Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos decide against 5th year of holding calls

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    This has been discussed ad nauseum. Ramczyk is and plays RT. He also has Drew Brees as his QB which makes a huge difference when a QB knows how to work the pocket and get the ball out. Stop making dumb comparisons that don’t really compare. The Saints drafted Ramczyk to play LT and move on from Armstead. When they tried him out there it was a disaster so they kept Armstead and moved Ramczyk to RT. You can continue to beat the Ramczyk drum, but the fact of the matter is, he’d be just as bad at LT as Bolles is or he’d have had to play RT. Either way, we’d still be in search of a future LT.
    Obviously they would have kept Ramczyk at RT if he didn't pan out at LT and moved JuWuan James to LT, or they would have drafted or signed another FA T.

Either way they would have ONE reliable starting T on the roster. Right now they have none.

It's been 7 years since Ryan Clady had his last good season, and still no replacement.

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    The Broncos looked at the Tackles available to them in this year's draft and declined to have another Bolles / Sambrailo / Schofield / Franklin situation happen to them again.

They also declined the option on Bolles, as he is not the answer. I mean, they could always sign him to an extension, but I don't expect it.

I do expect them to grab one of the good OTs available next year. They might have to move up, but it's way too early to say and if this year's meat-n-potatoes draft works out they can spend a few picks to get the one OT they really want. Not Sewell (they're not getting up to him no matter what) but someone.

What Denver has isn't sufficient for the long term. What they could get in this draft wasn't either. It's a roll of the dice to wait, but no more than it is to invest in a Bolles-type pick and have it not pan out.

So for now, Bolles is the placeholder (assuming he doesn't lose his job to Wilkinson, and I do make that assumption) and we'll see what the rest of the team can do while we take one more year to get the LTOTF.

We hope.
    The reason they didn't take a T in the 2020 draft was the same exact reason they didn't take a QB in the 2018 draft. When Elway was asked about that he said "we're not kicking Paxton to the curb."

Paxton was his pick. He always gives 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances to his draft picks. He's always trying desperately to prove that he wasn't wrong about them and it skews his personnel decisions.

Same thing with Bolles. Elway just wanted to give Bolles another chance to prove himself.

At the same time he's not going to guarantee him $11m contract at this point, so obviously they weren't going to re-up him. They can probably negotiate a new FA contract for maybe $7-9m. He's not going to suddenly become an All-Pro and get $11+ m a year.

But, Elway is going to want to keep Bolles on the roster for next year, just because he hates admitting he just picked a bust.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Fair enough.

Hold me?
    okay. . . somebody hold my beer. . .

not you, bolles!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

4. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The reason they didn't take a T in the 2020 draft was the same exact reason they didn't take a QB in the 2018 draft. When Elway was asked about that he said "we're not kicking Paxton to the curb."

Paxton was his pick. He always gives 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances to his draft picks. He's always trying desperately to prove that he wasn't wrong about them and it skews his personnel decisions.

Same thing with Bolles. Elway just wanted to give Bolles another chance to prove himself.

At the same time he's not going to guarantee him $11m contract at this point, so obviously they weren't going to re-up him. They can probably negotiate a new FA contract for maybe $7-9m. He's not going to suddenly become an All-Pro and get $11+ m a year.

But, Elway is going to want to keep Bolles on the roster for next year, just because he hates admitting he just picked a bust.
    As usual you don't know why Elway did what he did or didn't. Why is it that you always act you work in the front office? 9 times out 10 you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Elway just decided not pick up the fifth year option on Bolles' contact and yet you're trying to tell everyone Bolles will re-signed after this year? Seems unlikely.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-03-2020 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    As usual you don't know why Elway did what he did or didn't. Why is it that you always act you work in the front office? 9 times out 10 you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Elway just decided not pick up the fifth year option on Bolles' contact and yet you're trying to tell everyone Bolles will re-signed after this year? Seems unlikely.
    Did you fall on your head or something?

Why would Elway want to guarantee Bolles $11m a year? He can probably re-sign him if he wants for maybe $8-9m. You think teams are going to want to line up and give elite T money when he leads the league in holding?

As for what Elway thinks, I infer this from his BEHAVIOR of course. Try paying attention and you'd be able to figure it out too. Lots of sportswriters who talk with Elway comment on it too.

Elway did this with Paxton. He's STILL convinced that he didn't make a mistake drafting Paxton. It just "didn't work out." He said this in an interview, so I don't have to infer.

Elway does this stuff all the time, giving his sucky draft picks or trades, multiple chances. Devontee Booker and Jeff Heurman anyone?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Did you fall on your head or something?

Why would Elway want to guarantee Bolles $11m a year? He can probably re-sign him if he wants for maybe $8-9m. You think teams are going to want to line up and give elite T money when he leads the league in holding?

As for what Elway thinks, I infer this from his BEHAVIOR of course. Try paying attention and you'd be able to figure it out too. Lots of sportswriters who talk with Elway comment on it too.

Elway did this with Paxton. He's STILL convinced that he didn't make a mistake drafting Paxton. It just "didn't work out." He said this in an interview, so I don't have to infer.

Elway does this stuff all the time, giving his sucky draft picks or trades, multiple chances. Devontee Booker and Jeff Heurman anyone?
    You are an idiot. You don't infer anything all you do is pull things and try to present them as facts. Apparently you don't comprehend very well. Did Elway release Lynch? The answer is yes, that admission that Lynch was a failed pick. Him saying that things did work out is an admission he's a failed. You truly thick in head with moronic thoughts. You actually paid which obviously you don't you would have noticed that when Elway does not pick a 5th option that player will be gone. Shane Ray's 5th year was also not picked up and what happened? That's right, Ray was allowed to leave. That's two first round whose 5th year options were not exercised.

