Poll: Who is our GOAT defensive player?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who is the greatest Broncos defensive player of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I love Von and if we want to discuss who was the best all-around strong-side 4-3 linebacker in the league then we can do that. But Von has never had as dominant as season as a pass-rusher as champ did as a cornerback.
    I won’t disagree with that. I would still choose Von over Champ.

2. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Champ is the better positional player, but Von is the more impactful player and better physical talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Champ helped the Broncos defeat the Patriots in 2005 when they were at peak power, but Von almost single handedly won us a Super Bowl... but its hard to dismiss how impactful Atwater was in Super Bowl 32 but if we want to say a defensive player won us that it was Mobley on that final 4th and 6. I voted for Champ because he brought us game after game of top notch play for several seasons whereas the others shined in moments, even Super Bowls, but didn't have the longevity that he showed. I'm still pissed that Super Bowl 48 NEVER HAPPENED because it would've been nice to see Champ get his ring. It really is a shame that cancelled that Super Bowl. It was the only one in history that was just never played. Damn shame.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Champ helped the Broncos defeat the Patriots in 2005 when they were at peak power, but Von almost single handedly won us a Super Bowl... but its hard to dismiss how impactful Atwater was in Super Bowl 32 but if we want to say a defensive player won us that it was Mobley on that final 4th and 6. I voted for Champ because he brought us game after game of top notch play for several seasons whereas the others shined in moments, even Super Bowls, but didn't have the longevity that he showed. I'm still pissed that Super Bowl 48 NEVER HAPPENED because it would've been nice to see Champ get his ring. It really is a shame that cancelled that Super Bowl. It was the only one in history that was just never played. Damn shame.
    Well said, Shake.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I’m glad we can all agree that it’s Von Miller.

#Kumbaya
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

9. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

I’m glad we can all agree that it’s Von Miller.

#Kumbaya
    He’s at least one level below Gradishar.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    He’s at least one level below Gradishar.
    Well said, glad it’s unanimous.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Von Miller, Super Bowl MVP. Has as many All Pro selections as Champ already, is an 8x Pro Bowler, will likely surpass Champ's Pro Bowl selections, and would be a first ballot HOF'er if he retired today.

Davii, go ahead and close this one down.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

It’s Simon Flecther’s Birthday today. He was always one of my favorite defensive player.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

It's an opinion piece and each name could be argued but being an old guy and watching every one of these guys play and the consistent impact they had on games I'd have to go with Gradishar or Miller with the slight edge going with Gradishar. Gradishar didn't seem to disappear like Miller does from time to time. Regardless every name on this list absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.

17. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

I still love this thread!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Von Miller, Super Bowl MVP. Has as many All Pro selections as Champ already, is an 8x Pro Bowler, will likely surpass Champ's Pro Bowl selections, and would be a first ballot HOF'er if he retired today.

Davii, go ahead and close this one down.
    I think it's hard to compare Von and Champ due to the nature of their positions. A pass rusher is able to be involved in and wreak havoc on every play. A CB can really only make plays if the ball is thrown his way.

I think Von has made a bigger impact than Champ (largely helped by the nature of his position), but Champ was better and more consistent at his own position.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think it's hard to compare Von and Champ due to the nature of their positions. A pass rusher is able to be involved in and wreak havoc on every play. A CB can really only make plays if the ball is thrown his way.

I think Von has made a bigger impact than Champ (largely helped by the nature of his position), but Champ was better and more consistent at his own position.
    I think Pro Bowls and All Pro selections help measure objectively because they are being compared to other players at their position -- how dominant were they compared to their peers?

So if they are already even in All Pro selections, and will likely be even in Pro Bowl selections by the time Von retires -- then I'm inclined to let the Super Bowl MVP be the tie breaker.

Also, to your point, Von plays a more impactful position so he gets a bit of an edge there too... For all those reasons, Von gets my vote.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I think Pro Bowls and All Pro selections help measure objectively because they are being compared to other players at their position -- how dominant were they compared to their peers?

So if they are already even in All Pro selections, and will likely be even in Pro Bowl selections by the time Von retires -- then I'm inclined to let the Super Bowl MVP be the tie breaker.

Also, to your point, Von plays a more impactful position so he gets a bit of an edge there too... For all those reasons, Von gets my vote.
    That's pretty surprising that Champ only got 8 all pro selections. I wonder if the fact that he just didn't get thrown at and didn't have gaudy starts hurt him there. I'd have to dig in further on that.

Eight is a ton, imo. There's voter fatigue with the same names, unless that name is a huge media darling/big market star.

This is just going off of memory, but I recall during Champ's prime years that a lot of attention shifted to INT's, and you saw some fluctuations in all-pro voting of good corners having career INT years.

24. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information