Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quite possibly the most ridiculous rule proposal I've ever seen

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Quite possibly the most ridiculous rule proposal I've ever seen

I'm usually all for any and every rule change, but this would just be completely ridiculous.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This won’t end well. Dumb rule.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The Draft is a reverse merit system, the worse you do the better your draft position, now if you hire a minority it also counts as reverse merit?
    Kinda makes sense actually. J/K (I shouldn't have to point that out)

As an aside if you hire Vance Joseph you are guaranteed to improve your draft position so in a way this rule is already in effect.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    This won’t end well. Dumb rule.
    I get that those numbers of currently employed minority coaches and GMs is bad, but good lord that's the worst way possible to fix it. You'd just see a bunch of teams hiring puppet GMs with no real power to get that pick.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Dumb rule.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I get that those numbers of currently employed minority coaches and GMs is bad, but good lord that's the worst way possible to fix it. You'd just see a bunch of teams hiring puppet GMs with no real power to get that pick.
    If i was a POC i would be offended at them even proposing something like this.

11. The Following 8 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I have a great disdain for the Rooney rule.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

13. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The GM number is bad but the HC numbers aren't that far off from reflecting society. Now, admittedly NFL demographics do not reflect society in any other aspect so maybe it shouldn't in GM/HC numbers either but it is still something to ponder.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    The GM number is bad but the HC numbers aren't that far off from reflecting society. Now, admittedly NFL demographics do not reflect society in any other aspect so maybe it shouldn't in GM/HC numbers either but it is still something to ponder.
    It just takes years and years to fix this. Owners are averse to hiring younger guys to be head coaches or GMs and there aren’t a lot of black scouts and coaches that have been around for 30 years like owners like to hire. Maybe the younger coach movement will change that some, but it’s a hard culture to change, also because you’re trying to change 32 old white men’s behavior.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Owners to vote on resolution to incentivize minority HC, GM hires

Long article, with a lot of details

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-pres...to-rooney-rule

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Yeah it's tough, because those 64 jobs are also a small sample size. It'd be one thing if a company with 10000 employees had fewer than 10% as minorities, but when there are only 64 you can sometimes see odd things like that. I just don't think there is a way to force NFL teams to just put more minorities in those two jobs without it coming off as too affirmative action-ish.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    It just takes years and years to fix this. Owners are averse to hiring younger guys to be head coaches or GMs and there aren’t a lot of black scouts and coaches that have been around for 30 years like owners like to hire. Maybe the younger coach movement will change that some, but it’s a hard culture to change, also because you’re trying to change 32 old white men’s behavior.
    There is also something to the fact that the best coaches, even in other sports, are like back up type guys. Look at all these young coaches so many of them are non NFL level college QB types or career backup QB types. Not a ton of minorities in those roles even at the college level.

In MLB ex-catchers make good managers.

Just a weird observation.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Another thing that would suck about this rule is that every time a team hired a POC going forward, many people would just assume, fairly or not, that he was just hired for the draft picks. So they'd basically already be on the hot seat before even starting.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

BB would legally have his race changed to African and then fire and hire himself every year.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

BB would legally have his race changed to African and then fire and hire himself every year.
    BB digging through his family tree right now looking for some minority heritage.

25. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information