Yet you supposedly know that Elway is going give Bolles a smaller contract and keep him as the starter. Next year's draft is much deeper than this past draft, what do think happens to Bolles if Elway drafts an LT in the first round? It's seems unlikely that he would not even be on the team.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-07-2020 at 02:32 PM.

8. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    You are an idiot. You don't infer anything all you do is pull things and try to present them as facts. Apparently you don't comprehend very well. Did Elway release Lynch? The answer is yes, that admission that Lynch was a failed pick. Him saying that things did work out is an admission he's a failed. You truly thick in head with moronic thoughts. You actually paid which obviously you don't you would have noticed that when Elway does not pick a 5th option that player will be gone. Shane Ray's 5th year was also not picked up and what happened? That's right, Ray was allowed to leave. That's two first round whose 5th year options were not exercised.

Yet you supposedly know that Elway is going give Bolles a smaller contract and keep him as the starter. Next year's draft much deeper than this past draft, what do think happens to Bolles if Elway drafts an LT in the first round? It's seems unlikely that he would even be on the team.
    You're even more hilarious here! I got a big laugh out of your absurdity.

See, Elway didn't draft a QB in 2018. He was asked at his presser immediately afterwards "why didn't you draft a QB?" His answer was "We're not kicking Paxton to the curb!"

This was after Paxton had flamed out 2 seasons in a row. Everybody in the universe knew Paxton was a bust. Paxton knew Paxton was a bust.

But, Elway wanted to give Paxton "one last chance" to see if somehow magically, he'd justify his pick by turning into a good QB in training camp 2018.

It didn't happen, and Paxton's inability to learn any plays he didn't run in college meant they had to release him.

That's it. Elway bent over backwards to defend an obvious bust. He does this all the time. He's doing it with Bolles right now, and everybody who doesn't have his head firmly up his own rear knows it.

Why else is Bolles on this team after 3 years of constant drive killing holding calls? If he wasn't a #1 pick he wouldn't be here. If he'd been a third round pick, they would have dumped him after his rookie season.

Whether he keeps Bolles or not he would still want to draft a T in the next draft because he doesn't want to pay Juwuan James $14m in 2021, because that's what his contract calls for. But, the dead cap hit is only $6m, so James would either have to re-do his contract for MUCH less money or be released.

They would need a T, and I would expect them to draft one. Possibly 2 if they dump Bolles. But, he can certainly back up, start or switch to RT depending on how he does this season.

Either way you look at it, Elway saved money, because Bolles isn't worth his $11m contract next year. Obviously, Elway isn't going to pay that much even if he keeps Bolles.

10. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Well I'll say this. I remember hating lepsis. And obviously some of that had to do with his involvement on the Davis injury, but a lot of it was he held a lot early in his career. I'm just hoping that Garrett can somehow have something click. He's very gifted physically.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

How do you WILLINGLY go from Gary Zimmerman/Tony Jones to Matt Lepsis? This was when Shanatan started to get drunk on ego.

Clearly there’s a huge difference between a 290lb OL and a 285lb TE.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

You're even more hilarious here! I got a big laugh out of your absurdity.

See, Elway didn't draft a QB in 2018. He was asked at his presser immediately afterwards "why didn't you draft a QB?" His answer was "We're not kicking Paxton to the curb!"

This was after Paxton had flamed out 2 seasons in a row. Everybody in the universe knew Paxton was a bust. Paxton knew Paxton was a bust.

But, Elway wanted to give Paxton "one last chance" to see if somehow magically, he'd justify his pick by turning into a good QB in training camp 2018.

It didn't happen, and Paxton's inability to learn any plays he didn't run in college meant they had to release him.

That's it. Elway bent over backwards to defend an obvious bust. He does this all the time. He's doing it with Bolles right now, and everybody who doesn't have his head firmly up his own rear knows it.

Why else is Bolles on this team after 3 years of constant drive killing holding calls? If he wasn't a #1 pick he wouldn't be here. If he'd been a third round pick, they would have dumped him after his rookie season.

Whether he keeps Bolles or not he would still want to draft a T in the next draft because he doesn't want to pay Juwuan James $14m in 2021, because that's what his contract calls for. But, the dead cap hit is only $6m, so James would either have to re-do his contract for MUCH less money or be released.

They would need a T, and I would expect them to draft one. Possibly 2 if they dump Bolles. But, he can certainly back up, start or switch to RT depending on how he does this season.

Either way you look at it, Elway saved money, because Bolles isn't worth his $11m contract next year. Obviously, Elway isn't going to pay that much even if he keeps Bolles.
    You said emphatically in the previous two posts that Elway was going keep Bolles and now you're waffling. Make up your freaking mind for change Cug.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-03-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Well I'll say this. I remember hating lepsis. And obviously some of that had to do with his involvement on the Davis injury, but a lot of it was he held a lot early in his career. I'm just hoping that Garrett can somehow have something click. He's very gifted physically.
    i would kill to have a tackle as good as lepsis right about now. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Kill Bolles and you might get what your heart desires.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Lepsis was better but I don't think it was wide of margin between him and Bolles. Lepsis was better pass protection but he still be overwhelmed by bull rushers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

If Stink and Deebo piss you off about Bolles you should listen to Matt McChesney ... no seriously, it’s hilarious.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    If Stink and Deebo piss you off about Bolles you should listen to Matt McChesney ... no seriously, it’s hilarious.
    There was a certain point where it did/does feel like Stink has a vendetta against him, which makes me care less about his points. It shouldn't, do it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information