Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: After Not Rushing Drew Lock, the Broncos’ Patience Is Paying Off

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default After Not Rushing Drew Lock, the Broncos’ Patience Is Paying Off

Coming into Sunday’s game against the Texans, the Broncos hadn’t scored more than 24 points since Oct. 19, 2018—a 45-10 win against the Cardinals on Thursday Night Football. That’s 416 days of the Denver team watching high-powered offenses run the NFL and searching for some consistent quarterback play.

But that all came to an end when QB Drew Lock and the Broncos stunned the AFC South-leading Texans with a 38-24 upset on Sunday, with 30 of those points scored in the first half alone. In just the second start of his NFL career, the rookie quarterback threw for 309 yards—235 in the first half, which is the most passing yards in a first half by the Broncos since Peyton Manning had 282 in Week 5 of 2014—and three touchdowns.

So how did Lock get to this point in his career? The QB was somewhat of a surprise slide in last April’s draft; he was among the select prospects invited to Nashville for the draft, but his phone didn’t ring that first night. Lock is a CAA client, so he spent part of the next day at the Nashville-based agency’s office, waiting for his moment until Denver drafted him with the 42nd overall pick. Lock, who started all four of his seasons as a Tiger, had the prototypical size and arm strength and had a rare amount of experience for an elite talent.
    rest - https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/08/dr..._medium=social

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 9 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

But the Broncos aren't out of the playoff hunt.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    But the Broncos aren't out of the playoff hunt.
    Technically, no. Practically, yes.

Even if they run the table and finish 8-8, they would have to have multiple teams lose all their remaining games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I am old - I think rookie QB's belong on the sidelines with a clip-board tp start their careers, watching and learning. This approach seems to have paid off with young Mr. Lock
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I am old - I think rookie QB's belong on the sidelines with a clip-board tp start their careers, watching and learning. This approach seems to have paid off with young Mr. Lock
    Lock himself said virtually the same thing. He thinks the reason he is having success is directly due to waiting until he was ready. He basically admitted he wasn't fully prepared a few weeks ago, but feels much more comfortable now.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

He was injured so naturally he was going to be on the sideline regardless. Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    He was injured so naturally he was going to be on the sideline regardless. Lol
    True, but there are certain people (person) claiming he should have been playing weeks ago when he was eligible to come off of IR.

I don't think that would have been a good idea. I think they've handled Lock - after his injury - perfectly.

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'm not gonna say Lock is our QB for the next 10 years (I sure hope he is!), but damn if it isn't nice to have some optimism there for the first time in years since Manning left. At the very least, Lock has a chance to earn a commitment from this team these last few games and end the season on a positive note. Most impressive for me is how we are finally starting to see Scangarello's offense pay off a bit when we have a mobile QB, first with Allen and now even moreso with Lock. Flacco dropping Bacco for a Sacco was painful to watch.

My main hope is that we can keep a consistent coaching staff and start building around this young core moving forward. Lock, Sutton, Lindsay, Freeman, Fant, Risner, etc. are a solid start and our defense under Fangio has proven to be plug and play for most of the season. Once we get Chubb and some others back next year? Holy crap we can be scary. I'm already excited for the future which is more than I can say a month ago.

Even within our division the only team I envy is KC but that is only because of Mahomes who is somewhat of a unicorn. You want to be the old-ass Chargers? **** the Raiders and their guyliner wearing QB. Hell, even Kansas City needs to rely on suffocating teams on offense because coach Kool Aid man doesn't care about his defense.

We have the chance to be a balanced team for a long time to come and competing for the AFCW, but that all hinges on how we develop and build around Lock if and when he pans out. No pressure, Elway!
    Last edited by MasterShake; 12-10-2019 at 01:39 PM.

12. The Following 12 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I know this conventional wisdom has been challenged in the weeks that Lock was on the bench and we were languishing with Flacco and Allen -- but I think there is truth to this quote from Elway. The window of opportunity is so short in the NFL - if you struggle too much early then it can do damage to the player's credibility and confidence.

Juxtapose a week 1 Lock start with the weight of the world on his shoulders vs. being able to go out against Houston with nothing to lose and sling it. Hopefully that patience continues to pay dividends.

“I will say this: The most important thing for a young quarterback is not to put him out there before he’s ready,” Elway said in mid-October during his weekly radio interview on KOA radio. “So that is the most important thing and if he’s not ready, we’re not going to put him out there... And as you know dealing with quarterbacks, it’s a very tough thing because if you don’t put him in a situation where he has a chance to be successful and he’s not successful, the whole roof will cave in. So we have to make sure that Drew is ready when he does get in there, if he does get in there.”

14. The Following 7 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Maybe I was wrong and overly harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

16. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I know this conventional wisdom has been challenged in the weeks that Lock was on the bench and we were languishing with Flacco and Allen -- but I think there is truth to this quote from Elway. The window of opportunity is so short in the NFL - if you struggle too much early then it can do damage to the player's credibility and confidence.

Juxtapose a week 1 Lock start with the weight of the world on his shoulders vs. being able to go out against Houston with nothing to lose and sling it. Hopefully that patience continues to pay dividends.
    Exactly. Tim Couch and David Carr might just concur

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Exactly. Tim Couch and David Carr might just concur
    Those guys really didnt have the luxury of an vets in front of them to play. Its not the same standard for every QB, some can handle others cannot.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Those guys really didnt have the luxury of an vets in front of them to play. Its not the same standard for every QB, some can handle others cannot.
    Bad organizations ruined those guys; they should have brought in some old washed-up stiff to act as a mentor. Would they have been great? Who knows. And yes, Ben Roethlisberger can happen, ditto Dan Marino, but its not how the smart money bets

21. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Not going to anoint him yet......

maybe after sunday..........
    IN PATON I TRUST.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

The Broncos did not want to play Lock to start the year. That's fine - I didn't want Lock to start Week 1 either.

But then they restructured Flacco's deal right before the season, which means they will suffer if they cut him after this year. Now that doesn't make a lot of sense if the plan is to work Lock in during the season sometime.

Of course Lock was injured, so maybe they figured they'd redshirt him - but being as bad as they were meant that they would be drafting high in the first round again and needed to know if Lock was worth foregoing another top QB draft option in favor of help in other areas. So he HAD to play.

They still wouldn't "rush" him or even commit to pulling him off IR. If Brandon Allen had not completely faceplanted in bad weather and put up one of the worst Broncos performances in decades on offense, Lock might not have gotten on the field still. They were talking about holding him until the last 2 or 3 games of the year.

Drew took good advantage of his time healing and recovering. The VR system seems to have helped with his reads. He has had more time to get comfortable with what is being asked of him. But Denver can't really sell this as the plan all along, because it wasn't. It took a lot of carnage to get here. The 11-car pileup that was Denver's first 11 games resulted in what looks like the correct deployment schedule for Lock, and I'm glad. I wanted to see a bunch of him so that Denver could see what he offered over several games, and enough game tape for teams to adjust, before the draft decisions had to be made.

Lock is playing it like he really is the QBOTF. Sometimes you just get lucky in how that comes about. Denver's next goal should be to keep him alive. Fix the line, yo. It helps now that the first round pick won't be a QB, like it helped that Denver managed to snag Lock in the 2nd after passing on him in the first.

But thank luck, not planning. It wasn't great process to get here, so try to enact better process in giving your newly-minted QBOTF his best chance at long-term success please.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

24. The Following 15 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information