Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 4 Album Bands

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Yeah, I mean it’s truly baffling why people enjoy musicianship of the caliber where the musicians can improvise for thousands of hours a year in front of live audiences.

Have you started growing out your dreads?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Have you started growing out your dreads?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F046E05-96E8-4CF9-8D46-A0125DA36F6D.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	16765
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

U2 - #21 (49, 110, 334, 455 ; J Tree, Achtung, War, Unforgettaboutit)
    Pixies - #14 (17, 94, 430, 696 ; Doolittle, Bossanova, Surfer Rosa, Trompe le Monde) {ed note: weird dispersion of album rankings. would like to see them lower for sake of credibility, but also ok with high placement}
    Fleetwood Mac - #37 (28, 567, 673, 1072 ; Rumours, Tusk, S/T, Tango)
    DMB - #405 (1200-1800 for 1st 3 albums, Busted Stuff is #4500 or so) {ed note: whoa--these arcade fire homos need to enjoy good unpretentious music}
    Van Halen - #204 (367, 900, 1901, 2464 ; VH1, 1984, Fair Warning, Women and Children)
    Motley Crue - #708 (Dr. Feelgood came in as the #21xx album) {ed note: I understand this website, while it aggregates many lists of top albums, is not the be-all-end-all}
    Kinks - #73 (4th highest ranking is Lola album at ~600)
    Queen - #57 (best - 90th, 4th best - around 900, 6th best - around 950, 7th best "The Game" was 1100 or so) {ed note: supports idea that Queen belongs on this kind of list--nearly seven top 1000 albums is impressive, even if the top 4 don't all go yard}
    Ramones - #140 (207d - 1860th ; 1st thru 4th)
    Clash - #22 (19, 242, 688, 988 ; London Calling, the Clash, Sandanista!, combat Rock)
    AC/DC - #90 (135, 421, 1066, 1194)
    Petty - WEIRD - with Heartbreakers is #331 (omits Wildflowers and Full Moon Fever) but without Heartbreakers is #202 (591, 731, 1117, 2150; Full Moon Fever, Damn the Torpedos, Wildflowers, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ('76 s/t))
    CCR - #127 (223 - 1261 Bayou Country, evenly spaced)
    Jimi - #23 (Band of Gypsies is #907 but other 3 are highly ranked) {ed note: agree with NTL - you add Jimi bc you can always find a 4th album if you really need to, everything dude touched was gold}
    Pavement - #97 (170, 192, 747, 1544)
    Velvet U - #9 (11, 102, 145, 247 ; VU & Nico, s/t, White Light, Loaded) {ed note: seems high but I won't complain too hard}
    Rush - #70 (128 - 622)
    Eagles - #200 (262 for Hotel CA, then everything else is #2000 or something wtf, fine you Arcane Fir turds)

Just for shits and grins I check on Jimmy Buffett's ranking. #3000+ artist. Yeah right assbiters. That is flat incorrect, his early/mid 70's stuff was so on-point, three of those albums absolutely went yard (A1A, 3/4 time, Changes in Attitudes).

Anyways, back to the broadcast.

Talking Heads - #26 (30, 291, 440, 450 ; they have 6 albums in top 1000)
    Black Crowes - #486 (1270, 1403, 3507, 9482 ; 3d was Amor, 4th was 3 Snakes) {ed note: I'm kinda pissed at this aggegator right now so would not be surprised if it's too Anglo-philic or British or some shit}

Yeah, ok, let's see what they say about Allman Bros and Drive By Truckers, out of curiouses

Allman Bros #184
    Drive By Truckers #528

Actually that's probably ok. Ok, carrying on.

Simon & G - #76 (119 - 533)
    Roy Orbison - #851 (2300-5500)
    Jefferson Airplane - #252 (340-3400)
    Metallica - #38 (109-348)

Garth? - lol #2200ish (6000 to 26000) {ed note: Arcade Fire fans must not like Garth Brooks that much}

So the point of the exercise is that they got a lot right when it comes to straight down the line rock, but BEA favors Abe-rock a lot more than it favors Coach-rock or even Hawg-rock. I like the high placement of Pixies and I'm ok with the Velvet U rank, but Arcade Fire so high is just odd to me. But I am me.

Grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Oh here it is Abe, right in your wheel house: A 14 minute “Jimi Thing.” Let’s groove, buddy.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A NINE minute Ants Marching! Where you at, Abe?!

9. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Revisiting Live Trax 1, which I think I own. 14 songs, 2 hours and 22 minutes. Eat your heart out, Abe!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The Beastie Boys began as a punk band. Punk is in their blood. If Garth Brooks "country rock" is allowed to be in the discussion despite evidence that he has even 1 legitimately great album, then I believe the rap rock of the Beastie Boys should also be allowed.

Pandoras Box!
    As i said, let it all in if we are going down that road.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

There are few things in this world I dislike more than hippy jam band shit.

I don't know how you and NTL live with yourselves, but I suppose you deserve to enjoy things too.
    Never really understood the hate Dave Matthews got to be honest. The music was well put together and beautifully written.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

If nothing else the last few hours have given me a lot to rant about on the podcast im making today. Lol

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Tool

Undertow*
    Aenima
    Lateralus
    10,000 Days
    Fear Inoculum

Undertow is their weakest IMO, but still a strong album. Fear Inoculum may yet prove to be my favorite, but its still pretty new. Anyways, a very solid five album stretch
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

So the point of the exercise is that they got a lot right when it comes to straight down the line rock, but BEA favors Abe-rock a lot more than it favors Coach-rock or even Hawg-rock. I like the high placement of Pixies and I'm ok with the Velvet U rank, but Arcade Fire so high is just odd to me. But I am me.

Grain of salt.
    Internet culture makes sites like those havens for the hipster folk who like the great alternative bands in history - Pixies, VU, etc. In general they have all of the good on there IMO.

If we're talking post 00s bands, I think there's a good argument should be in the discussion. There is an argument that Arcade Fire have 4 great albums. Their first 2 for sure hit the mark. I haven't listened to their last two, but both are rated very highly.

19. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

It's rare than an album needs to be longer than 50 minutes. Even rarer that a song needs to be longer than 5.

Take a hike, Dave.

Crash Into Me is the only song I like.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Internet culture makes sites like those havens for the hipster folk who like the great alternative bands in history - Pixies, VU, etc. In general they have all of the good on there IMO.

If we're talking post 00s bands, I think there's a good argument should be in the discussion. There is an argument that Arcade Fire have 4 great albums. Their first 2 for sure hit the mark. I haven't listened to their last two, but both are rated very highly.
    The old joke, I've seen applied at times to both Pixies and VU, is that they didn't sell a ton of albums, but that everyone who bought one started a band. Except me, because I have no talent of my own

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Here is another old now mostly forgotten band, pretty big in the mid to late 70's. Big enough that when I saw them Thin Lizzie and AC/DC were the opening acts. Big big favorites of mine back then. They also invented the Heavy Metal Umlaut.

Blue Öyster Cult

Blue Oyster Cult
    Tyranny and Mutation
    Secret Treaties
    Agents of Fortune

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Posting this mainly for Dread since the topic of the Pixies came up in this discussion. I fell in love with Spotlights album Love and Decay a year or so ago and the have done some interesting covers including a recent Radiohead cover. Now they are covering the Pixies so figured i would pass it along to you all. Its a free track for download should you all enjoy it.

https://spotlights.bandcamp.com/trac...n-pixies-cover

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information