Thread: Longreads

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Longreads

Buff turned me on to Sandworm and it was a good book. It was written by Andy Greenberg, an editor at Wired magazine.

Here's a longread from yesterday written by Andy. I have only begun to read it, but it's got a great hook and I want to come back to it.

The Confessions of Marcus Hutchins, the Hacker Who Saved the Internet
    At 22, he single-handedly put a stop to the worst cyberattack the world had ever seen. Then he was arrested by the FBI. This is his untold story.

https://www.wired.com/story/confessi...=pocket-newtab
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Well, hell, I ended up just reading it.

Question for Davii--but I need you to skim this section:
    But just then, an IT administrator came into the room and told the staff that something more unusual was going on: A virus seemed to be spreading across the hospital's network. One of the PCs in the room had rebooted, and now Jones could see that it showed a red screen with a lock in the upper left corner. “Ooops, your files have been encrypted!” it read. At the bottom of the screen, it demanded a $300 payment in bitcoin to unlock the machine.

Jones had no time to puzzle over the message before he was called back into the surgical theater. He scrubbed, put on his mask and gloves, and reentered the operating room, where surgeons were just finishing an orthopedic procedure. Now it was Jones' job to wake the patient up again. He began to slowly turn a dial that tapered off the sevoflurane vapor feeding into the patient's lungs, trying to time the process exactly so that the patient wouldn't wake up before he'd had a chance to remove the breathing tube, but wouldn't stay out long enough to delay their next surgery.

As he focused on that task, he could hear the surgeons and nurses expressing dismay as they tried to record notes on the surgery's outcome: The operating room's desktop PC seemed to be dead.
    How does Intuitive hack-proof devices?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Just finished. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Buff turned me on ..
    Same

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Same
    While I fully get how you and Hawg could get turned on by Buff, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a longread is.

Hawg??

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    While I fully get how you and Hawg could get turned on by Buff, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a longread is.

Hawg??
    Literally a long read. A long form piece, whether it be an essay, a feature, an explainer, etc.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Literally a long read. A long form piece, whether it be an essay, a feature, an explainer, etc.
    A Joel?

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    OK, not like a really long book (war and peace, anything written by Clavell, etc.), but instead a long article, essay, etc. So, a short book or long essay, kind of thing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A Joel?
    Yeah. Kind of. Without the circular logic, hopefully.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

A Joel?
    In my younger days, it also could have been a Tned, but with age, the third thing to go was my verbosity.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    OK, not like a really long book (war and peace, anything written by Clavell, etc.), but instead a long article, essay, etc. So, a short book or long essay, kind of thing.
    On the nonfiction side. Usually of a journalistic nature.

14. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

This website has a collection of long reads.

https://longform.org/best

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information