Poll: What Grade Do You Give This Draft?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What Grade Do You Give This Draft?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Yeah Fort. I'd love to have him on the ps or even instead if Butt
    I think he well on his way to making the team when he got hurt. He was hurt in the preseason right? Anyway I'm with you on this, I would like the see him make the team or at the very least be on the p.s.

2. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of y'all are making excuses for the continued existence of Garrett Bolles on this team. Either you ignore the situation at T entirely, or pretend that somehow it won't be that bad.

There are no excuses for the continued existence of Garrett Bolles on this team. It will be just as bad as it was last year.
    It doesn't sound like that to me at all.

Adopted Bronco:

Trent Williams. The 49ers gave up a 3rd and a 5th for him. That was "too much" for John Elway.

And they could also have traded up two spots for a 4th rounder or 4th and 5th or something, and taken Tristan Wirf. They could have gotten two T's to replace both Bolles and James. If they only did ONE of these things, it would be an improvement.

But, they did nothing.

And they did nothing not because they couldn't do anything, but because John Elway STILL doesn't want to admit that Bolles is a flat bust; that in 2016 he drafted Paxton Lynch and in 2017 Garrett Bolles and both were worse than useless. These picks set the team back for years.
    It is an absolute assumption that they could have "easily" traded up to draft a tackle. Browns and Jets were taking OL as long as it landed there and TB traded up to get one by giving up a 4th. If we call SF on that deal...it becomes an overpriced bidding war. For any of the others, we'd have had to move up to 9 or earlier and the price would have been crazy.

The Trent Williams deal was doable, but by not getting involved, it says they don't want to shell out the 20m deal that Williams is going to command and so, we are giving Bolles another year. It is what it is. Maybe he continues the development he showed the 2nd half of last season...maybe he doesn't. Maybe James has another good even numbered year...maybe he doesn't. But you can't completely rebuild a 7-9 team in one off-season.

I make myself feel better about it by looking at what a lesser talented Daniel Jones did in Shurmur's system behind a worse line with lesser receivers.

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    It is an absolute assumption that they could have "easily" traded up to draft a tackle. Browns and Jets were taking OL as long as it landed there and TB traded up to get one by giving up a 4th. If we call SF on that deal...it becomes an overpriced bidding war. For any of the others, we'd have had to move up to 9 or earlier and the price would have been crazy.

The Trent Williams deal was doable, but by not getting involved, it says they don't want to shell out the 20m deal that Williams is going to command and so, we are giving Bolles another year. It is what it is. Maybe he continues the development he showed the 2nd half of last season...maybe he doesn't. Maybe James has another good even numbered year...maybe he doesn't. But you can't completely rebuild a 7-9 team in one off-season.

I make myself feel better about it by looking at what a lesser talented Daniel Jones did in Shurmur's system behind a worse line with lesser receivers.
    You do realize all this happens in a vacuum right? Denver should have been the one to make that call and if had the 49ers wouldn't have put in a bid. Hey it's not like Joe Staley just retired.

7. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I think people should be happy that Bolles is still there. We won’t have to decide on a new punching bag this year.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I swear Cugel is DMac.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

It's seems pretty clear to me Bolles' play noticeably improved when Denver made the switched quarterbacks. I just watch games and read up some stats here and there. I don't get sits in Elway's office and talk with him like some fans do nor do I sit at the feet of some of talking heads some do.

13. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I swear Cugel is DMac.
    Identical twin brother.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    You do realize all this happens in a vacuum right? Denver should have been the one to make that call and if had the 49ers wouldn't have put in a bid. Hey it's not like Joe Staley just retired.
    Which again would have been a bidding war. SF obviously knew Staley was going to retire and thus the need for a LT. If Denver trumps them, it keeps going and in e end...drives up Williams value as well. Now, SF can't lowball him and will have to give him 20m per year on an extension.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Which again would have been a bidding war. SF obviously knew Staley was going to retire and thus the need for a LT. If Denver trumps them, it keeps going and in e end...drives up Williams value as well. Now, SF can't lowball him and will have to give him 20m per year on an extension.
    Exactly. Imo the offensive line that we had Super Bowl 50 was far worse than the one we have right now. It may have even improved with additions of Muti and Cush.

17. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

The one I'm excited to see if he pans out is the lineman taken late. From everything I've seen, he would have gone 1st or 2nd if not for injury. It will be interesting to see if he can get back to that top grading.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Trent Williams. The 49ers gave up a 5th round pick this year, and a 3rd in 2021. That was "too much" for John Elway.

You can see his point: Denver got SO VERY MUCH use out of it's last three 3rd round picks: DT Dre'Mont Jones, Royce Freeman and Isaac Yiadom! So, they really needed to hold onto those picks with claws of steel!

And they could also have traded up two spots for a 4th rounder or 4th and 5th or something, and taken Tristan Wirfs. They could have gotten two T's to replace both Bolles and James. If they only did ONE of these things, it would be an improvement.

But, they did nothing.

And they did nothing not because they couldn't do anything, but because John Elway STILL doesn't want to admit that Bolles is a flat bust; that in 2016 he drafted Paxton Lynch and in 2017 Garrett Bolles and both were worse than useless. These picks set the team back for years.
    You're two major factors. First Trent has averaged 12 games played per season over his career. . Hasn't played more than 14 games since 2014. And 16 only twice in his career. Secondly he wants to paid as the top tackle in the game. That's a 20 million per year hit. So I can see why John is leery. If you need another tackle then Jason Peters still grades out well and would be much cheaper

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    The one I'm excited to see if he pans out is the lineman taken late. From everything I've seen, he would have gone 1st or 2nd if not for injury. It will be interesting to see if he can get back to that top grading.
    He's a beast Gem and they say his feet are good enough to play tackle in a pinch. Love the versatility of our linemen. Risner could play any position other than LT if neededm. Wilkenson can play multiple Cush has position flexibility although he was strictly a center at lsu. And Glasgow is a guard center

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    He's a beast Gem and they say his feet are good enough to play tackle in a pinch. Love the versatility of our linemen. Risner could play any position other than LT if neededm. Wilkenson can play multiple Cush has position flexibility although he was strictly a center at lsu. And Glasgow is a guard center
    I know some are still really down on the line, but I'm actually excited to see how this now plays out. I'm going to fake some excitement on Bolles finally getting his shit together. I think the speedy guys will help and I think Lock himself has already shown to help him out. Now if he can get his own head around moving people instead of tackling people, we'd be ok.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Me too. Also, if he does, they could swing Risner out to tackle.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information