Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I predict the NFL season will be played in front of mostly empty stadiums. The NCAA football season will get cancelled.

I think they will find a way to isolate and quarantine players, but I just don't see how having 70k people in a stadium together is even remotely possible pre-vaccine.
It's tough because the models seem to underestimate the blanket infectivity of the virus, while simultaneously anticipating high fatalities based on the wave in Italy. When they finally get around to tracing this disease via widespread antibody tests, hopefully June or July, I think they will find that this virus will have already infected anywhere from 70%-80% of our population and is far more widespread than anyone would have ever thought. Unfortunately, because of how dense population-wise Europe is, and because of their demographic pyramid of elderly that smoke, it's difficult to see how it will translate to the United States. China is also difficult to translate to the US too because of how they hide their data, but I would venture to say there are several locations that are extremely cross-comparable spread wise. We'll probably follow a more similar pattern to China (adjusted for population density across certain regions) vs. Italy's pattern.

Whatever solution the European Soccer Leagues and the NBA come up with, will surely be something the NFL considers. I think sports leagues should be on the phone with the unions right now planning for extended, one-neutral-site, closed-work locations. Families be damned, coaches and players hole up in hotels for 6 months and make this damn thing happen with maybe a batch of "certified" camp-cuts that remain on call as free agents in said quarantine location ready to go. We will see the NBA and European Soccer get desperate in June, so the NFL will surely copy them. No matter what though, he London games are certainly off the table.