Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ǷΘΘϺ

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default ǷΘΘϺ

There is a new Doom game. I just bought it. I hope it's good. They say it's good.

I've played all the Dooms. I think.

I started when the original came out--I was a freshman in college and we just figured out how to do 4-player LAN parties in the dorms. '93-ish.

Then Doom 2 came along shortly thereafter, many hours were squandered. I loved the aesthetic--the wall textures were so hellish and compelling. Combine this with the freedom of a 19 y/o who only has to get good grades and whatever other bother they assign for you at a military academy, add some Downward Spiral and Offspring, garnish with parsley, viola!

It took a while until another good title came along, but I remember playing Doom 3 while still active duty back in the Springs. I was dipping then, and I remember I'd throw one in, turn out the lights, and immerse in the game. This one had a good amount of tension--the others never had jumpscares or whatever, or they were not that effective, but this one had a few. I remember enjoying it, but it was also like that 3d album from a great band that sounds a lot like the first two albums. The aesthetic was still outstanding, and this time the shadows and sound were also phenomenal.

Still, it was diminishing returns at this point. HL2 came out around the same time--no question which game was superior.

Then the reboot a few years ago. Doom was a cliche by then, but it got good reviews so I gave it a try. Turned out to be very tight--that great band got together and put out some quality material. I played through it a couple of times, solid shooter.

So, here we are. I'm a sucker for the Gogol hell-incarnate dreamscapes set to metal/techno with some kind of shotgun and weird hell-spawn with bad intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I was actually wanting to download D2 for Android but after playing Wolfenstein 3D for about 10 minutes, I didn't.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Thanks for cropdusting my DOOM thread pal!
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

My dad bought me Doom in the early 90's. I was born in 87. I think for me the allure wasn't just the great graphics at the time, but the notion that one bullet wasn't enough to 'kill' something was sort of mindblowing to me. Yeah, I was a real bright kid, derp.

God I loved that game. That and Duke Nukem, but those are other stories for other days.

Doom as a franchise is such a legendary franchise that even the young gamers know the deal on it.

Hawg, set up a streaming rig and fire it up.

Or, let me know if it's good. I might have to pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Also, talk about having a name nailed down. Doom? That's just incredible.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Oh, I thought this said Poon.

My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

DOOM's secret recipe: world-class walking simulator.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Oh, I thought this said Poon.

My bad.
    Yes, the Poon aesthetic is also fascinating.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I remember playing that first Doom in the late 90's lol. We have come a long way with graphics now.

14. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I remember playing that first Doom in the late 90's lol. We have come a long way with graphics now.
    It is probably difficult for the young to understand how immersive those crappy graphics were.

Then again, with the retro/8-bit throwback movement, maybe not.

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    It is probably difficult for the young to understand how immersive those crappy graphics were.

Then again, with the retro/8-bit throwback movement, maybe not.
    Did you ever play that game Myst? That was another one i played back then.

18. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Did you ever play that game Myst? That was another one i played back then.
    Sadly no. My bf back then was yyyyyyyuuuuuuuugggggge into that game, but I missed it. He was enthralled by it and I jealous of his obvious enjoyment.

Ok, sorry Shazam for jumping on you about Wolfenstein, a quality title. I know you are a Doom bro.

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I just started.

This is the intro.

This game could suck hereafter...but *that* is how you intro.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It just occurs to me--part of the appeal for me is the exact reason for the appeal of Dante's work. Who can resist a tour of hell from a safe distance?

24. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    It just occurs to me--part of the appeal for me is the exact reason for the appeal of Dante's work. Who can resist a tour of hell from a safe distance?
    Satan, God, and perhaps incredibly robust Angels and Demons?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information