Page 140 of 298 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 240 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 4461

Thread: Drew Lock

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

"Momentum" in sports is fake. It's a term that's always completely used in hindsight when a team plays well after a game changing thing happens. It's just as likely the a team doesn't capitalize on said "momentum" from a big play though. This has actually been studied, and there is no data that suggests things like scoring right before the half actually leads to the scoring team playing better in the second half.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    "Momentum" in sports is fake. It's a term that's always completely used in hindsight when a team plays well after a game changing thing happens. It's just as likely the a team doesn't capitalize on said "momentum" from a big play though. This has actually been studied, and there is no data that suggests things like scoring right before the half actually leads to the scoring team playing better in the second half.
    There was a sports psychologist who argued that momentum is fake, and if it was 'real' it would only be because people believe in it

I had a friend who got a doctorate in sports psychology who argues/d that it's fake and is only 'useful' as a term to explain to fans what is happening

I hadn't thought about that in years - you took me down ole memory lane!

3. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Momentum is 100% about confidence mixed with superstition. The problem is, sports are typically 90% mental. At the pro level, everyone is a great athlete. As soon as you believe you’re playing better, or you believe you caught a break, or believe that an unlucky bounce or bad call went against you, your confidence can shift one way or another. Momentum may be “fake” but too many of us have seen too many times that the psychological effect of a turnover, or big time score, or well timed sack, etc can immediately shift the confidence of teams. Personally I believe in momentum or whatever you want to call it, and more importantly, so do the players and coaches or they wouldn’t talk about it so much. Those who try to disprove it or it’s affects are those who never really played a competitive sport methinks…

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

You’re fake!
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

7. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Momentum is 100% about confidence mixed with superstition. The problem is, sports are typically 90% mental. At the pro level, everyone is a great athlete. As soon as you believe you’re playing better, or you believe you caught a break, or believe that an unlucky bounce or bad call went against you, your confidence can shift one way or another. Momentum may be “fake” but too many of us have seen too many times that the psychological effect of a turnover, or big time score, or well timed sack, etc can immediately shift the confidence of teams. Personally I believe in momentum or whatever you want to call it, and more importantly, so do the players and coaches or they wouldn’t talk about it so much. Those who try to disprove it or it’s affects are those who never really played a competitive sport methinks…
    It's selection bias. Players remember the times they had "momentum" but not the times they made a big play then gave it right back. I won't argue that making a big play gives a player or team more confidence, but on the other hand it gives the other team more of a sense of urgency. Like you said, these guys are all top professionals. You don't usually make it this far in sports by losing confidence or playing worse after something goes bad for you. Maybe that's more of a thing in high school or lower level college sports, but there's just no such thing as "momentum" in pro sports.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Do the players have advanced degrees that require research and peer review, while also having to prove how the brain functions?

10. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Momentum is real.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Do the players have advanced degrees that require research and peer review, while also having to prove how the brain functions?
    Players are very often the worst source to describe things that happen in games. Just look at how many ex players are awful analysts.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

I don’t know if momentum is real or fake but as a person who plays basketball I’ve legit been on runs where I couldn’t miss! Like my confidence was through the roof. I couldn’t be stopped! One would say I had the momentum. Right?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

That would say you were in a flow state

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    That would say you were in a flow state
    I’m just glad we can all agree that Rey is the greatest character in SW history … probably in cinematic history.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

19. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I’m just glad we can all agree that Rey is the greatest character in SW history … probably in cinematic history.
    One day, you will succeed in giving me an aneurysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Can King have your watch, when that happens?
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information