Poll: See OP for explanations

Thread: The biggest impact of the NFL’s disrupted 2020 off-season

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Default The biggest impact of the NFL’s disrupted 2020 off-season

More “Football Follies”: Less practice and more complex game plans could result in more buffoonery.

More Turnovers: Less practice could result in more break downs in the basic fundamentals, especially in proper ball handling, route running, knowing where receivers are going to be before they make their break so the QB can throw to the correct spot that the receiver hasn’t arrived at yet, effectiveness in reading defenses, etc.

More Penalties: Less practice could result in more break downs in the basic fundamentals, especially in blocking, pass defense technics, making legal tackles (especially when trying to sack the QB), etc.

More Close Games: Teams with more players possessing greater talent and/or work ethic are not able to get together to practice as much as they otherwise would.

More Blowouts: Teams with fewer players possessing greater talent need all the practice time they can get to compete with teams with more talented players

Higher Scoring Games: Most offense master their playbooks faster then most defenses, causing the average defense to be powerless in slowing down the average offense.

Lower Scoring Games: Most defenses master their playbooks faster then most offenses, causing the average offense to struggle in moving the ball against the average defense.

Fewer UDFAs making NFL rosters: Rookie camps and voluntary OTAs give the long shot rookies a better chance to be noticed by the coaches.

Fewer UDFAs, as well as 6th & 7th round draft picks, making NFL rosters Although Cam Newton is the most prominent player who can’t show coaches whether or not he’s fully recovered from his injury that ended his season in the 2nd week of last year, I’m sure there are others who are lesser known who are in a similar situation. It’s my understanding that part of the problem is that he insists on going somewhere he can be a starter, which would normally be resolved by now, but him not being allowed to do tryouts for coaches up to this point has made teams reluctant give him a contract that he’d demand without knowing if he’s worth it.

Simplified Game Plans: The “cure” for about half this list.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

6) More “Football Follies”: Its possible that there could be an increase in such comical plays, but I doubt that it would noticeable.

3) [3 way Tie] More Turnovers & Penalties, as well as simplified game plans: Basic fundamentals usually do suffer a bit for the 1st month of most seasons due to off season rust, but usually clear up as much as humanly possible by the middle of the season. I can see it taking a little longer for players to get into mid-season form, but they should get there long before the play-offs. I think a number of teams will try to mitigate these problems as much as possible with simplified games plans, but everyone should be using their entire playbook long before the start of the play-offs.

2) FAs coming off season ending injuries having less impact: As I mentioned before, Cam Newton is the most prominent player that is being impacted by this. I’ve heard some commentators suggest that he should continue to hold out until QB injuries force teams to sign mid-season replacements, but who has that actually worked out for the QBs who’ve done that. The situation that immediately comes to my mind was when the Raiders signed Carson Palmer in the middle of the 2011 season.

Not only did the Raiders go 4-5 with him as their starter, but he only threw 13 TDs to 16 INTs in those 10 games/9 starts. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/rai/2011.htm

The Raiders finished 4-11 in games he started the following season, although he did improve to 22 TDs to 14 INTs https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/rai/2012.htm

So, can anyone give me an example in which a mid-season signing of a QB has worked out since the 1930s, when QBs were little more then a 4th starting RB?

1) Fewer UDFAs, as well as 6th & 7th round draft picks, making NFL rosters: I suspect that a lot of you immediately thought of UDFA Phillip Lindsay and/or 7th round pick Terrel Davis when you 1st read this option, but I’m going a different direction. Who can tell me, without looking it up, who owns all of Denver’s career receiving records? This goes beyond what a player might be able to contribute this season. My concern is that some players who could go down as all-time greats may have their careers snuffed out before they can start due to the lack of rookie camps taking away the extra opportunities they need to get noticed.
    Last edited by FanInAZ; 06-15-2020 at 02:28 AM.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information