Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: 4 Album Bands

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    They are early pioneers of electronic music founded in the 60's I believe? I first heard them watching Legend when I was a kid because they did the soundtrack for the theatrical cut. They are very prolific and still make albums and tour to this day.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/1BGN1IdyiSR0ZYrkoKNchl

This is one of their more popular songs in America from the film Legend:

A bit in the vein of Kraftwerk, Amon Duul II, Can, Focus, Gong a lot of those European early spacey electronic heavy bands. They did some interesting stuff, way ahead of their time
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Best American rock band?
    The Wrecking Crew. I'm kinda in a Leon Russell rabbit hole and thought this should be mentioned.

The group came together in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s under producer Phil Spector, whose orchestral pop arrangements -- an approach dubbed the "Wall of Sound" -- required trained musicians of great skill. The group comprised of a rotating cast of nearly 30 musicians. However, the nucleus of the Wrecking Crew was storied drummer Hal Blaine, guitarists Glen Campbell and Tommy Tedesco; bassists Carol Kaye and Ray Pohlman; along with Don Randi and Leon Russell on the keyboard.

Together, along with various other musicians like James Burton, Al Casey, Barney Kessel, Larry Knechtel, Plas Johnson, and Earl Palmer, they formed the most successful pop band that never played live.

Wrecking Crew leader Hal Blaine is said to have played on 6,000 singles, including 150 Top Ten hits and 40 chart-toppers. A very small sampling of The Wrecking Crew's most memorable tracks would include "Surfin' U.S.A." by The Beach Boys, "Da Doo Ron Ron (When He Walked Me Home)" by The Crystals, "Surf City" by Jan and Dean, "Be My Baby" by The Ronettes, "I Get Around" by The Beach Boys, "Everybody Loves Somebody" by Dean Martin, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'," by The Righteous Brothers, "Mr. Tambourine Man" by The Byrds, "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas And the Papas, "I Got You Babe" by Sonny & Cher, "River Deep – Mountain High" by Ike and Tina Turner, "Strangers in the Night" by Frank Sinatra, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" by Nancy Sinatra, "Never My Love" by The Association, "Up, Up and Away" by The 5th Dimension, "The Beat Goes On" by Sonny & Cher, "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell, "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris, "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon & Garfunkel, "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim, "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" by The 5th Dimension, "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel, "(They Long to Be) Close to You" by The Carpenters, "Cracklin' Rosie" by Neil Diamond, "Bridge over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel, "Don't Pull Your Love" by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds, "Indian Reservation" by Paul Revere & the Raiders, "Half-Breed" by Cher, "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" by Vicki Lawrence, "Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell, and "Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain & Tennille.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I researched the Wrecking Crew last week and I think you're right.

They also recorded basically all of the music minus the vocals on Pet Sounds.

6. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Speaking of 4 albums:

https://www.spin.com/2020/03/difficu...and-pearl-jam/

There are certain clichés associated with the triumphs and pitfalls of a recording artist’s first or second album – the confident debut often gives way to the sophomore slump. But career arcs vary more as bands go a bit further down the road, and patterns become less reliable. That said, the fourth album tends to be a point of inflection, the moment where an artist’s early sound has run its course or rising tensions in a band lead to a lineup change. Sometimes it was torture to make, and sometimes it was simply difficult to sell, but the Difficult Fourth Album has, over the last few decades, become a recurring theme in some of the most celebrated careers in popular music, from The Beatles and Bruce Springsteen to Radiohead and Kanye West.

Here are a dozen notable Difficult Fourth Albums throughout pop history – not all of them are masterpieces, and only one of them is the artist’s biggest seller. But, all of them are key transitional albums that make a before and after point in their discographies.

8. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

In contrast is Led Zeppelin IV. I haven’t read a ton on Zeppelin as I have on some other bands, but they completely stole away to a mansion in the English countryside and turned it into a studio. It’s amazing. For example, I know the drum track on “When The Levee Breaks“ was recorded with natural reverb from, I believe, the top of the steps to the second floor of the mansion’s main foyer.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Damn, this is a good song!

Choice cut: “Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)”
    I need to listen to more Talking Heads.

I thought maybe Steely Dan is a 4-album'er. The first two are outstanding, and Aja makes a third. None of the rest felt as powerful, cover to cover. But maybe.

I really need to come to terms with Springsteen. I think I'm making a mistake. But the heart wants what it wants.

Oh, btw, I think the British punk/goth band The Damned is a four-album band (Black Album, Strawberries, Machine Gun Etiquette, and Phantasmagoria), but I have never offered this opinion because it's a darling of mine, and this isn't about darlings. Too many people are just flat turned off by Vanian's singing voice.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    In contrast is Led Zeppelin IV. I haven’t read a ton on Zeppelin as I have on some other bands, but they completely stole away to a mansion in the English countryside and turned it into a studio. It’s amazing. For example, I know the drum track on “When The Levee Breaks“ was recorded with natural reverb from, I believe, the top of the steps to the second floor of the mansion’s main foyer.
    There's a great memoir of it somewhere, the band tucking away to record amidst stardom. Wiki is all I have for now.

III
    The acoustic material developed from a songwriting session between band members Jimmy Page and Robert Plant at Bron-Yr-Aur cottage in Wales, which influenced the musical direction. The songs were recorded in three locations. Much of the work was done at Headley Grange, a country house, using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Additional sessions were held in more traditional recording studios, such as Island Studios and Olympic Studios in London.
    IV
    It was produced by guitarist Jimmy Page and recorded between December 1970 and February 1971, mostly in the country house Headley Grange. ...

The informal setting at Headley Grange inspired the band, and allowed them to try different arrangements of material and create songs in a variety of styles

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    There's a great memoir of it somewhere, the band tucking away to record amidst stardom. Wiki is all I have for now.

III

IV
    They combine the early hard rock/metal of I and II with the folk of III and then blend in the mysticism and fantasy that Robert Plant loved. It’s a nearly flawless album, IMO.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    They combine the early hard rock/metal of I and II with the folk of III and then blend in the mysticism and fantasy that Robert Plant loved. It’s a nearly flawless album, IMO.
    Agreed.

I liked reading this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

18. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information