Poll: What Grade Do You Give This Draft?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What Grade Do You Give This Draft?

Trent wanted to play for San Fran, Washington took less compensation to get him to the team he wanted to play for. Remember Trent already had a relationship with the Shanahans as Mike drafted him in 2010. Trent was never going to come here, that’s the reality.

2. The Following User High Fived Tangerine For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Draft strengths:

- Weapons. Jeudy is an All-Pro talent, IMO. I can't say enough about how much I love that dude as a weapon. He's an OBJ-type talent, and I thought he was the best receiver in a deep draft. His ability to do everything as a WR will really help Denver. Hamler was not a pick I would have made at that spot, nor Albert O honestly, but Denver will have a world of speed out there now. And look: on the Hamler pick, Denver scouted him on tape when they drafted DaeSean, Azzanni the WR coach recruited Hamler... they are VERY familiar with him. Everywhere Lock can throw a football - which is basically anywhere - there is now a receiver who can run under it or jump over others to get it. If Lock has to buy time with his feet, there are a host of options that can get open. Sometimes there's such a thing as an embarrassment of riches, and I don't know how much better Denver's offense is will all these weapons than it would have been with one or two fewer, but now Denver doesn't need everyone to work out. If they do, fine. If not, they have enough shots at getting it right to make sure Lock is never short of weapons again.

- Trench warfare. Muti is a run-block monster. He can play a swing tackle in an emergency. If his ankles and feet are good now, his pass pro can only get better and his physical tools are unmatched. On the other side, Agim is a pass-rushing beast who needs to learn to anchor against the run as a DE moving to DT. I said it before, but he reminds me of Malik Jackson and his path. They're two MAJOR upside swings, and if either works out it's a Pro Bowl player. Forget just being a rotational player. And then you have Cushenberry, who isn't the most agile center on the board but has great leadership, long arms to latch onto those DTs and get under their pads, and in a straight-up battle he's a tough guy to get past. He'll be even better next to Risner and Glasgow because his blocking scheme at LSU was good for highlighting weaknesses rather than pro strengths. Derrek Tuszka was the throw-in, their shot at Jared Allen: athletic, tall, unfortunately short arms, a pass rusher who needs to show he can do more than one thing from one position. If he can, and his athleticism can overcome his reach disadvantage then look out. It's possible that we're looking back at this draft as a core line draft, which is scary considering all the weapons they also picked.

Denver picked leaders, they grabbed measurable dudes, they grabbed intangibles and scheme-fits and starters and projects. What they didn't grab were a bunch of limited-upside players.

It was a true smorgasbord across the three days. I never expected Denver to take all the picks. I thought for sure they'd consolidate. I prefer this - if half these guys become contributors it's an outstanding draft, and ALL of them have a path to success. Even Cleveland can be a special teams gunner, and like David Bruton they can get several years out of him in that role while he works to be a rotation receiver too. Just a lot of options out there for Denver to carve a successful path with this draft.

Draft Weaknesses:

- No tackle. This is complicated by the fact that it was a weak tackle year. The tackle Denver could have moved up for, Wirfs, is a RT in my estimation. You could have tried to make him a LT, but he could just as easily have to slide in to guard. Bolles is better when his QB isn't a calcified statue, but it's still not a position of strength for Denver. They could have taken a developmental OT later as well, even in the 7th round, and chose not to. Sometimes the evaluations just aren't there. There isn't a single tackle at a position Denver drafted at that I felt was a tackle they HAD to have, or was the BPA. They're gonna have to get one next year, but it can't be helped. There are 20 other positions to deal with and Denver addressed them, some more than once. Also, there's this:

- defensive backs. Denver only took one real DB in the draft, and he was an overdraft IMO. That doesn't mean Ojemudia was the wrong pick. He's a height/weight/speed guy who fits what Fangio wants to do. Success is right there for him to grab, and this really is a coaching call. I thought there were better all-around options, but it's not my evaluation that matters. Ojemudia can work out spectacularly, and everything people say about him suggests he's gonna work night and day to make that happen.

- Double trouble. The Broncos took a huuuge talent in Jeudy... and then doubled up the next round with a super-fast slot receiver in Hamler. They have one athletic freak at TE who has some deficiencies in other areas... and took his slightly rougher clone. It's not what I would have done, but they are making extra sure their weapons don't fail. If a TE gets injured, the same mismatch is still available. And considering the TE injury woes they've had it makes some sense. I don't know how they'll use all the weapons, but they have them now.

Draft Grade: A-. There are players I don't like as much as they did, but I don't feel about those players the way I did about Brendan Langley or Michael Schofield. You wanna grab a Julius Thomas clone in the 4th? Okay. Day 3 is the day for that. Take a weirdly-shaped pass rusher with spectacular numbers at the end of the draft? It's not like that ever worked out for Denver before with Elvis in the 4th either. A system corner in the third, a weird pass-coverage hybrid LB/S in the 5th... these are all picks that CAN work, and work out with a reasonably high ceiling.

But they're added on top of your more secure picks. Jeudy should be a Day 1 starter, got him in the first. Hamler should be a day 1 slot guy, got him in the second. Cushenberry should be a Day 1 starter at center, got him in the third. Throwing Muti, a future 4th starter if his lower body holds up to him bench-pressing Buicks and it could be an obscenely loaded draft.

