Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: After Not Rushing Drew Lock, the Broncos’ Patience Is Paying Off

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    cause until johnson we only had a old ass davis with some so so talent, maybe he felt if he had 4 or 5 mediocre ones it would equal out to 1 avg one???
    Old ass Davis is my guy! His so so talent is legit, and he deserves better than this! Quit asking him to turn his hips and cover Kittle, Kelce, and Henry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Old ass Davis is my guy! His so so talent is legit, and he deserves better than this! Quit asking him to turn his hips and cover Kittle, Kelce, and Henry!
    I am a Davis fan actually, dude is a warrior and has been a steady presence for this team. Problem is he cant cover that well against elite players like you mentioned, he was and has always been a thumper and we haven't put anyone next to him that could until Johnson came alive.....So the coverage weakness was magnified even more. I like Davis but he is old and doesn't have much left in the tank that's a reality. I don't want to go back to having just 1 good ILB in Johnson. I want 2, makes the defense beastly...Jewell isn't that guy for me either....
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 12-11-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Dante Olson!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Maybe he would not have taken the risks with his body that he did and would have been influenced by PFM

Maybe PFM would also have taken them to the play offs in those years, but taken them further

Maybe now the colts would have a healthy luck and be in their eighth year of perennial Super Bowl contenders with a qb who could still take them there for another decade

Instead PFM won in Denver, Colts won nothing and Luck got repeatedly broken to the point he is now dead

Like I said, it just made me wonder

You giant asshat
    Bah humbug
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Two games in and he's already the Second Coming: Let's see what happens when he's on all three weeks of game tapes we're mandated to send opponents.

I'm glad our current starting QB's playing well enough to get all the accolades the last one ALSO got his first few games. The reality remains it doesn't matter WHOM the QB is if the line can't protect him NOR give him enough run support he doesn't haven't to try carrying the offense alone. Peyton Freakin' Manning couldn't do it, but a rookie? That's got "shell shock" written all over it. It's how you teach QBs to rush throws into double coverage because they hear phantom footsteps. "Why'd he get rid of it so fast; there wasn't even a rush!" Yeah, but QBs don't hold the ball to see if there's a free blitzer when it's "safe" to assume there probably is.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    The Broncos did not want to play Lock to start the year. That's fine - I didn't want Lock to start Week 1 either.

But then they restructured Flacco's deal right before the season, which means they will suffer if they cut him after this year. Now that doesn't make a lot of sense if the plan is to work Lock in during the season sometime.

Of course Lock was injured, so maybe they figured they'd redshirt him - but being as bad as they were meant that they would be drafting high in the first round again and needed to know if Lock was worth foregoing another top QB draft option in favor of help in other areas. So he HAD to play.

They still wouldn't "rush" him or even commit to pulling him off IR. If Brandon Allen had not completely faceplanted in bad weather and put up one of the worst Broncos performances in decades on offense, Lock might not have gotten on the field still. They were talking about holding him until the last 2 or 3 games of the year.

Drew took good advantage of his time healing and recovering. The VR system seems to have helped with his reads. He has had more time to get comfortable with what is being asked of him. But Denver can't really sell this as the plan all along, because it wasn't. It took a lot of carnage to get here. The 11-car pileup that was Denver's first 11 games resulted in what looks like the correct deployment schedule for Lock, and I'm glad. I wanted to see a bunch of him so that Denver could see what he offered over several games, and enough game tape for teams to adjust, before the draft decisions had to be made.

Lock is playing it like he really is the QBOTF. Sometimes you just get lucky in how that comes about. Denver's next goal should be to keep him alive. Fix the line, yo. It helps now that the first round pick won't be a QB, like it helped that Denver managed to snag Lock in the 2nd after passing on him in the first.

But thank luck, not planning. It wasn't great process to get here, so try to enact better process in giving your newly-minted QBOTF his best chance at long-term success please.
    Sweet Baby Yodi you write like an angel! I can’t quit you G Money!
    Famous quotes by me:
    "When life gives you lemons, it's probably trying to occupy your hands so it can kick you in the nuts."
    "There is a fine line between genius and insanity... stupid has no such boundaries."

- Gimpygod | I'm famous suckers! Video proof

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Gimpygod For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post

But thank luck, not planning. It wasn't great process to get here, so try to enact better process in giving your newly-minted QBOTF his best chance at long-term success please.
    That's it in a nutshell.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Absolutely. I think I read or heard an announcer say that I guess during practice, they had a helmet cam on Flacco and Lock was then using virtual reality goggles to see what Flacco saw. I know there are many that felt he should have been thrown out there sooner, but he had a LOT to learn, and how bad he was in the HOF game, and then how he progressed in each of his three appearances shows both that he can improve, but also that he has so much to learn. Same with his two starts -- he was much better in the second than the first.

Look at how often, even right before he's about to take the snap, he's looking at his wrist band. This is a kid who appears to be a very good thrower, and natural passer (making progressions, moving from pressure, throwing receiver open), but who is still learning how to be a pro QB.
    The VR was from Flacco’s point of view? Gawd I hope there were big, flashing red letters across the screen saying “how NOT to play QB!”
    Famous quotes by me:
    "When life gives you lemons, it's probably trying to occupy your hands so it can kick you in the nuts."
    "There is a fine line between genius and insanity... stupid has no such boundaries."

