Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fumbling and RB position

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Fumbling and RB position

Do I need to make a strong case that ball security is the most vital attribute of a modern running back? Or are we already there. I can't read y'all's mind. MO? Jaded?

I'm not even sure I'm right.

Talk to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Hmmmmmm.....

I think turnover battle is the single biggest teller of winning and losing. Regardless of position.

Having said that, when a players production vastly outweighs another turnovers cannot be the deciding factor.

We all want Watson here. If we do, we will see more sacks than with Drew. Buuuut Watsons play and production are increased so much more that its still easily worth it. Easily.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Yeah the fumble ratio has to be weighed against big play ability and amount of production and especially scoring production. The way the runner is separated from the ball should have some thing to do with it too. Is their upper body strength suspect? Do they have small hands? Are they practicing solid ball handling habits? Do they get stood up a lot so half the defense can get a stab? Or are they just the victims of bad luck helmet to ball missiles? There are a lot of fumbles I have seen lately that I don’t know if anyone could have avoided. But if a runner is constantly double arming the rock with their head down, their explosiveness suffers badly. They gotta be quick and consistent at changing their posture, switching the ball when necessary. Definitely a skill a runner needs to stay on the field and out of the doghouse.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

When Dan Reeves was our HC in from '81-'92, he made eliminated fumbles a high priority. Not only did he have Vance Johnson fair catch every single punt he fielded, no matter how much room he had to return, but he also had a stable of RBs who couldn't convert a 3rd & 1 to save their lives. There are RBs that can move the chains & hold on to the ball, but most of the time you need to decide which is the higher priority, and how much you are willing to sacrifice 1 to improve upon the other.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think there is some NFL "alpha" (to borrow the CAPM term) in this idea. I think you could use maths and make a good case. This is my gut feel. I should look into it--but I need access to good stat databases.

My proposition is this:

The optimal NFL roster uses replacement level running backs with elite ball security.
    What evidence would prove this?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

My instinct tells me that prioritizing a ball security back who is less talented over a more talented back who has a higher chance of fumbling is equivalent to taking a knee with time in the 4th quarter in the playoffs at home to go to OT instead of trying to win the game.

8. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Can’t fumble. Can’t do it.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Can’t fumble. Can’t do it.
    This is what my gut says--you can't build a roster around players who are scoring own-goals.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    This is what my gut says--you can't build a roster around players who are scoring own-goals.
    Yes

but then no.

Every player fumbles/ints. Lindsay is extremely RARE in this regard.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

12. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Yes

but then no.

Especially impressive considering his size

14. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    What if...it could be shown--with SCIENCE--that running backs have a *stable* trait called 'ball security' (aka fumble rate)?

What if it was also shown that this trait followed a generic distribution among ALL NFL running back candidates?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fumbrate.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	18342

What if it was then shown that it was the single most important trait in winning games? (NOT saying other traits are unimportant. They are.)

At this point, one might conclude that if NFL teams prized an explosive, average-fumbling 4.3 40 yard dash in a 220# body but neglected a non-fumbling 4.6 40 yard dash in a 220# body (ie, UDFA), they should scoop the freebie and devote scarce draft and FA resources toward other assets.

This isn't Lindsay vs. Freeman, exactly, but it applies. You could make a case that durability (so damned difficult to measure and harder to predict) is another one of these sneaky important traits.

But fumble rate seems to track from college to the pros, and it seems to conform to a generic distribution (like a 40 time might).

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

What if...it could be shown--with SCIENCE--that running backs have a *stable* trait called 'ball security' (aka fumble rate)?

What if it was also shown that this trait followed a generic distribution among ALL NFL running back candidates?

What if it was then shown that it was the single most important trait in winning games? (NOT saying other traits are unimportant. They are.)

At this point, one might conclude that if NFL teams prized an explosive, average-fumbling 4.3 40 yard dash in a 220# body but neglected a non-fumbling 4.6 40 yard dash in a 220# body (ie, UDFA), they should scoop the freebie and devote scarce draft and FA resources toward other assets.

This isn't Lindsay vs. Freeman, exactly, but it applies. You could make a case that durability (so damned difficult to measure and harder to predict) is another one of these sneaky important traits.

But fumble rate seems to track from college to the pros, and it seems to conform to a generic distribution (like a 40 time might).

You're not trying to apply analytics to football are you?

Going with the gut feeling is better. Pick the running back with the prettiest girlfriend.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

So show it.
    I'm going with the "it depends" cop out.
    I'll take a Barry Sanders' rookie year, 1500ish yards, 14 tds and coughed it up 10 times. Walter Payton dropped the rock 86 times, plus 4 times in the playoffs.
    Sometimes freakish running skills (and hot girlfriends) override the "hold the damn ball" rule.
    Melvin Gordon does not have freakish skills or a hot girlfriend.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    So show it.
    I'm going with the "it depends" cop out.
    I'll take a Barry Sanders' rookie year, 1500ish yards, 14 tds and coughed it up 10 times. Walter Payton dropped the rock 86 times, plus 4 times in the playoffs.
    Sometimes freakish running skills (and hot girlfriends) override the "hold the damn ball" rule.
    Melvin Gordon does not have freakish skills or a hot girlfriend.
    I was completely wrong. Gordon's wife is gorgeous. He makes he team.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

21. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It's a project unlikely to fetch a reward worth the time spent.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information