Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Quite possibly the most ridiculous rule proposal I've ever seen

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

It should be your draft position is better if you promise to draft slow white guy wide receivers only in the first 2 rounds. See how good the Chiefs look in a few years when Taylor "Bucko" Johnson from Corn-fed University is showing off his 5.2 40 speed and getting rocked in the Broncos secondary!

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

By even considering this idiocy the league is essentially claiming that they have been actively preventing qualified people from being hired solely because of the color of the person’s skin.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    It's a dumb rule. If the NFL really wants to help minorities become coaches and owners then they should put as much money as they can into organizations and activism that helps level the playing field when it comes to opportunities and education.
    Well, yeah ... when you put it like that it sounds bad.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

5. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

I mean, we have to be honest. It's insane that most of the coaches are white. And in my time watching football, I've seen some spotty head coaches get multiple chances. Most of them were white. We clearly have an issue. What the person/s who made this proposal are really saying is that for whatever reason/s, the doesn't hire black coaches and it might take a competitive challenge for that to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Get a black owner and watch the tide turn. There’s a black Denver billionaire that people have floated as a possible buyer for the Broncos ... bring it!
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

9. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I mean, we have to be honest. It's insane that most of the coaches are white. And in my time watching football, I've seen some spotty head coaches get multiple chances. Most of them were white. We clearly have an issue. What the person/s who made this proposal are really saying is that for whatever reason/s, the doesn't hire black coaches and it might take a competitive challenge for that to change.
    I don't think all the owners are racist, either.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

No team is going to hire a head coach that wasn't their first choice just for a higher third round pick. They might hire a GM "in name only" for that, but is that really doing anyone any good?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    No team is going to hire a head coach that wasn't their first choice just for a higher third round pick. They might hire a GM "in name only" for that, but is that really doing anyone any good?
    I'm just saying sometimes you propose something like this to start a conversation, or highlight an issue. It's either that, which is sharp, or what you say, which is bad. But, if it's a GM in name only I would imagine they would be sanctioned for trying to get one over on the league.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Why is it "insane"?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Why is it "insane"?
    It's so wildly skewed from what the league actually looks like. It's a hard sell that time after time, decade after decade, the 'best' people are almost always white in a league where 68% of the players are black. When players retire they often go into coaching, front office jobs, etc. They often start that new career path after retirement. So we've had generations of players come and go and yet...even though the majority of people in the sport are black, the leadership positions and roles are white.

It's not because the owners are a bunch of bigots.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It's so wildly skewed from what the league actually looks like. It's a hard sell that time after time, decade after decade, the 'best' people are almost always white in a league where 68% of the players are black. When players retire they often go into coaching, front office jobs, etc. They often start that new career path after retirement. So we've had generations of players come and go and yet...even though the majority of people in the sport are black, the leadership positions and roles are white.

How do we know that POC even desire to be a GM?

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Without getting too political I just think this is one of the many examples of thinking inequality of outcome means there has to be an inequality of opportunity.

There are virtually zero white CBs and only one white HB that I can think of but that inequality is never discussed nor cared about, but we'll drone on and on when things go the other way.

Some things in life just are what they are.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

18. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    How do we know that POC even desire to be a GM?
    I've heard players and pundits mention in a lot over the years. There's some evidence of general strife about it. https://theundefeated.com/features/b...t-a-fair-shot/

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The problem here is that this particular approach sends a very bad message mainly to POC. It says basically that they are not good enough to get it on their own on their own merits and instead we will forcibly put them in positions because the teams can then get something out of it whether your fail or succeed. While POC should definitely get more opportunities it should never be an issue of forcing it in a way that makes it look like its more for what a team can get out of it rather than actually giving an opportunity to a POC.

This is basically the NFL's way of saying hey blackie, we are going to give you a chance at HC but we wont do it unless we get something out of it. If the NFL really gave a shit about putting more POC in head coaching and GM positions than they wouldnt put any stipulations on it. Its just insulting at this stage and most of the black people ive seen in tv and read about HATE this idea.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    The problem here is that this particular approach sends a very bad message mainly to POC. It says basically that they are not good enough to get it on their own on their own merits and instead we will forcibly put them in positions because the teams can then get something out of it whether your fail or succeed. While POC should definitely get more opportunities it should never be an issue of forcing it in a way that makes it look like its more for what a team can get out of it rather than actually giving an opportunity to a POC.

This is basically the NFL's way of saying hey blackie, we are going to give you a chance at HC but we wont do it unless we get something out of it. If the NFL really gave a shit about putting more POC in head coaching and GM positions than they wouldnt put any stipulations on it. Its just insulting at this stage and most of the black people ive seen in tv and read about HATE this idea.
    I don't know if it sends a bad message in totality. This plan in and of itself is untenable, but even in that article that I posed, there's a lot of confidence in black coaches amongst black coaches. It's also hard to make a "if you do it this way then it shows you're not good enough to do it on your own," when...(1) I don't think any reasonable person believes that but (2)POC aren't being hired, period.

I think it's more of a "For whatever reason POC aren't getting any opportunity and this is what it will literally take for NFL offices to give them a shot." I don't think this proposal was anything more or less than that - it sparked a conversation that clearly needs to be had.

Again, I think it's more of a systemic thing than the owners are bigots.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information