Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horror scores

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Horror scores

I've found it to be quite enjoyable to listen to the score to something scary--say, the soundtrack to Alien. This occurred to me after watching 'Alcest--What's in my bag?', the often brilliant clips on youtube from Ameoba Records in LA. The guy from Alcest mentioned that very score by J. Goldsmith. I happened to watch the movie in theater the other day and I thought 'why not just listen to this by itself?'

So there is obviously something quite wrong with me that I enjoy this so much but I do. I looked at lists to see what other people like. I made a playlist based on those suggestions. Then I realized that video games often have excellent scores--Mikko Tarmia's work with Frictional Games as a prime example. It's impossible to overstate how effective, how inseperable the score is in creating the 'horror' atmosphere. For me gore and whatnot is boring and uninteresting, but something eerie and impossible is excellent.

My hope in sharing this is to find things to add to this playlist and also to share this discovery with others of my ilk.

Here's the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FJL_WJIUqgnS32

Here are the scores:

Movies / TV -

Halloween
    Return of the Living Dead
    Trick or Treat
    The Wicker Man
    Dawn of the Dead
    Tubular Bells (Exorcist)
    Starry Eyes
    Hellraiser
    The Thing
    Beyond the Black Rainbow
    Maniac
    XTRO
    Lucio Fulci's Zombi
    Mandy
    The Keep
    Tenebre
    ...E Tu Vivrai Nel Terrore! L'aldila
    The Omen
    Halloween 3
    The Changeling
    Psycho
    Altered States
    Blade Runner 2049
    Twin Peaks
    The Dunwich Horror
    It Follows
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Demons
    Alien
    Phantasm
    Poltergeist
    Under the Skin
    The Descent
    The Fog
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Suspiria
    Ringu & The Ring

Video Games -

Amnesia
    SOMA
    Penumbra
    Alien: Isolation
    Silent Hill 2
    Outlast
    System Shock 2
    Diablo 2
    Half-Life 2

Independent musical productions -

Cthulhu - Cryo Chamber
    An Empty Bliss Beyond This World - The Caretaker
    Ambient Winter - Cryo Chamber
    Cold Journeys in Uninhabitable Lands - Northumbria
    Dark Winter Music & Gothic Music - The Fiechters

Hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 10-21-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Check this out!

This genius is going unappreciated in our time...the score to Outlast.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Horror scores?

30-6

Pretty scary, no?

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

What about Jaws? (1975)

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Kawai's score to Ringu is top shelf. Left it off the original list because no excuse sir. This track is the best one. From about 2:00 to 3:00 is exquisite. Zimmer's score to The Ring is also excellent.

Hi there. Here's four additional options:

Last edited by Hawgdriver; 06-25-2022 at 12:37 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Hawg you are easily one of my favourite (with a U) posters..... but you are one weird dude!

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Hawg you are easily one of my favourite (with a U) posters..... but you are one weird dude!
    Indeed. I was reflecting on this not an hour ago. I remembered how much joy it brought me when, in high school during lunch on a Friday, I convinced the student DJ to play:

I was disappointed a bit when so much of the student body turned to each other as if somebody cut a rank juicy fart, just these looks of disgust and confusion, but I comforted myself with the thought that I couldn't help their poor taste. People be like 'wtf are we listening to?'

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

That’s a cool tune!

14. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Full disclosure..... I’m not all that normal either

16. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Full disclosure..... I’m not all that normal either
    I guess all that matters is that we can act the part quite well.

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Thanks Joe! This was indeed the first list I used to compile my own. Some odd selections--XTRO???--but indeed, great scary movie score.

22. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'll bet the score to Dune will be solid. Arrival and BR 2049 were both top shelf.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Listening to The Haunting of Hill House soundtrack by the Newton Bros. Top shelf!

25. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

My vinyl for The Lighthouse (by Korven) arrived in the mail today.

I am somewhat convinced that this is where the Mozarts and Chopins of this era go--to create scores. And the modern score, especially for dark/scary type stuff, is relatively unexplored. Taking ideas and branching off from what contemporary classical composers like Ligeti invented in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

In that sense, it's exciting avant-garde stuff.

Doesn't mean it's danceable though...

There is some kind of serotonin dopamine thing going on in our society these days, and I wonder if that's always been the case. I wonder if becoming more sedentary as a civilization has brought with it a tidal shift in neurotransmitter balance.

27. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information