Poll: What Grade Do You Give This Draft?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What Grade Do You Give This Draft?

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I am not a big draft guy but even I raised an eyebrow by taking two WR back to back. I don't feel like we "reached" on anyone, but I do think we left good players on the table in the second round but if the offense is back to above average levels in a few seasons no one will remember that. I like that we used our picks and didn't seem desperate, but we almost seemed too relaxed? Not sure if that makes sense.

Jeudy falling in our laps was a highlight and that bumps them up to a B for me.

Though I hope this strategy pays off...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9nrpsi1fzzu41.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	16716

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I am not a big draft guy but even I raised an eyebrow by taking two WR back to back. I don't feel like we "reached" on anyone, but I do think we left good players on the table in the second round but if the offense is back to above average levels in a few seasons no one will remember that. I like that we used our picks and didn't seem desperate, but we almost seemed too relaxed? Not sure if that makes sense.

Jeudy falling in our laps was a highlight and that bumps them up to a B for me.

Though I hope this strategy pays off...

Name:	9nrpsi1fzzu41.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	16716
    Makes total sense.

At first when I heard Hamlers name, I was caught off guard. I thought there was a good chance they double dip at WR in the top 5 picks but both the first and second round?

But after thinking about it, it makes a ton of sense. This guy stresses the defense.

I also love that Vic stated, yes, Im a defensive coach, but my philosophy on offense is to score. LOVE itl
    IN PATON I TRUST.

6. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I love Jeudy and Cushenberry picks.

Another TE I didn't think was needed.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Hamler is fast and could potentially immediately slot in at slot and cause headaches when on the field with Sutton and Jeudy.

Ojemudia -- not sure. Apparently has the physical tools, but consider just a zone guy now, but with Fangio running to deep safeties a lot, that might be just fine. We needed help at CB, many didn't have him as the top CB available when Broncos took him.

Cushenberry - many had him as the best center in the class, and he should immediately step in to start. Appears to be a physical run blocker, and adequate pass blocker (might need improvement here).

Agim -- great pass rusher, who just moved to DT so was still learning, and on a Razorback team with few other studs on the line and often playing from behind. Should be immediate rotational interior pass rusher and have time to develop behind a good group of starting linemen.

Okwuegbwhatever (TE) -- Not sure. He was productive with Lock at Missouri. Not sure beyond that.

Strnad -- looks like a very capable tackling and coverage LB, who likely would have gone higher if not for the injury plagued final season. Assuming his bicep injury is healed, he could wind up being one of our stars from this draft in a few years.

Muti -- PFF (yes, I know those three letters will trigger some) had him as their best guard in the draft. His last two seasons ended in injury, but it he gets over the injury bug, he appears to be a great guard prospect and great get in the 6th round.

Cleveland at minimum is a very good special teamer and potential for more. One of the the draft analysts said that he's got all the physical tools to be a very good starting WR, but he's underachieved his whole career. So, the question is whether the Broncos coaches can get him to play at the level of his physical tools. Good flyer, with a high upside, but also a low downside, but in the short term if he makes the roster, he's a very good special teams guy.

Tuszka -- I've only wathed his highlight reel and he seems like a very capable edge rusher. In the 7th round, you aren't looking for much, but if he makes the roster, looks he can be a rotational edge rusher to spell Von and Chubb.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Name:	DE471455-C278-414B-BCAA-E7EAD94236A1.jpg 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	16717
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 8 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I love Jeudy and Cushenberry picks.

Another TE I didn't think was needed.

Something to think about: When Okwuegdunam was with Lock, 1 out of 3 receptions was for a touchdown. Reception, reception, reception for a touchdown. 11 touchdowns in his last year with Lock. Thats great

scoring production. Denver has a slight lead, wants to run the ball and take time off the clock but still keep the defense off balance. Albert Okwuegbunam is 6'6" and fast, a huge target. Two TEs set, with

with Fant and Albert O., Sutton Cleveland and Gordon or Lindsey. (I think Cleveland may be targeted as a third TE because of his size.) So when we run the ball, we have three large TEs with Sutton who

is also huge. How will opposing defenses matchup? With a bunch of DBs? I think we blow them off the ball in that situation. If they use too many LBers, these guys will take advantage.

I LOVE this draft and am eager to see what happens.

Hopefully these guys pan out and enable us to run pretty much any offense for any situation.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Cleveland is only 6-2/207, I think he stays at WR and they go with 7 on the final 53.

Tuszka is better than Malik Reed, hopefully this means he’s reduced to ST’s only role ... but Tuszka has short arms, not good for an edge rusher.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I gave it a "B". There's some very good pieces here and better than most Bronco drafts. But there wasn't an OT and they waited too long to address CB.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I gave it a "B". There's some very good pieces here and better than most Bronco drafts. But there wasn't an OT and they waited too long to address CB.
    Whether or not Calahan contributes this year goes a long way to determine whether they waited too long for a CB.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Here's my thing. Hamler could very well be as fast as ruggs. So almost like last year when we chose not to overdraft lock at 10. same thing. We ended up getting hands down the best technician at the wide receiver position in this draft, and then got someone comprable to the guy that everybody was pushing to draft in the first. And honestly again for this team weapons I think were a bigger need then corner. Poet likes to downplay his draft knowledge but he's done a great job of explaining the system that fangio runs. We like big athletic zone corners. Those guys were had in the third and fourth round. It's why I've gone back on being so critical of the Bouye trade.I was obviously on record as being a huge fan of drafting a tackle in the first but I didn't want to have to give up draft capital to do it.

