Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Here you go Broncowave, Fangio agrees with you on new playoff format

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Here you go Broncowave, Fangio agrees with you on new playoff format

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...0t9p0e5imgGMy4

As things stand heading into Week 15, both the and are 6-7 on the year and vying for first place in the NFC East. Whichever team wins that division will host a game on Wild Card Weekend. For a team that will finish with possibly a .500 record, it seems odd rewarding what feels like a division winner by default a home playoff game. For teams like either Seattle (10-3) or San Francisco (11-2) -- one of which will play on Wild Card Weekend -- it feels like one will get a raw deal.

So, how do we fix that? Well, head coach Vic Fangio believes the could take a page out of the 's book and simply rid themselves of divisions altogether, rolling with the six best teams in each conference .
    "Since the league went to 32 teams, which was when the came in in 2002, my ideal suggestion -- which has never been put forth in front of anybody important -- I don't think there should be divisions," Fangio told e. "I think you've got 16 [teams] in each conference, everybody should play each other once. That's 15 games. If you want a 16th game, you play a natural rival from the other conference. You know, and play every year. Eagles-Steelers, Texans-Cowboys, etc. play every year and keep it at 16 games.

"You'll avoid the problem which is going to happen this year where probably an 8-8 team is hosting a 12-4 team. You're going to get the six best teams in each conference and the divisions always flow. There are some that are easy some year, there are some that have a bunch of good teams. That switches back and forth every couple years. I just think it'd be a good way to avoid it."

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Im all for this IF each Team stays in its Division even if just in name only and the Playoff Format is simply 1-6. This is actually brilliant.

Eliminates the likes if an 8-8 Division Champion hosting a 12-4 WC Team ala 12-4 Pitt @ 8-8 Den 2012 tebow game. I like it seems very fair.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

4. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Of course he agrees with me, because it's the correct take.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

The existing format isn't broken, and the Seahawks upsetting the Saints and the Broncos upsetting the Steelers proved that. Winning a division is supposed to mean something, and teams continually make personnel moves and tailor their rosters to win their division. See: Texans pursuit of pass rushers to beat Manning, Jags pilfering Bouye, Broncos signing Emmanuel once they got wind he was meeting with the Chiefs, Redskins overpaying Collins, etc, etc...
    GMs will outbid other division GMs if they think a player is going to be a threat to them 2 times a year, with this format the way rosters are constructed changes.

I also don't foresee the league adding an expansion team anytime soon, particularly with the Raiders moving to Vegas and the Chargers likely to be out of LA within the decade. The current format is likely to stay, and while it has its problems, makes for some sparks both in season and in the offseason. Let it be.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    The existing format isn't broken, and the Seahawks upsetting the Saints and the Broncos upsetting the Steelers proved that. Winning a division is supposed to mean something, and teams continually make personnel moves and tailor their rosters to win their division. See: Texans pursuit of pass rushers to beat Manning, Jags pilfering Bouye, Broncos signing Emmanuel once they got wind he was meeting with the Chiefs, Redskins overpaying Collins, etc, etc...
    GMs will outbid other division GMs if they think a player is going to be a threat to them 2 times a year, with this format the way rosters are constructed changes.

I also don't foresee the league adding an expansion team anytime soon, particularly with the Raiders moving to Vegas and the Chargers likely to be out of LA within the decade. The current format is likely to stay, and while it has its problems, makes for some sparks both in season and in the offseason. Let it be.
    "GMs build their rosters to win the division" is a pretty bad argument for not changing things. They'd just start building the roster differently if the playoff format changed, and that's ok.

The goal of playoffs should be for the best (insert number of playoff teams here) to get in. That does not always happen in this system.

And as to your position that a couple of first round upsets prove that this system works, I totally disagree. Both of those teams got smacked when they had to go on the road in the next round, proving they probably benefited more than they should have with a home game but ultimately didn't belong. If one of those 7-9 or 8-8 teams actually WINS a Super Bowl, then you can say the system works, but that's never even come close to happening.

It just continually blows my mind year after year that people think this playoff system is perfect and can't be improved on.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    "GMs build their rosters to win the division" is a pretty bad argument for not changing things. They'd just start building the roster differently if the playoff format changed, and that's ok.

The goal of playoffs should be for the best (insert number of playoff teams here) to get in. That does not always happen in this system.

And as to your position that a couple of first round upsets prove that this system works, I totally disagree. Both of those teams got smacked when they had to go on the road in the next round, proving they probably benefited more than they should have with a home game but ultimately didn't belong. If one of those 7-9 or 8-8 teams actually WINS a Super Bowl, then you can say the system works, but that's never even come close to happening.

It just continually blows my mind year after year that people think this playoff system is perfect and can't be improved on.
    Sure, everyone would adapt to a new format. It's not perfect, but changing it inevitably devalues and cheapens loads of regular season games. It's not really in the economic interest of the league to diminish rivalries, nor is it really beneficial for late season ratings if the league has most playoff spots already accounted for towards the end of the year. Sure, it might be more fair on paper, but it would come at the cost of cheapening rivalries.

It's not perfect, but the existing format really isn't broken. Teams play 6 division games a year, and each play 4 of the same non-conference opponents, and 4 of the same conference opponents aligned to their specific division. Aside from the 2 games of variability, the system is set up in such a way that all teams are on a level playing field competing for a home playoff spot against the other 3 teams in their division. It blows my mind that people see this as some kind of catastrophically broken system, when it's plenty fair.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You can still keep rivalries and tweak the playoff format.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

You can still keep rivalries and tweak the playoff format.
    Not without devaluation.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I see both sides of the argument but at the same time i have always felt that if you are supposed to be the better team than you should be able to beat teams that you are supposed to beat. If Pittsburgh was really that much better than Denver when Tebow played they should have won the game. Simple as that.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I see both sides of the argument but at the same time i have always felt that if you are supposed to be the better team than you should be able to beat teams that you are supposed to beat. If Pittsburgh was really that much better than Denver when Tebow played they should have won the game. Simple as that.
    And the fact that we lost by about 40 in the next round proved that we probably didn't belong in the playoffs and that first game was probably a fluke.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Also, if 60+ year old Vic Fangio, who is an old stogy old school football guy thinks it's time to change, then it's probably time to change.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

And the fact that we lost by about 40 in the next round proved that we probably didn't belong in the playoffs and that first game was probably a fluke.
    Fluke or not thats why you play the game regardless. Fans crave the unexpected and the "shockers" i mean are you really that upset that we beat Pitt that year despite we all knowing we were playing in over our heads? Im not. I knew we would lose to NE but it didnt hurt my feelings that we knocked another team out in the process. Maybe thats just me though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Also, if 60+ year old Vic Fangio, who is an old stogy old school football guy thinks it's time to change, then it's probably time to change.
    It wouldnt hurt my feelings if we did but i dont think its really going to make or break the NFL truthfully.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I don't like this idea

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    I don't like this idea
    I am okay with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information