Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More playoff teams expected under new NFL CBA, sources say

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default More playoff teams expected under new NFL CBA, sources say

If and when a transformational collective bargaining agreement is finalized -- and there is now mounting optimism it could be done sometime in the next week -- it is expected to change the NFL's playoff structure as it is currently constituted for next season, league sources told ESPN.

Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams from each conference, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team and the preseason shortened to three games per team, sources said.

As part of the proposed playoff format, only one team from each conference would receive a first-round bye as opposed to the two that currently do, league sources said. That would mean a revised postseason schedule that includes six games on wild-card weekend, with three on Saturday and three on Sunday.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ba-sources-say

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I think I like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Now if only they'd also make it the 7 teams with the best records, instead of division champs with 8-8 records. Although, hopefully adding another team will take care of the 10 win teams that can sometimes get screwed by the current format.

Beyond that, I like it. The playoffs have nothing to do with who the best team is and are all about who is "hot" at the moment...so why not add an additional element to that.

6. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I don't like elimination of the 2 seed
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Not sure how i feel about this. Seems like it could really water down the competition going into the postseason. But i find im more and more siding with Wave (and Coach) that it should just be the 6 best teams in each conference. Extending the regular season and playoffs only adds more to the safety hazards the players have been complaining about for a while now.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

The Owners have already accepted the new CBA.

Great news, and I love a 14 team playoff scenario.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I am not thrilled with a 17-week season to replace the 16-week one. The 16-week opponents were easy to pre-determine and insured everything was fair. I can already hear the whining that some teams have eight home games and some have nine.

If they were smart (remember, this is Goodell), they would force every team to have one international game on the schedule where they are neither home nor road. I could envision eight games in London, two in Mexico City, one it Toronto (not the Bills), one in Vancouver (not the Seahawks), one in Berlin, one in Madrid, one in Japan and one in Australia. That would mean everyone gets eight home dates. The trouble, of course, would be determining opponents.

They could make the 17th game an interconference game for the next division over from the one they are scheduled for. Example:

AFC East plays NFC East
    AFC North plays NFC North
    AFC South plays NFC South
    AFC West plays NFC West

so the first place team in the AFC East adds an international game against the first place team in the NFC North on top of their four games against the NFC East.
    the first place team in the AFC North adds an international game against the first place team in the NFC South on top of their four games against the NFC North, etc. etc. etc.
    This way you have 1s vs 1s, 2s vs 2s, 3s vs 3s and 4s vs 4s, which means there will be some great matchups (and some stinky ones) but still it will be balanced and fair.
    Last edited by OrangeHoof; 02-20-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

12. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The bigger deal here is the 17 games with an uneven amount of home and roads. That’s a much bigger deal than the playoff change, in my opinion. Anyone know the leaguewide home-road win loss record? If that’s close to even, then there’s no real issue, but anecdotally, home games mean something.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The bigger deal here is the 17 games with an uneven amount of home and roads. That’s a much bigger deal than the playoff change, in my opinion. Anyone know the leaguewide home-road win loss record? If that’s close to even, then there’s no real issue, but anecdotally, home games mean something.
    One game at a neutral site?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I think the idea is that every team plays one international game.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think the idea is that every team plays one international game.
    That makes good sense. I think it’s good for the league. Not sure the players will like it, though.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Around the NFL podcast talking about it tonight. The other option from neutral sites could be alternating NFC and AFC every other year so the conference all has the same number of road and home.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default NFL Owners Approve Principal Terms of New CBA, Now Players Must Vote

NEW YORK—NFL team owners briskly left a hotel in downtown Manhattan late Thursday afternoon, having approved the principal terms for a new 10-year collective bargaining agreement with the players. The attention now turns to the NFL Players Association, which will discuss on Friday whether to approve these same terms, negotiated between the NFL and the players union over the past 10 months.

The vote to approve was not unanimous among the 32 clubs, per a source with knowledge of the results. Notable changes among the terms voted upon include expanding the playoff field to include one extra team from each conference, for a total of 14 teams in the postseason, starting in 2020; a 17-game regular season with three preseason games, which would be instituted no earlier than 2021; and an increased revenue share for the players, up from 47 to 48 percent, or 48.5 percent if they move to the 17-game regular season.
    rest - https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/20/nf...s-will-players

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Wonder if the new CBA allows for more practice time for coaches and rookies? Seemed to hear coaches complaining they weren't allowed enough time for training.

23. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Wonder if the new CBA allows for more practice time for coaches and rookies? Seemed to hear coaches complaining they weren't allowed enough time for training.
    I certainly hope so. It's stupid how it is now.

25. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information