Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My vinyl collection

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yes. And a lot of vinyl is reissue. So it's a digital source. As is modern studio recording technique. The analog is better argument couldn't possibly hold in those cases.

It depends on the reissue. If the artist has access to the master tracks they will often do them properly and even remaster for the reissue. Its still a bunch of hipster nonsense to say one is better than the other, too many variables go into it.

2. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    when I put on Siamese Dream you bet your ass I am also sitting down with some sort of alcohol or something to listen to both sides of a complete album.
    Yeah, there is something to this, a bottle of single malt and a seminal album, possibly in a room that smells of rich mahogany!

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    Oh yes, now I remember....

You see most music is broadcast in some lossy format, where details are missed, and the overall quality is reduced. It happens because audio files get compressed to make them small enough to store thousands of them on the phone, and to stream online. Regardless whether you listen to music on a streaming service like Apple Music or prefer MP3s or even the radio, you can't get the full picture of that track. Vinyl is far more high-quality. No audio data is lost when pressing a record. It sounds just as great as the producer or band intended.
    Vinyl sounds closer to the original actual studio recordings and for the best artist interpretation. You also need a good player and new needle for best sound quality.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Yeah, there is something to this, a bottle of single malt and a seminal album, possibly in a room that smells of rich mahogany!
    Add in a cigarette laced with acid and you have a great night on your hands!

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Add in a cigarette laced with acid and you have a great night on your hands!
    Oh man!!!!

I could watch a few episodes of bounty law right now

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I do enjoy the activity of listening to and the big cover art of records. I hope to one day have a small collection of my all time favorite albums.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I have a pretty good vinyl collection, mostly studio albums from my favorite bands like NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, and The Black Keys and some classic rock like Chicago, The Beach Boys, etc. To me its not so much that vinyls sounds better (I have some lossless digital copies that blow the doors off my vinyl), but the sound is richer and there is something very purposeful to playing a record. I have a pretty simple Audio Technica turntable connected to an old Sony CD/Cassette receiver with decent speakers and it sounds great. Depending on the setup you can produce recording studio quality playback, but I have no desire to do that.

I have thousands of songs on my computer and phone and I can hit shuffle and just skip around to my favorites, but when I put on Siamese Dream you bet your ass I am also sitting down with some sort of alcohol or something to listen to both sides of a complete album. It's kind of ritualistic and forces you to really want to hear the music you selected instead of it just being background noise. Though I do have some records that I will throw on while I'm reading or working just for some cool ambient sound.

The other big draw for me is that I LOVE physical media and nothing beats record art and liner notes with lyrics and such. Its also relatively easy to find vinyl reissues and most new music is on vinyl as well and it always comes with a digital download code so its the best of both worlds. I am very selective about which records I will buy though, and probably only pick up 6 or so a year.
    Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It depends on the reissue. If the artist has access to the master tracks they will often do them properly and even remaster for the reissue. Its still a bunch of hipster nonsense to say one is better than the other, too many variables go into it.
    Yeah, I'm not buying any 'fidelity' argument. It's preference for the overall medium--the purposefulness that you describe, and the ritual of it all, and the somewhat distinctive sound character.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Oh man!!!!

I could watch a few episodes of bounty law right now
    You’ve inspired me. Just threw on (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? and poured some Bulleit Bourbon. Will throw on Why Me? Why Not next. The baby should be fine in the tub a few hours I left some rubber duckies and an iPad looping Sesame Street.

16. The Following 6 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

So the kiddo and I dropped by the antique mall tonight. Found a Close Encounters of the 3d Kind Soundtrack, Alan Parsons Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Alan Parsons was the engineer for Dark Side of the Moon), and Sviatoslav Richter's Schumann Piano Concerto (2 bux). Looking through hundreds of albums and that's the best I could find, and I was not moved to purchase them. There was a Pink Floyd Animals and a Weather Report Heavy Weather I'd probably want, but in the interest of being deliberate and finding only a few perfect selections, I have nothing to report at this time. The search continues tomorrow, as my son made me promise we would go to the antique mall again after school.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think I know what my vinyl collection will look like to begin with. It needs to have a few horror movie scores. Just does. In fact, it needs these:

Phantasm OST
    Alien OST
    Starry Eyes OST
    It Follows OST
    Music from Twin Peaks
    John Carpenter's The Fog
    Suspiria (Goblin)
    Halloween III
    The Wicker Man
    Mandy
    Hellraiser
    The Thing

maybe...The Changling, Maniac, The Omen, etc.

Then it needs some grit. A few of these:

Skinny Puppy - Rabies, TDP
    NiN - PHM, Further Down the Spiral, hell maybe even Downward Spiral but I don't know the belts have been showing on this tire for a long ass time
    Neon Judgment - anything I can find for less than $100
    Laibach
    Filmmaker if he has vinyl

And some light-hearted fun:

Talking Heads
    LCD Soundsystem

Some lo-fi type shit:

Bon Iver - For Emma
    Ariel Pink - House Arrest or Worn Copy

A few classical cuts:

Richter's D960
    Richter's Pictures at an Exhibition
    Pollini's Wanderer Fantasy
    Some Argerich - definitely her Chopin 3d Sonata, and probably a recording of Chopin's preludes, although maybe you get Pogo's because he did it weird and interesting
    Someone's version of Beethoven's 4th PC
    there are some timeless recordings but let's not get too carried away it's classical after all

Some slices of perfection:

Michael Jackson's Thriller
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Santana - Abraxas
    PJ - Ten
    Zep - III and IV
    ??? - let's not overdo it

Some weird shit:

Weird shit (PiL flowers, King Missile, this Heat, NoMeansNo, Shellac)

Some jazz:

[talk to Canmore]

Some Dead Can Dance:

The big 3 (Spleen, Dying Sun, Serpent's Egg)

Some prog:

In the Court...
    Maybe Caravan, early Floyd, some Canterbury scene stuff, if played right, I'm really going to pull some wool here. NM married! Hm.
    Hm.

Some metal:

Alcest - Kodama
    Skogen - Eld
    Ruins of Bev - Foulest Semen
    Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    Ulver - Bergtatt

Some punk:

At least one from each of the mt. Rushmore of punk:
    DK
    Descendants
    Op Ivy
    Minor Threat (/fugazi)

Some hip hop:

Too Short
    PE, maybe nation of millions
    some NAS
    GZA Liquid Swords

Some chazzy type Murder by Death

Maybe one Yo La Tengo album

And something straightforward, or a few things like that, to keep it all from being pretentious. Accepting applications.

But most of all it needs the horror scores or else it won't do, and I don't even care to begin it. I am not sure what that means.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Some punk:

At least one from each of the mt. Rushmore of punk:
    [not The Clash]
    Wow that’s pretty ****** up.

22. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I think you should get The Shining soundtrack. And the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

24. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Wow that’s pretty ****** up.
    Clash ain't punk.

Clash is in every collection.

It's tired.

Still, London Calling is a slice of perfection, and it might belong there.

26. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    So the kiddo and I dropped by the antique mall tonight. Found a Close Encounters of the 3d Kind Soundtrack, Alan Parsons Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Alan Parsons was the engineer for Dark Side of the Moon), and Sviatoslav Richter's Schumann Piano Concerto (2 bux). Looking through hundreds of albums and that's the best I could find, and I was not moved to purchase them. There was a Pink Floyd Animals and a Weather Report Heavy Weather I'd probably want, but in the interest of being deliberate and finding only a few perfect selections, I have nothing to report at this time. The search continues tomorrow, as my son made me promise we would go to the antique mall again after school.
    I have an Olivia Newton John album you can have
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information