When that option was off the board there was no one to pick but Jerry. almost universally other than Mel kiper all the draft guys are giving this draft high grades. PFF rated us as the best draft in 2020. Chad Reuters gave us A's on all three days of the draft. if we find a way to sign Jason Peters then I will say that this offseason has been a complete success.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dennis Smith #49

While i was surprised at the Hamler pick, it does make sense in that there was a run on 2nd tier of receivers in the 2nd round and Hamler was the slot/speed guy they wanted (second to Ruggs at that skill set). After having no depth at WR, after this draft, we have good depth with multiple skill sets that each of our WR can provide, we will see what Pat will be able to do with them.

CB's that Fangio wants in his scheme have to have a particular skill set and Ojemudia has that. He may not be as highly ranked as some mock drafts as the others that were picked after him, but Fangio felt he can be coached up to fit his scheme.

TE was a need for us, just due to the health and lack of depth after Fant. All of the current TE after Fant are just meh and are just roster bodies and can't be counted on to be there. Getting a TE in the draft that has some speed and a familiarity with our QB is a +.

Cush is just a dream to get him with our 2nd pick of the 3rd round. Our interior line is looking like the best in the NFL at this point, lets hope they gel quickly.
    The rest of the picks are swing and miss prospects and that's fine for the later rounds of the draft.

The only issue is with the Tackle position, but after looking over the draft, it looks like the way the board fell that the Tackles available were not all that impressive.
    I give our draft a B+ just due to the picks we made and the fact that we didn't have to make any trades to move up to get what we wanted.
    Last edited by D1g1tal j1m; 04-26-2020 at 05:44 PM.
    A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.
    Oliver Herford

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived D1g1tal j1m For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Here's my thing. Hamler could very well be as fast as ruggs. So almost like last year when we chose not to overdraft lock at 10. same thing. We ended up getting hands down the best technician at the wide receiver position in this draft, and then got someone comprable to the guy that everybody was pushing to draft in the first. And honestly again for this team weapons I think were a bigger need then corner. Poet likes to downplay his draft knowledge but he's done a great job of explaining the system that fangio runs. We like big athletic zone corners. Those guys were had in the third and fourth round. It's why I've gone back on being so critical of the Bouye trade.I was obviously on record as being a huge fan of drafting a tackle in the first but I didn't want to have to give up draft capital to do it.

When that option was off the board there was no one to pick but Jerry. almost universally other than Mel kiper all the draft guys are giving this draft high grades. PFF rated us as the best draft in 2020. Chad Reuters gave us A's on all three days of the draft. if we find a way to sign Jason Peters then I will say that this offseason has been a complete success.
    Jason Peters, do it!
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I give it a solid B.

I give Elway a "C". They desperately needed to draft TWO OTs in this draft to replace both Bolles and James next season. The logical thing to do, and what everybody thought they should do, and would do, was trade up to #13 with the 49ers and take Iowa T Tristan Wirf.

Instead it was the Bucs who did that. They want to protect Tom Brady and shore up their offense in hopes of winning the Super Bowl this year. They needed help at LT and they got a plug and start guy who should be in the lineup game 1.

"Gee," I thought, "maybe the Broncos shoulda done something like that?"

See, Drew Lock isn't Peyton Manning. Manning was so knowledgeable that he was the least blitzed QB in football. He loved the blitz, because he almost always saw it coming and knew where to go with the ball. He would make them pay.

And if you have that kind of quick release ability, then you can make up for a crappy OL. Peyton did that his entire career. Neither Indy nor Denver ever bothered to get really GOOD OL to put in front of Manning his 4 years here.

Ryan Clady tore up his knee and the Broncos haven't had a franchise LT since then. It's been 2013 LT Chris Clark; 2014 the ghost of Ryan Clady's knee; 2015 Michael Schofield; 2016 Russell Okung; 2017-2019 Garrett Bolles.

In consequence the OL has been pretty much hot garbage from 2013 till 2019; and now it's not going to get much better.

They shored up the interior of the line at G and C, but have 2 gaping holes at the T's. No help in FA. OK, there's still the draft. No help in the draft.

Elway is just stubbornly refusing to admit that Bolles is a bust. He's giving him 1 more year to prove himself after 3 years of failure. As if he's suddenly going to finally get it. They tried that last year with Mike Munchak.

Best OL coach in football was brought in to tutor Garrett Freakin' Bolles. And it didn't work. He still led the league in holding calls. Again.

It just killed any chances the Broncos had to win several games, killing key drives and setting them back. Their offense wasn't strong enough to overcome a 10 yard holding penalty over and over.

And yet, the ******* is still here. He's still going to start again next year. And you do all know, right? that he's not really going to get any better.

They were covering him up as much as possible last year -- eliminating any play where they had to hold up the pass rush for too long. And they slid the protection his way on practically every play and gave him maximum blocking help to prevent him from just being totally overwhelmed out there.

It really limited what they could do offensively, one reason they scored so few points.
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-26-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information