Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat Shurmur Hire is Imminent

Mo, in defense of his time in 'Sota, Cook was hurt after the first or second game of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    But quick, who was the top rusher on that Minnesota team with Case Keenum? Who were the top backs on those Eagles teams of the 2000s or the Eagles team he came back to coach with Chip Kelly on?
    I was wondering the same in my primitive way. Check this out--

I had this vibe for some reason that Shurmur's greatest success offensively has been when the line can rush effectively. Mostly from the 2017 Vikes that used such a run-heavy (% of plays) offense. I might have found another example of the Eagles but not sure (another run-heavy look that was among his more successful).

I'm not making that into some kind of statistical inference, but stuff like that offers to me an opportunity to explore a possibility. It *might* be something.

Then I get to wondering, who were his backs? That 2017 Vikes--wasn't that the year after AP left? They had Latavius Murray and another dude? You are right...weird. Hard to unpack the 'why' from the Keenum season--was it just a 'sum is better than the parts' team results with good chemistry (and a good roster) between two old-schoolers like Zimmer and Shurmur?

Then I get to wondering about the Eagles--was McCoy a part of that? He came later, right? Was it Westbrook?

What about the Chip Kelly years--does any of that register? What did that bit of weirdness do for him?

I'm interested to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

So, its official then. He's the new OC.

Fine.

Now win games.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    From what I read last night, they are saying Shurmur is exactly the opposite of what you are saying, "conservative."

They said he will put Lock back in shotgun, which he is comfortable with. Expect him to stretch the field and take many more shots downfield. While not completely eliminated, far less throws to the TEs and RBs.

Assuming the above is true (mostly an SI article, but some others as well), it sounds like Shurmur is far from a conservative OC.

In one of the articles it pointed out how Lock's gunslinger mentality will mesh well with Shurmur expecting him to take shots down field.
    I thought he was being hired to be a more experienced hand in the Kubiak system, but you're right. From what I heard today, it's the opposite.

This is the shit-canning of the system. Shurmur ran with 3 wides a lot in NY.

Fangio reportedly was at odds with Scangarello all season and wanted a more aggressive offense. Scangarello met with him after the season and defended his play calling by arguing that the crappy personnel on the team, especially the OL limited what he could do.

Fangio left that meeting thinking that he was not going to get what he wanted from Scangarello, and that they would have to move on from him.

And when Shurmur became available they moved quickly because several other teams were interested in him. But, the Broncos job was his favorite because here he would have more autonomy with running the Offense. Fangio is a defensive coach and his hand is in on designing the defense.

He's less involved with the offense, except he wants certain results. Plus, watching the Chiefs put up 50 points on the Texans without even breaking a sweat has to be deflating.

There is just NO WAY that the idiot Elway plan could possibly succeed. They have lost 9 times in a row to KC and need an offense that can go toe to toe with Pat Mahomes over the next ten years.

17 points a game, or 20 is just not going to cut it. Whether they like it or not a formula that emphasizes elite defense and a care-taker offense is not going to beat KC. Hence Fangio makes the change.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Shurmur is far from conservative......and his RB's in Minny his last full year as OC combined to have the 7th ranked rushing attack in 2017. As for in NY Barkley had issues with vision last year much like lindsay did this year, but he was also banged up a bit. Lets not forget Shurmur made gallman into a beast for a couple games before he got hurt as well.....most teams stacked the box, cause Jones didnt have great WR's to use when shepard went down(cody latimer lol)....he made it work but the offense wasnt great as a whole, cause teams focused on taking barkley out. Barkely still topped 1000 yds in both season under Shurmur. In philly Mccoy had 1600 yds in year 1, then 1300 yds in year 2 and Murray had 702 in year 3.

Shurmur uses his backs....It will be nice to finally see our offense open up. Rest assured though we need to address WR for his scheme to maximized. I think Sutton and Hamilton in the slot can flourish, but we need another outside speed threat and some better depth.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

8. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Elway isn't an idiot. Like, I've been critical of some of his positions and decisions, but he's not an idiot.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I thought he was being hired to be a more experienced hand in the Kubiak system, but you're right. From what I heard today, it's the opposite.

