Thread: Sources: Broncos, Rams cutting scouting combine attendance

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Sources: Broncos, Rams cutting scouting combine attendance

In what could portend as a wave of the future, the Broncos are not sending their assistant coaches to the scouting combine in Indianapolis this year because they believe there's a better use of their time watching film back in Denver, league sources told ESPN on Friday.

Additionally, the Rams are not sending their offensive and defensive coordinators, Kevin O'Connell and Brandon Staley, to the combine because they would rather have them in Los Angeles, implementing the team's new offensive and defensive schemes, sources said.

In a copycat league, the Broncos and Rams could be establishing a trend that other teams will follow, leaving back coaches to watch the combine on TV and do their own scouting work in the office.

It is what Broncos head coach Vic Fangio, who will attend this year's combine in person, decided for this combine. He thought there was better use of the assistant coaches' time to study prospects on tape rather than in person.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ine-attendance

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Two of the sharpest franchises around are thinking the same thing. That only bodes well, my boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

3. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Two of the sharpest franchises around are thinking the same thing. That only bodes well, my boys.
    But they aren't doing the same thing. The Rams are installing a news defense and getting new OC up to speed on there offense. Article doesn't say they are not sending their scouts in mass.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:

Mike Klis
    @MikeKlis
    ·
    52m
    Combine has become such a circus with estimated 20,000 fans attending some primetime workouts that Fangio believes assistants more productive working from team’s headquarters.
    Rams McVay also keeping some assistants home. Could be a growing trend. #9sports

Mike Klis
    @MikeKlis
    · 1h
    Broncos source confirms Vic Fangio keeping assistant coaches home for Combine. There will be a Fangio rule assistants can only watch college tape during Combine week. Also thru technology they can catch every workout/interview through computer. #9sports
    Mike Klis
    @MikeKlis
    ·
    56m
    I was told this is not a cost-cutting deal. This was Fangio going to Elway (who makes the cost-cutting decisions) and said this is what he wants to do. Elway listened, Fangio’s pitch made sense and Elway approved. Fangio and Elway will be there all week. #9sports

Mike Klis
    @MikeKlis
    · 1h
    Broncos source confirms Vic Fangio keeping assistant coaches home for Combine. There will be a Fangio rule assistants can only watch college tape during Combine week. Also thru technology they can catch every workout/interview through computer. #9sports

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Its a good call, I would rather shurmur be at home working out who fits where in his scheme and working on that for FA then worry about 40 times at the combine......I also trust Fangio quite a bit, most don't but I do.....Him and Elway and maybe some scouts is all that's needed.....It is such a circus now.....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Interesting
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Its a good call, I would rather shurmur be at home working out who fits where in his scheme and working on that for FA then worry about 40 times at the combine......I also trust Fangio quite a bit, most don't but I do.....Hi m and Elway and maybe some scouts is all that's needed.....It is such a circus now.....
    Interesting take on that too.

I was thiking more along the lines of, letting the coaches and scouts do their jobs. Getting less input from positional guys so we dont draft the Australian Defensive lineman and 3rd rd CBs who switch to wr of the world. Also, if we let coaches go they cannot take to their new team our scouting tid bits.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

11. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Not sure how I feel about this. While I think film work on prospects is more important and that’s what I like, I’m kind of wondering why the head coach and not the head scout would be the person at the combine.

Frankly, too much emphasis is put on the combine, so in theory I don’t think this is bad. But the skeptic in me wonders about this being a money saving cut.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:

Default Vic Fangio sets precedent, leaves assistants home from NFL combine

DENVER -- Early last season, Broncos star Von Miller referred to Vic Fangio as "The Professor." The Broncos coach possesses a high football IQ and is not afraid not to think outside the box when it comes to concepts on and off the field.

So it is, Fangio will set a Broncos precedent next week, leaving his assistant coaches home rather than have them attend the annual NFL combine in Indianapolis, sources confirmed to Denver7. It is a reflection of an evolving industry said those with knowledge behind the thinking. While the combine can serve as a reunion for coaches -- it is a blend of steaks, drinks and charts -- it can be argued a coaching presence is not required beyond the boss. Per sources, Fangio has general manager John Elway's blessings with the change in procedure.

Fangio will stay for the entire week. His assistants will remain at UCHealth Training Center watching video of the players and the interviews of the prospects. The assistants will remain involved in the top 30 visits of prospects to the facility leading up to the April 23-25 draft in Las Vegas.
    rest - https://www.thedenverchannel.com/spo...e-from-combine

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    But they aren't doing the same thing. The Rams are installing a news defense and getting new OC up to speed on there offense. Article doesn't say they are not sending their scouts in mass.
    They are doing the same thing. They are doing different things with the freed up coaching time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

15. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Ryan Harris said combine week is just one huge party for coaches, they get together and get tore up from the floor up.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this. While I think film work on prospects is more important and that’s what I like, I’m kind of wondering why the head coach and not the head scout would be the person at the combine.

Frankly, too much emphasis is put on the combine, so in theory I don’t think this is bad. But the skeptic in me wonders about this being a money saving cut.
    Where are you seeing that scouts/personel guys aren't going?

It sounds like only the assistant coaches are staying behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Where are you seeing that scouts/personel guys aren't going?

It sounds like only the assistant coaches are staying behind?
    I guess I misunderstood. Looks like this only refers to coaches. That’s my bad. And coupled with what Jaded says it makes a lot more sense.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

The best part of this is Bill Kollar can’t fall in love with some 4th-5th rounder in interviews, hopefully that solves the DeMarcus Walker/Adam Gotsis issues.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    They're doing the same thing for different reasons.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information