Best drafts usually get rated by "Did you get your QBOTF?" so in that sense, this isn't that draft. No QB, no main edge rusher, no left tackle. This was an Everything Else draft, and for that? I have some quibbles, but I'm happy to let them show me that this is a massive upgrade of all the other positions a team needs to win in today's NFL.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

4. The Following 10 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

TLR version: I felt generous because going back over all these players made me more interested in them rather than angry as I have been in past drafts at some wasted picks. Your mileage may vary, but I don't understand how a draft with between 3 and 5 year one rotational player or starters can be considered awful by any means. If the risky picks fail it's still a decent draft - and the UDFA class isn't especially slouchy either. I expect Denver added at least another rostered player from that group too.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Me too. Also, if he does, they could swing Risner out to tackle.
    I do not want Risner to kick out. Keep players where they are good.

8. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Sports Illustrated: Broncos' 2020 Draft Grades Surprisingly Strong from National Perspective.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...al-perspective

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Trent wanted to play for San Fran, Washington took less compensation to get him to the team he wanted to play for. Remember Trent already had a relationship with the Shanahans as Mike drafted him in 2010. Trent was never going to come here, that’s the reality.
    Mike Hawk sighting!

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I loved this draft.

My favorite pick was Cush, he will be a stalwart on our OL for no less than a decade. Dude is a great player and I love his attitude.

Obviously excited to see what Jeudy can do. His skill is impressive and should scare the hell out of defenses.

I'm intrigued by the guys who I admittedly knew nothing about a week ago: Muti, Ojemudia, Albert O and Tuska especially.

I'll root like Hell for Hamler and he seems like a great kid, loved the clip of his parents. With that said, I would have loved an OT in that spot, but I'm also not the most knowledgeable draft guy so my want for a certain position at that spot maybe didn't fit what was available at all. I hope Hamler makes me forget all about how shitty our moronic LT is.

I also saw a couple of different places that rated Essang Bassey as the best UDFA available and we signed him, so that's cool.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    TLR version: I felt generous because going back over all these players made me more interested in them rather than angry as I have been in past drafts at some wasted picks. Your mileage may vary, but I don't understand how a draft with between 3 and 5 year one rotational player or starters can be considered awful by any means. If the risky picks fail it's still a decent draft - and the UDFA class isn't especially slouchy either. I expect Denver added at least another rostered player from that group too.
    I did read it. Nice write up as always. I also am very surprised that Elway drafted with every pick. I was sure he would either move up/back, or convert some of those picks, like one of the 3rd rounders, into future picks, which has been his MO up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I do not want Risner to kick out. Keep players where they are good.
    Agreed in general, but Muti looks like he can be a beast inside, and if the tackles we currently have don't work out, I would prefer to have our five best linemen on the field, rather than one of them sitting waiting for someone ahead of them to get hurt. Again, that is only even an option if Muti is both healthy and starter ready (which might not happen by week 1).

16. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Agreed in general, but Muti looks like he can be a beast inside, and if the tackles we currently have don't work out, I would prefer to have our five best linemen on the field, rather than one of them sitting waiting for someone ahead of them to get hurt. Again, that is only even an option if Muti is both healthy and starter ready (which might not happen by week 1).
    Have Muti do tackle then. Train him from the start in that position. Leave Mr. Badass Mofo where he is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

You can usually move a T inside to G easier than a G playing T is a much more difficult transition
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

19. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Have Muti do tackle then. Train him from the start in that position. Leave Mr. Badass Mofo where he is.
    I'm not advocating for moving Risner anywhere, but I think I can say with 100% certainty, that Muti will NEVER be a tackle in the NFL. If we do ever see him there...we have bigger problems.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I loved this draft.

My favorite pick was Cush, he will be a stalwart on our OL for no less than a decade. Dude is a great player and I love his attitude.

Obviously excited to see what Jeudy can do. His skill is impressive and should scare the hell out of defenses.

I'm intrigued by the guys who I admittedly knew nothing about a week ago: Muti, Ojemudia, Albert O and Tuska especially.

I'll root like Hell for Hamler and he seems like a great kid, loved the clip of his parents. With that said, I would have loved an OT in that spot, but I'm also not the most knowledgeable draft guy so my want for a certain position at that spot maybe didn't fit what was available at all. I hope Hamler makes me forget all about how shitty our moronic LT is.

I also saw a couple of different places that rated Essang Bassey as the best UDFA available and we signed him, so that's cool.
    If Jeudy and Hamler both hit, our offense is going to be incredible. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

23. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    If Jeudy and Hamler both hit, our offense is going to be incredible. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
    I said it the other day. The person that has to be the happiest about this draft has to be Pat Shurmur's wife. I guarantee he's rolling with a perma-chub just playing through the possibilities he has right now.

25. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I said it the other day. The person that has to be the happiest about this draft has to be Pat Shurmur's wife. I guarantee he's rolling with a perma-chub just playing through the possibilities he has right now.
    I don't think we've ever had this many dynamic weapons on our offense, even in Peyton's record setting years.

27. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information