This is the shit-canning of the system. Shurmur ran with 3 wides a lot in NY.

Fangio reportedly was at odds with Scangarello all season and wanted a more aggressive offense. Scangarello met with him after the season and defended his play calling by arguing that the crappy personnel on the team, especially the OL limited what he could do.

Fangio left that meeting thinking that he was not going to get what he wanted from Scangarello, and that they would have to move on from him.

And when Shurmur became available they moved quickly because several other teams were interested in him. But, the Broncos job was his favorite because here he would have more autonomy with running the Offense. Fangio is a defensive coach and his hand is in on designing the defense.

He's less involved with the offense, except he wants certain results. Plus, watching the Chiefs put up 50 points on the Texans without even breaking a sweat has to be deflating.

There is just NO WAY that the idiot Elway plan could possibly succeed. They have lost 9 times in a row to KC and need an offense that can go toe to toe with Pat Mahomes over the next ten years.

17 points a game, or 20 is just not going to cut it. Whether they like it or not a formula that emphasizes elite defense and a care-taker offense is not going to beat KC. Hence Fangio makes the change.
    So Elway hired the guy you dont like, but Fangio is responsible for the guy you like?

I think some else said this earlier in the thread too, im just curious where you get the info that says you are accurate about either of these views. Links to who made each hiring and firing would be excellent.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

The more I look at the hire, the more I love it.

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    The more I look at the hire, the more I love it.
    Why? Nothing about it gets my swooners swooning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Why? Nothing about it gets my swooners swooning.
    Shurm has gotten production out of QB's in various circumstances. When someone can be successful in multiple places, that's a good sign. Especially when that person is experienced and trying to solidify a place of turmoil. Is it sexy? No. But it a cutey with a booty.

18. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Would also like Cugel to provide links to the following which he posted:

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos name Pat Shurmur as offensive coordinator

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — More than two decades of NFL experience are headed to Denver to direct the Broncos’ offense.

The Broncos officially named Pat Shurmur as their offensive coordinator on Tuesday, Head Coach Vic Fangio announced.

“Pat is an established play-caller with significant experience leading an offense as both a coordinator and head coach," Fangio said. "Having coached against Pat for a number of years, he’s always impressed me. His track record of developing younger players is outstanding. Pat brings a collaborative approach to working with the staff as well as a flexibility to adjust the offense to our players and opponents. We’re excited to add someone of his caliber to our coaching staff.”

Shurmur, who has coached in the NFL for 21 years, spent his last 11 years in the league as either a head coach or offensive coordinator.
    rest, plus video - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/b...ve-coordinator

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

"Only five teams recorded more plays of 20 yards or more over the past two seasons, and Shurmur helped Saquon Barkley to Rookie of the Year honors in 2018. "

We could have used some of that big play offesne the last 5 years lol
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

24. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    So Elway hired the guy you dont like, but Fangio is responsible for the guy you like?

I think some else said this earlier in the thread too, im just curious where you get the info that says you are accurate about either of these views. Links to who made each hiring and firing would be excellent.
    DMac.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post

WTF are you talking about?

Who did Elway hire that I don't like? Fangio? I think the jury is still out on Fangio. They had to get rid of VJ. That was obvious. Fangio is experienced. He might not be a great rah-rah guy, but whatever.

Shurmur? Meh. I think this is pretty much a lateral move, maybe slight upgrade. He's more experienced.

As for who was responsible for the firing of Scangerello literally EVERYBODY is saying this on the radio. Mark Schlereth yesterday, Joel Klatt today, and just this morning Laurie Lattimore-Volkmann of Editor of Mile High Report, who I've never actually heard of saying the same friggin' thing "this is what I've heard at Dove Valley."

These are reporters who cover the Broncos for a living. What they are reporting is pretty basic stuff, not something that deep.

Why **** don't you pay attention yourself instead of being a stupid lazy ******* and stop asking me and do a little research yourself?

This seriously pisses me off, when I say something friggin' obvious and all I get is IDIOTS questioning everything when they are too ******* lazy to figure it out themselves -- or they wouldn't be questioning me, since this stuff is obvious.

Use your brains for something other than sitting on for a change!
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-15-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information