Poll: Who is our GOAT defensive player?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the greatest Broncos defensive player of all time?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Yeah, I don’t disagree. It’s definitely a debate. I’m relatively sure 2006 is the year the receiver he was guarding was thrown at like 15 times and he had 9 interceptions? Someone back those stats up. That’s insane.
    This is what I found:

https://247sports.com/Board/30/Conte...ason-27336734/

Thrown at: 35 times
    Completions allowed: 4
    Passes defended: 21
    Interceptions: 10 (1 TD)
    Tackles: 98 (84 solo)

Honestly the 4 catches allowed all season might be the most impressive part of that. That's just stupid good.

2. The Following 9 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    This is what I found:

Honestly the 4 catches allowed all season might be the most impressive part of that. That's just stupid good.
    More interceptions than completions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

von is the sentimental pick. . . denver draft pick, played on our most legendary defense, won a ring and a super bowl MVP. . . and he has a much more entertaining, engaging personality. . . champ is the correct pick. . . he did it at the very highest level more consistently, and for a longer period of time. . . von, as amazing as he has been, has only had one season where he was the best pass rusher in the game. . . champ was easily, hands down the very best corner in the game for a good 5-6 years, and is much higher on the all-time list at his position than von. . . champ also did it with much less help-- think what he could have done with wade philips! most of von's best years came when he was surrounded by guys like ware, talib, harris, etc-- champ in his prime had dumervil and al wilson, and some over the hill names at safety. . . champ also plays an even more difficult position, and he never receives enough credit for how he handled the transition to the no-chuck era, which saw most of the other top corners fade away before the league adjusted. . . the 2015 post-season run was effing majestic, without a doubt-- but it's not enough to overcome a career's worth of dominant play. . . also, let's not forget that champ traveled all over the field to match up with the other team's best receiver, even tight ends. . . when von gets moved around, it's to get him away from the other team's best tackle. . . champ also excelled on special teams when moron put him there, would have been a wicked punt returner if shanny had allowed it, and even petitioned to play WR. . .

i love me some 58, and we've been super lucky to watch all of these guys, but to me it's a pretty straight-forward question. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    More interceptions than completions.
    it was, quite simply, the best season a corner has ever played in the NFL. . . Prime doesn't have a season like that on his resume. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

7. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I'm a Mecklenburg fan (actually a fan of all of them but particularly the "Albino Rhino" who was almost undrafted yet Joe Collier turned him into one of the best front seven players of all-time) but I am choosing Von Miller because he probably won us a Super Bowl ring that one year. Remember how he sacked, harassed and intercepted Brady in the AFC Championship then two major blow-up plays on Newton in SB50? Love the others but Von got us a ring so I will list him as greatest. I honestly can't say the others won a title practically single-handedly. Take Von out of the equation in those two games and I don't think we win either.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Both my sons played corner very well, and their hero was Champ Bailey. You guys have said it all about Champ. Best move the Broncos ever made in FA.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

This is what I found:

wow. I didn't realize it was like that.

I know Von is LT level good and by will delivered a championship at a position that impacts every single play--but that level of play by Champ might be the best single season effort on defense by anyone to wear an NFL jersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    wow. I didn't realize it was like that.
    oh, baby-- it was like that!

champ make it do what it do! he is a bad, baaaaad man. . .

- John Elway

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    oh, baby-- it was like that!

champ make it do what it do! he is a bad, baaaaad man. . .

But can he play safety?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Gradishar has no votes, spike can’t have voted yet as it I remember right, spike loves him some gradishar

18. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I have my own preference for greatest ever

Mister Cobble

20. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

There were so many great defensive players on the 90s Broncos SB teams that went unappreciated and was often overlooked because of TD and the offense.

Ray Crockett
    Neil Smith
    Romanowski
    Alfred Williams
    John Mobley
    Steve Atwater
    Dennis Smith

All ballers all gamers
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

22. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    von is the sentimental pick. . . denver draft pick, played on our most legendary defense, won a ring and a super bowl MVP. . . and he has a much more entertaining, engaging personality. . . champ is the correct pick. . . he did it at the very highest level more consistently, and for a longer period of time. . . von, as amazing as he has been, has only had one season where he was the best pass rusher in the game. . . champ was easily, hands down the very best corner in the game for a good 5-6 years, and is much higher on the all-time list at his position than von. . . champ also did it with much less help-- think what he could have done with wade philips! most of von's best years came when he was surrounded by guys like ware, talib, harris, etc-- champ in his prime had dumervil and al wilson, and some over the hill names at safety. . . champ also plays an even more difficult position, and he never receives enough credit for how he handled the transition to the no-chuck era, which saw most of the other top corners fade away before the league adjusted. . . the 2015 post-season run was effing majestic, without a doubt-- but it's not enough to overcome a career's worth of dominant play. . . also, let's not forget that champ traveled all over the field to match up with the other team's best receiver, even tight ends. . . when von gets moved around, it's to get him away from the other team's best tackle. . . champ also excelled on special teams when moron put him there, would have been a wicked punt returner if shanny had allowed it, and even petitioned to play WR. . .

i love me some 58, and we've been super lucky to watch all of these guys, but to me it's a pretty straight-forward question. . .
    Yeah hard to argue with any of this. Sometimes I think how good Champ really was gets lost a bit in the overall mediocrity of a lot of those teams he was on. Such a shame we could never get him a ring.

24. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

If some of our elder statesmen in here would like to come tell us stories of Meck and Grad I'm all ears.

Joe? Dread? Where are you guys?
    RE: Meck - this says it better than I could:

Also

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/...nburg-17236823

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...rl-Mecklenburg

26. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Rahim.

28. The Following 2 Users High Fived WTE For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information