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Gimpygod For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    And the real takeaway is what I and others have said, it's net zero, as the cap that was freed by the restructured rolls into next year and offsets the cap hit next year if he's cut. However, if the Broncos designated him a post June cut (they can cut him before, but declared him a june 2nd cut), then they can spread it over two years.

So, this structured could in no way hurt them, and only gives them cap flexibility.
    I still think G Money’s original point stands regardless of the end result concerning the contract, Lock was not intended to start this season.
    Famous quotes by me:

I thought they called you Tvirus...
    Famous quotes by me:

16. The Following User High Fived Gimpygod For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpygod View Post
    That's just his hacker name.

Famous quotes by me:

Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    The Broncos did not want to play Lock to start the year. That's fine - I didn't want Lock to start Week 1 either.

But then they restructured Flacco's deal right before the season, which means they will suffer if they cut him after this year. Now that doesn't make a lot of sense if the plan is to work Lock in during the season sometime.

Of course Lock was injured, so maybe they figured they'd redshirt him - but being as bad as they were meant that they would be drafting high in the first round again and needed to know if Lock was worth foregoing another top QB draft option in favor of help in other areas. So he HAD to play.

They still wouldn't "rush" him or even commit to pulling him off IR. If Brandon Allen had not completely faceplanted in bad weather and put up one of the worst Broncos performances in decades on offense, Lock might not have gotten on the field still. They were talking about holding him until the last 2 or 3 games of the year.

Drew took good advantage of his time healing and recovering. The VR system seems to have helped with his reads. He has had more time to get comfortable with what is being asked of him. But Denver can't really sell this as the plan all along, because it wasn't. It took a lot of carnage to get here. The 11-car pileup that was Denver's first 11 games resulted in what looks like the correct deployment schedule for Lock, and I'm glad. I wanted to see a bunch of him so that Denver could see what he offered over several games, and enough game tape for teams to adjust, before the draft decisions had to be made.

Lock is playing it like he really is the QBOTF. Sometimes you just get lucky in how that comes about. Denver's next goal should be to keep him alive. Fix the line, yo. It helps now that the first round pick won't be a QB, like it helped that Denver managed to snag Lock in the 2nd after passing on him in the first.

I had to check this twice to see that I hadn't written this post and forgotten it because it so perfectly reflects my own views. 100% correct.

Elway had the Flacco plan that imploded and then exploded when Flacco got hurt. As always Elway had no "Plan B? We don't have Plan B. We're going Plan A!" -- John Elway 2012.

Drew Lock was not properly developed and brought along as quickly as they could because it wasn't a priority for them. They thought they were a MUCH better team than they are.

They were totally delusional about the level of talent on this roster. They are clearly a re-building team and have been for the last 3 years.

You are what your record says you are. After 4 years you don't get to keep saying "We think we're really much better than our record and that with a couple little tweaks we're going to be competing in our division and going to the playoffs."

That's really what Elway thought they could achieve with Joe Flacco, the equestrian statue and this OL!

Intelligent commentators said when the Broncos signed Joe Flacco that unless Denver's OL was significantly better in 2019 than it had been in 2018; really a LOT better, then Joe Flacco wouldn't last 8 games.

The OL wasn't any better. He lasted exactly 8 games. This was predictable and predicted. Elway had ZERO plan for the most probable scenario:

"What if I'm wrong and Joe Flacco doesn't play like he did under Kubiak in 2014? What if he's basically the Joe Flacco the Ravens got rid of because they needed an upgrade after the last 4 seasons.

He wore out his welcome by being basically mediocre. That 2012 SB MVP guy Elway babbled about inanely in his introductory press conference hasn't existed for a long-ass time.

Most people knew that he didn't exist any more. But, not Elway!

But, where you really fault Elway is that he didn't have a Plan "B". Drew Lock was the obvious Plan B if Joe Flacco either got hurt, or else just sucked.

So, we need to make sure we get Drew Lock ready to start as quickly as we can, just in case we need him to go in and play this season because Flacco for whatever reason can't play or sucks.

Then when Joe Flacco sucked and then got hurt in game 8, they were scrambling around like a stupid teenager who gets caught with his fly open at the family dinner.

Joe Flacco didn't play the entire season! Who could possibly have anticipated that? We don't really have an answer for that one, because we didn't bother to get Drew Lock ready as soon as we could! Now we're screwing around with Brandon Allen because "he's a gamer" in the infamous opinion of Vic Fangio, shortly before Allen's terminal performance in which he bled out and died.

To give Elway credit for Drew Lock playing like this is like claiming you are a genius because you picked the winning Lotto Number!

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    The problem is that if Flacco didn't work out, you would want to put Lock out ASAP. If you couldn't do that because of your own actions, you screwed up.

I'm happy it worked out.
    I must confess, your avatar is pretty much a spot on replica of how I pictured you in real life.
    Famous quotes by me:

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Gimpygod For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information