Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 rock songs, all-time

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Top 5 rock songs, all-time

My dad just asked me this (we are mending fences) and I love questions like this, thought I'd see if anyone else wanted to share their thoughts on it.

The way I see it, there's two approaches:
    1. YOUR favorite rock songs
    2. What you would put on a Voyager spacecraft to share with another sentient lifeform in the category 'top 5 rock songs'

I'm going to go with #2 because my tastes can get out there, but I'm going to use #1 for tiebreaks.

Aite, time to get to it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Popular options:

A Day in the Life
    Purple Haze
    White Rabbit
    The Times They Are A-Changin
    I am a Rock
    For What It's Worth
    Imagine
    I Can See for Miles
    Hey Jude
    Born to be Wild
    I wanna be sedated
    Waterloo Sunset

holy balls, there are like infinity songs.

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-l...ll-time-ranked
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

1. Story of my Life - Social Distortion
    2. Paint It Black - The Stones
    3. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
    4. Bad Moon Rising - CCR
    5. Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistols
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Bad Moon Rising is so underrated, in fact CCR is underrated.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

1. Joe Walsh- The Confessor
    2. Led Zeppelin- Kashmir
    3. Black Mountain- Horns Arising
    4. Billy Thorpe- Children of the Sun
    5. Rush- Tom Sawyer

There are so many more that could easily make this list but off the top of my head.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I read The Stand and the entire time I listened to CCR (Chronicle Vol. 1) on a Discman (yes I'm old) and now those two things are forever linked in my head.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

11. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I thought really hard about putting The Clash's version of I fought the Law on my list but the fact that it wasn't an original for them gave Anarchy in the UK the edge.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Yeah, so this #2 option--be objective send it into space because elsid's aliens are judging you--it's impossible. There is no consensus. I'm too close for missiles, switching to guns.

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I read The Stand and the entire time I listened to CCR (Chronicle Vol. 1) on a Discman (yes I'm old) and now those two things are forever linked in my head.
    I have similar memories...rad stuff.

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Voodoo Chile
    Gimme Shelter
    Won't Get Fooled Again
    When the Levee Breaks
    Light My Fire

hon mention:

Blue Sky - Allman Bros
    Fortunate Son - CCR
    Tom Sawyer - Rush
    Superunknown - Soundgarden
    Frizzle Fry - Primus
    River Euphrates - Pixies
    Roulette Dares - Mars Volta
    Zombie Queen - Ghost
    Teeth Like God's Shoeshine - Modest Mouse

18. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah, so this #2 option--be objective send it into space because elsid's aliens are judging you--it's impossible. There is no consensus. I'm too close for missiles, switching to guns.
    My list is kind of a combination of option #1 &2.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

20. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I'm definitely overanalyzing what makes a rock song a rock song. But it's a good way to narrow down an entire genre full of good shit. So to me, a rock song has an infectious energy to it, sort of an attitude that is hard to explain. It just makes you go "**** yeah this is badass and i'm pumped up." And if it was kindof a subgenre - like pop rock or folk rock or country rock or punk rock or something like that - I left it off. Tried to go with 5 straight up, punch you in the mouth rock songs.

So these are I guess my 5 favorite songs that I personally feel epitomize everything about rock music, not in any order:

1. The Beatles - Revolution
    2. The Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man
    3. Tom Petty - American Girl
    4. The Who - My Generation
    5. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

22. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    So to me, a rock song has an infectious energy to it, sort of an attitude that is hard to explain. It just makes you go "**** yeah this is badass and i'm pumped up."
    I got to that point as well, but I still found myself wanting to consider the progeny of Robert Johnson's Walkin Blues. You know, those rocks songs about when you are less pumped and more agitated or moody. I think they too are rock songs.

But it's a fine distinction and worth the footnote. I leaned toward the type you describe.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I got to that point as well, but I still found myself wanting to consider the progeny of Robert Johnson's Walkin Blues. You know, those rocks songs about when you are less pumped and more agitated or moody. I think they too are rock songs.

But it's a fine distinction and worth the footnote. I leaned toward the type you describe.
    True. I just needed a way to distinguish in my head or else I would've gone crazy. It's my own personal opinionated list on what rock and roll means to me, damnit!!!

I think it's harder to do a top 5 rock songs list than a 5 favorite songs of all time list.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don’t even know where to start. Other than to say, I hope I’m not on that Voyager Cruise?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

26. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information