then in future negotiations you can address their, and the NFL's, insanity.

The players are ALSO fined for not wearing masks at the practice facility, when not practicing/physically exerting themselves when wearing a mask isn't feasible. Fined for going to a bar or nightclub (I believe all players are required to wear tracking devices), but for some narrow, allowed cases (less than 10 people in bar AND wearing a mask), etc.

The players and the NFL know that there is an 11 billion dollar golden egg, of which the players get more than half, at stake. They are working together to try and insure that there is a season, complete to the Super Bowl. Whether it's players breaking the AGREED upon rules that get fined, or coaches breaking the AGREED upon rules that get fined, that's on them, not the NFL or NFLPA.
    None of this addresses the issues I pointed out in the post you quoted.

But I’m really not gonna get into this any further, especially on Gene Mingo’s birthday for Pete’s sake.

None of this addresses the issues I pointed out in the post you quoted.

But I’m really not gonna get into this any further, especially on Gene Mingo’s birthday for Pete’s sake.
    If it's your 53 guys spitting and breathing, then you simply don't understand what the NFL and NFLPAs goal is - to do EVERYTHING possible to have a full season.

They aren't taking the, "well, since these guys can't wear a mask while playing, we simply won't have anyone wear a mask on game day" simplistic view if things.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information