Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Mlb 2020

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The owners are already taking heat for not signing mid level free agents. Shortening the season would make that worse and the union wouldn’t agree to it.
    I think sabermetrics, the emphasis on the HR, and the advancement of pitching has destroyed the market for mid tier players. Why sign a veteran mid tier guy for $5-10M when you can bring up a young guy and get somewhat comparable production and keep him locked up for cheap?

Baseball is an absolutely cruel and mostly heartbreaking sport to try to make it in.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

2. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Honestly shortening the season and ditching a quarter of the teams would be a good start to reshaping the game.
    Ditching a quarter of the teams? That's a terrible idea.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I think sabermetrics, the emphasis on the HR, and the advancement of pitching has destroyed the market for mid tier players. Why sign a veteran mid tier guy for $5-10M when you can bring up a young guy and get somewhat comparable production and keep him locked up for cheap?

Baseball is an absolutely cruel and mostly heartbreaking sport to try to make it in.
    Right. But my point isn’t to knock the owners for using sabermetrics and being smart about who they sign. My point is that the union isn’t going to agree to a shorter season as the owners are doing this.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Ditching a quarter of the teams? That's a terrible idea.
    Why should owners who don't try to compete just be able to make money? Does the league really need the Pirates or the Rays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I don't blame teams for being smart and using analytics, but I feel like it's kinda ruined baseball in a lot of ways. There is pretty much no diversity in how teams play anymore. Everyone just swinging for home runs pretty much all the time.

That's probably an oversimplification, but I'm not sure the homogenization of how the game is played is great for the sport.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Why should owners who don't try to compete just be able to make money? Does the league really need the Pirates or the Rays?
    The league needs the Pirates. Beautiful park. Long tradition. Great Uni's.

The Rays are the opposite of all those things.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    The league needs the Pirates. Beautiful park. Long tradition. Great Uni's.

The Rays are the opposite of all those things.
    Yeah the pirates stadium is pristine. Nicest stadium I've ever been to in any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't blame teams for being smart and using analytics, but I feel like it's kinda ruined baseball in a lot of ways. There is pretty much no diversity in how teams play anymore. Everyone just swinging for home runs pretty much all the time.

That's probably an oversimplification, but I'm not sure the homogenization of how the game is played is great for the sport.
    The one thing that can help it is teams adjusting. Last year I read a piece or two about how some teams are using analytics to fight back against...the prior data. Lol. You are very correct. I'm just hoping that the data will end up being such that you basically find several different paths to win and go from there. The era of the longball is kind of cool, but it does get tiring hearing the talking heads speak about launch angles and the like.

If the game of baseball is solved, it does kind of suck.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

12. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The one thing that can help it is teams adjusting. Last year I read a piece or two about how some teams are using analytics to fight back against...the prior data. Lol. You are very correct. I'm just hoping that the data will end up being such that you basically find several different paths to win and go from there. The era of the longball is kind of cool, but it does get tiring hearing the talking heads speak about launch angles and the like.

If the game of baseball is solved, it does kind of suck.
    If it truly is solved, then it's a dead sport. No one wants to watch calculators face off against each other. I hope that we get a backlash and some truly viable competing styles.

14. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    If it truly is solved, then it's a dead sport. No one wants to watch calculators face off against each other. I hope that we get a backlash and some truly viable competing styles.
    Honestly the issue truly began when the art of the complete game died and the uber specialization of bullpen pitching took full force.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Honestly the issue truly began when the art of the complete game died and the uber specialization of bullpen pitching took full force.
    Hopefully the 3 pitcher rule curbs that a bit.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8DEB81D-6EBF-4C27-8680-2027811F4EE4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	16024
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    No.
    I’ll take that as a maybe.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I’ll take that as a maybe.
    I like your optimism.

Mo, do you like the shift's prominence in the game today?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information