Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Album Bands

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Right, I don't think they're in the same category in terms of popularity and general appeal as Beatles, RS, LZ, Who, etc.

If we let Pixies in we open the door to a whole host of other critically acclaimed but only moderately popular bands. Which is totally fine with me, because I think there are a lot of great bands apart from the Big 5 or so that I might not know much about who actually had good albums.
    It amounts to one's perception of 'popular' and who the cohort of notional voters are. We have no measureable standard.

Yeah, I'm fine taking Pixies off the list for now, in fact it might be correct since the goal is greater exclusivity and elite-ness rather than less. But with all of these bands (even VH and Pavement, etc.) there should be some kind of HOF nomination and stump speech aspect to it, because the goal is to find good music, not be critics and elitists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Hit me with objective criteria.
    Pixies dont belong anywhere near that list.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

How about this website?

Maybe a top 2000 album or better?

For example, this aggregator has Pixies Doolittle as #17 vs. Van Halen II as #2739.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=206

I'm spitballing here.
    As in, the band has to have 4 albums in the top 2000?

I like that better than sales or charts.

Maybe something like 3/4 of the reviews of the album listed on its wikipedia page have to be positive?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Album sales. Chart success.

I know people hate this, but you don’t sell albums if you suck.
    Well no, some people like really bad music no matter how dumbed down it is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    One surprising thing I just learned by looking at a list of the best selling albums of all time is that Meat Loaf has one of the best selling albums of all-time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...selling_albums

But I think that leaves off a lot of great rock bands who weren't as popular as AC/DC.
    The other problem is during the time frame that Hawg has used if you were a band of any kind you were at the mercy of whether or not your shit even made it on the radio. There are many artists that never got radio airplay and were quite good enough to be on the air.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

It amounts to one's perception of 'popular' and who the cohort of notional voters are. We have no measureable standard.

Yeah, I'm fine taking Pixies off the list for now, in fact it might be correct since the goal is greater exclusivity and elite-ness rather than less. But with all of these bands (even VH and Pavement, etc.) there should be some kind of HOF nomination and stump speech aspect to it, because the goal is to find good music, not be critics and elitists.
    I have have no problem saying Pixies are a GOAT band. But it's pandoras box, and then you start talking about Pavement, Radiohead, The Smiths, and other Pitchfork approved hipster bands - which I think deserve to be in the conversation as well.

But I think a secondary list of bands "in the conversation" with 4 good-great albums would be cool too. Just to have for reference, or if you're bored and need an album to listen to but don't know which one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Oh yea but the way i read it Hawg was saying you need at least 4 perfect records so that is what i was applying to my lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If that's the case, then this is going to be a REALLY small list. At least until we understand the definition of "perfect"
    To be clear--I'm trying to be selective here, looking for 'near masterpieces' and the sort. The kind that would make a RS top 500 album list--at least hon mention.

The tricky part is how do you treat a less popular, more niche-appeal band--with strong appeal to some but outright aversion from many? Like the Pixies. Though many dislike Pixies, they have significant sales, influence, and critical applause.

I'm kind of with MO here--the band has to have some minimum sales amount as a threshold test.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Does is have to be only 4 albums?

What about The Hollies?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Pixies dont belong anywhere near that list.
    Near what list?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Does is have to be only 4 albums?

What about The Hollies?
    5 or more is great. One reason I picked "Album Era" is because before the album replaced the single as the dominant commercial unit in the music biz, you'd get a lot of filler--the quest was for radio play and singles. But if the Hollies have 4 or more 'near-masterpiece' albums, rock on.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Simon & Garfunkel / Jefferson Airplane (aka Starship) / CCR (I think someone mentioned them) / Roy Orbison

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The other problem is during the time frame that Hawg has used if you were a band of any kind you were at the mercy of whether or not your shit even made it on the radio. There are many artists that never got radio airplay and were quite good enough to be on the air.
    This is the quandry, because I think we all agree the point of the exercise is to identify albums and bands that might appeal to each other, even though our tastes are different from person to person. To leave out an album that, had it received more commercial and radio attention, would have certainly been in this conversation--we'd like to avoid that.

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

To be clear--I'm trying to be selective here, looking for 'near masterpieces' and the sort. The kind that would make a RS top 500 album list--at least hon mention.

The tricky part is how do you treat a less popular, more niche-appeal band--with strong appeal to some but outright aversion from many? Like the Pixies. Though many dislike Pixies, they have significant sales, influence, and critical applause.

I'm kind of with MO here--the band has to have some minimum sales amount as a threshold test.

The sales are just so misleading though man, it really is. If you have a entertainment group (say MTV, radio, etc) and all they play are same damn songs and records while ignoring a lot of the other great shit that is out there than of course sales for those specific artists will be high. I think that a lot of Taylor Swift stuff is absolute garbage and made for dim people with short attention spans. But to many of those dim witters its the best thing ever but that doesnt mean that its necessarily the greatest just because it happens to sell and gets pushed through the media as such.

I mean shit, i would take Purple Rain and put it up as a winner against anything that Swift has done but that doesnt mean the dim patrol will agree. I think if you are going to try and "gauge" where the mindset of this board is (because i do like the topic and discussion) than you would have to go to that best 500 list and then narrow it down with votes from us to the point where we all agreed on the final 5 or whatever. Im pretty sure even with a top 500 of what is considered the best ever (sales or otherwise) we probably could come to a pretty close conclusion as a collective on what he best 5 would be. At least amongst ourselves here.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

5 or more is great. One reason I picked "Album Era" is because before the album replaced the single as the dominant commercial unit in the music biz, you'd get a lot of filler--the quest was for radio play and singles. But if the Hollies have 4 or more 'near-masterpiece' albums, rock on.
    "near masterpiece" is completely subjective though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

What is a '4 Album Band'?

A band that

1. Released four albums;
    2. During the Album Era (roughly from '65 when LPs displaced singles as the commercial unit until 2000, when Napster came);
    3. Of excellent quality (factors to consider, none exclusive):
    • All killer -- no filler
    • Some amazing songs, or a lot of really good ones
    • Thematic cohesion or artistic integrity
    • Addictive like crack
    • Influential
    • You have listened to the album many, many times--and still hold it in esteem
    • When you add up the 'lifetime enjoyment amount' using enjoyment units, it's a really high number!

4. That has wide appeal among many or most fans of rock generally, even if band isn't your cup of tea

Beatles
    Stones
    Zep
    Floyd
    Who
    Pixies

Any others? Any of these that shouldn't be on the list?

If you count a "live" album for the 4th, then The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Plus his career was cut short for obvious reasons. They would have had more.

20. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information