Poll: Who is our GOAT defensive player?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the greatest Broncos defensive player of all time?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Who is the greatest Broncos defensive player of all time?

With Atwater going in today, I was thinking of where he ranks all time in terms of Broncos defensive players. Feels like we have a pretty clear top 5. What do you guys think?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Man, that is tough.

I love Atwater, my favorite player of all time but I concede that Ronnie Lott and maybe Ed Reed were better overall safeties. Atwater was a beast and I love him so much, but Champ Bailey is the best overall CB that has ever played the game.

Champ was as good in coverage as Deion and one of the best tacklers in the history of the position.

My vote has to go to Champ just because he is the best at his position to ever play and I don't think I can honestly say that about any of the other guys.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

3. The Following 6 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Man, that is tough.

I love Atwater, my favorite player of all time but I concede that Ronnie Lott and maybe Ed Reed were better overall safeties. Atwater was a beast and I love him so much, but Champ Bailey is the best overall CB that has ever played the game.

Champ was as good in coverage as Deion and one of the best tacklers in the history of the position.

My vote has to go to Champ just because he is the best at his position to ever play and I don't think I can honestly say that about any of the other guys.
    Champs peers is Revis and Sherman. Look at their stats and how many more Tackles Champ has as opposed to theirs. He has more than them both combined.

I wish Champ had a Ring!
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Man, that is tough.

I think that's who I'd have to pick as well. If Von keeps at am elite level for another few years I think he could surpass him, but Champ was just so completely dominant.

Von Miller.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think that's who I'd have to pick as well. If Von keeps at am elite level for another few years I think he could surpass him, but Champ was just so completely dominant.
    To me it just boils down to the fact that no one has ever done it as well as Champ. Champs willingness to tackle separates him from alot of the other "shutdown" corners.

But I love Atwater more than any player ever.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

To me it just boils down to the fact that no one has ever done it as well as Champ. Champs willingness to tackle separates him from alot of the other "shutdown" corners.

But I love Atwater more than any player ever.
    For me personally it's neck and neck been Von and Champ, but I admittedly only caught Atwater at the end of his career.

I think ultimately the Von/Champ argument will be similar to Brady/Manning. Von will wind up being a more accomplished Bronco than Champ with his Super Bowl MVP (like Brady with his titles), but Champ was probably the better player, much like Manning in my opinion.

But yeah, I can definitely respect having Atwater right in that class as well. Wish I could have seen more of his career.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

If some of our elder statesmen in here would like to come tell us stories of Meck and Grad I'm all ears.

Joe? Dread? Where are you guys?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I'll take Von.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Karl Mecklenberg was a stalworth of the 80s SB teams. He was never the fastest but had great instincts and was incredibly versatile. One of the few players who played all positions in the front seven.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Champ Bailey’s 2006 was the greatest season a cornerback ever had. But Von Miller put a team on his back and won a Super Bowl. Only two or three players in history did the latter and that accomplishment includes the ring. So I voted Miller.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following 8 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Champ Bailey’s 2006 was the greatest season a cornerback ever had. But Von Miller put a team on his back and won a Super Bowl. Only two or three players in history did the latter and that accomplishment includes the ring. So I voted Miller.
    That’s where I’m coming from. Ive seen a lot of good defensive players, but none in a Broncos uniform who could take over games like that. He’s one of the most dominant players in the history of the game, every bit as dominant as Lawrence Taylor was.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 02-01-2020 at 10:51 PM.

19. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Where are they now: Karl Mecklenburg

http://www.espn.com/abcsports/mnf/s/...cklenburg.html

Karl Mecklenburg Hits Marcus Allen (1984)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zJNqN1QDNA

Karl Mecklenburg First Career Sack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJqbrud-KTg

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    To be fair, it's probably harder for a corner to carry a team to a title. Von's position by nature lets him wreak more havoc on a game. I think what Von did that year will make him the most revered/accomplished Broncos defender ever, but I think I'd still just slightly give Champ the nod in terms of how well he played his particular position. Really is splitting hairs between those two though.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    To be fair, it's probably harder for a corner to carry a team to a title. Von's position by nature lets him wreak more havoc on a game. I think what Von did that year will make him the most revered/accomplished Broncos defender ever, but I think I'd still just slightly give Champ the nod in terms of how well he played his particular position. Really is splitting hairs between those two though.
    Yeah, I don’t disagree. It’s definitely a debate. I’m relatively sure 2006 is the year the receiver he was guarding was thrown at like 15 times and he had 9 interceptions? Someone back those stats up. That’s insane.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

25. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information