Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Album Bands

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I think many of the bands on your list - Van Halen, Motley Crew, Alice in Chains, Megadeth - are more popular to most rock fans than Pixies.

Pixies blow them all out of the water, of course....but still.
    Im sure they suck balls but to be honest i never hear them mentioned except by you fanboys on here so that says a lot of how popular they are.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

And per my comment in the other thread, I'm going to lobby for Black Crowes. Shake Your Money Maker, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, Amorica, Warpaint

4. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I like certain tracks off both albums dont think they are great from front to back.
    No, but they do make them technically qualify for the 4 album standard

6. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    No, but they do make them technically qualify for the 4 album standard
    Oh yea but the way i read it Hawg was saying you need at least 4 perfect records so that is what i was applying to my lists.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I don't think that necessarily proves they have a wide appeal among most fans of rock.

They still seem very underrated and not well-known by your average fan of rock music (the people into those consensus bands in the OP at least). They are critics darlings and worshipped in indie/alt circles, and on that basis I would include them, but I'm not sure about the strength of their appeal to most rock fans.
    It said many or most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:

Oh yea but the way i read it Hawg was saying you need at least 4 perfect records so that is what i was applying to my lists.
    If that's the case, then this is going to be a REALLY small list. At least until we understand the definition of "perfect"

10. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The list could be long, lol

1. Van Halen- I, II, Diver Down, 1984, 5150
    2. Ratt- Out of the Cellar, Invasion of Your Privacy, Dancing Undercover, Reach for the Sky
    3. Megadeth- Peace Sells, So Far So Good, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction
    4. Alice in Chains- Facelift, Dirt, Sap, Jar of Flies
    5. Korn- S/t, Life is Peachy, Follow the Leader, Issues
    6. W.A.S.P.- S/T, The Last Command, Inside the Electric Circus, The Headless Children
    7. Napalm Death- Harmony Corruption, Fear Emptiness Despair, Time Waits for No Slave, Apex Predator
    8. Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses, October Rust, World Coming Down, Life is Killing Me

Almost:

Smashing Pumpkins- Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie
    Motley Crue- Too Fast for Love, Shout at the Devil, Dr. Feelgood
    Or short, as in, big nope to all of that.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If that's the case, then this is going to be a REALLY small list. At least until we understand the definition of "perfect"
    You guys are killing me. Alright, I'll strive for a more precise definition that isn't impossible to understand.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

All I know is Dread will be embarrassed to see any sort of hair metal being talked about in the same sentence as the Pixies.

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Hit me with objective criteria.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Unit sales.
    Chart listing.
    Well-regarded lists.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Hit me with objective criteria.
    Album sales. Chart success.

I know people hate this, but you don’t sell albums if you suck.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

18. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    It said many or most.
    Right, I don't think they're in the same category in terms of popularity and general appeal as Beatles, RS, LZ, Who, etc.

If we let Pixies in we open the door to a whole host of other critically acclaimed but only moderately popular bands. Which is totally fine with me, because I think there are a lot of great bands apart from the Big 5 or so that I might not know much about who actually had good albums.

20. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

How about this website?

Maybe a top 2000 album or better?

For example, this aggregator has Pixies Doolittle as #17 vs. Van Halen II as #2739.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=206

I'm spitballing here.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Album sales. Chart success.

I know people hate this, but you don’t sell albums if you suck.
    One surprising thing I just learned by looking at a list of the best selling albums of all time is that Meat Loaf has one of the best selling albums of all-time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...selling_albums

But I think that leaves off a lot of great rock bands who weren't as popular as AC/DC.

23. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information